Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Need advice for video game for son. Jak3?? More info inside.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our son loves video games like Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter -- that sort of thing. He loved the first Jak game, but he hated the second. The second Jak required a lot of missions where you had to get from spot A to spot B in under 2 minutes and similar such things that he's not able to do. We bought him Ratchet 3, and he just finished that. He wants another one, and is asking for Jak3. However, since he hated Jak2 for the timed missions, I don't want to waste money on Jak3. Can anybody tell me if Jak3 has those sort of timed missions as in Jak2, or is it more like Jak1? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-05, 09:13 AM

If he didn't like Jak 2, he won't like Jak 3, it's pretty similar from what I remember. You might want to give the Sly Cooper series a shot, both of those are somewhat similar to Ratchet & Clank. The only timed missions I can recall are the optional ones in the first Sly, but those do not have to be completed.
Old 02-21-05, 11:11 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I'd go with the Sly games. Jak 3 is much like Jak 2 from every review I've read.
Old 02-21-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

why don't you just get some rentals and then buy the one he likes most
Old 02-21-05, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
why don't you just get some rentals and then buy the one he likes most
While that normally would be excellent advice, it won't really work in my situation. Unless my son gets to a spot he's stuck at during the 1-week rental period, he'll say he likes everything we rent. Then, we'll run out and spend the cash on the game, he'll get stuck, and the game will sit in the closet gathering dust.

Thanks for the advice above, though. Maybe we'll check out the Sly Cooper games.
Old 02-21-05, 09:12 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
One of my favorite platform games is Klonoa 2, I picked up a copy on Half.com for around $30. Another great game not mentioned yet is Ape Escape 2.
Old 02-22-05, 11:45 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Double Down
While that normally would be excellent advice, it won't really work in my situation. Unless my son gets to a spot he's stuck at during the 1-week rental period, he'll say he likes everything we rent. Then, we'll run out and spend the cash on the game, he'll get stuck, and the game will sit in the closet gathering dust.

Thanks for the advice above, though. Maybe we'll check out the Sly Cooper games.

Not to get too much off topic but in terms of your son getting stuck at certain levels...my nephew (8 yrs. old) is very similar in that regards. He gets frustrated when he can't get past a level or doesn't have much available (e.g. enough cars/tracks to choose from in a racing game). We ended up getting him the Action Replay that allows for gamesaves to be downloaded onto a memory card so that the games are now "opened up" for him. For example, in Simpson's Road Rage, he just wants to be able to pick any character and setting and with the gamesaves, he's able to to that. Otherwise, he would need to earn enough $'s to slowly unlock things. Right now he's not interested in beating games so much as he just wants to hop around levels. However, for most games, he can simply create a new profile and play the game without any help if he chooses to at some point. BTW, he has the Xbox but the Action Replay I believe is available for PS2 and maybe the Gamecube.