Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Revolution Features (?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
Nintendo Revolution Features (?)

http://gaming.engadget.com/entry/1234000380028623/

There’s already been at least one dodgy “leak” before about the Revolution, but supposedly the same tipster who dished some reliable early dirt on the DS has also given up some details about Nintendo’s next-generation game console. Here’s what this guy is claiming:

* That Nintendo is building gyroscopes into the controllers, presumably to add some sort of motion-control aspect to games.
* The console will have dual processors and built-in broadband (we’re assuming Ethernet, but maybe also WiFi?).
* There are no plans to connect the DS to the Revolution, but there could be some integration with the Game Boy Evolution.
* The Revolution will have four controller ports, a hard drive, and support for high-resolution displays and Dolby Digital 5.1 channel surround sound.
* The console will be backwards-compatibility with GameCube games, and in what would only be a swipe at Sony, its drive will use HD-DVD, rather than Blu-ray, discs.
* The console will launch with a new Mario game (of course), and there is a new Zelda game in the works.
* There’s some teaser stuff at the end about how the truly “revolutionary” part of the new console is going to be something that “is nothing new technically speaking. It’s just something that hasn’t really been applied to video games before.” The tipster also claims that his source would only tell him that “touching is good but feeling is better.”

We’re not even going to front that this stuff is all for real or not—we simply won’t know for sure until Nintendo unveils this thing at E3.

Who knows?

I like that they are using next generation storage media. HD is interesting. Gyroscopes, I don't know.
Old 01-24-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tanman
“touching is good but feeling is better.”
What?
Old 01-24-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's safe to assume that full HD support and an ethernet jack will be standard features for all the next gen consoles. DD5.1 is probably a good bet too.

The HD would be mildly surprising coming from Nintendo. I put them as the least likely of the 3 to include one standard.

The motion sensitive controller sounds intriguing. Anyone who's used a Gyration remote/mouse should have an idea of what this might add to gameplay. Seems somewhat experimental, but may turn out to be very cool.
Old 01-24-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
* That Nintendo is building gyroscopes into the controllers, presumably to add some sort of motion-control aspect to games. I can see Nintendo doing this.....Not thrilled about shaking and/or moving the controller, could get annoying.

* The console will have dual processors and built-in broadband (we’re assuming Ethernet, but maybe also WiFi?). I don't see this happening....Nintendo isn't keen with online gamin' from most of the Nintendo online gaming articles.

* The Revolution will have four controller ports, a hard drive, and support for high-resolution displays and Dolby Digital 5.1 channel surround sound. I hope so!! Pulling out the digital out from the GC was purely silly! Just hope they imbrace the HD revolution!

* The console will be backwards-compatibility with GameCube games, and in what would only be a swipe at Sony, its drive will use HD-DVD, rather than Blu-ray, discs. Would be great! But this is very Un-Nintendo. This sounds like a rumor. Nintendo's systems have always been strictly gaming...NO fluff like movies, music....would be nice to see it it turns out true.

* The console will launch with a new Mario game (of course), and there is a new Zelda game in the works. Zelda
Old 01-24-05, 07:55 PM

Well, hopefully Nintendo doesn't go too crazy with their controllers. I like my Gamecube, but their odd controllers, while very good for games designed for it, are just not as multi-functional as say the Xbox one. Some games just don't play well with that thing (or the N64 one). I do know they intend to lose the DPad, and no A or B buttons. Though I'm not sure what that means, sounds like they'll just rename the buttons.

I'm curious what that last innovation will be though. I don't want my Nintendo system molesting me.
Old 01-24-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gyro Control would be a great addition in my opinion, its very natural to move the controller while playing, may gamers do it already but don't realize it.

Nintendo has long said that internet gaming was not yet mature enough for a business model, and so far they have been right. Next generation could be a different story, then again Nintendo could include it and choose not to utilize it, who knows.

Very happy that Nintendo is pursuing HD-DVD format, I though Blu0ray was a shoe in until 4 major movie houses (Warner,Paramount,Universal, and New Line) signed onto HD-DVD. That coupled with the hardware support from most major vendors (including Sony's budy Toshiba) I thinkthat HD-DVD is going to become the next standard in optical storage.
Old 01-24-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think this could all be true. Nintendo looks like they have changed their minds on online the way that the DS is marketed so I would not be shocked to see built in broadband or a harddrive. The controller could be interesting, but as always I worry about something like that ending up gimmicky instead of being put to good practical use.

Actually this sounds like a heck of a console. I kind of like the fact its using HD-DVD for games, that means easy backwards compatibilty with regular DVDs right? Hopefully it will play movies and GameCube games. Don't really care that much about HD movies I won't be buying those right now.
Old 01-24-05, 09:06 PM
Retired

Sounds intriguing. I like the idea of having innovative control. I'm getting sick of playing the same thing over and over to some extent and would welcome some innovation.

My interest in gaming has been waning, hopefully this system will rekindle it. I'm 90% sure I'll buy this console and no others next gen, and if that doesn't get me gaming more than I have this gen, I'm out for good.
Old 01-24-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nintendo Revolution in 2006 or 2007 ??

Where is wavebird control 2 w/ dual Shock support? (I love wave bird control)

PS. Possible New Mario game come w/ Super Mario RPG as Bonus Disc
Old 01-25-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I predict a controller with just one button ala Atari 2600. Plus the gyro control built in. Nintendo likes to make things simple.
Old 01-31-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rumors from: http://cube.ign.com/articles/583/583559p1.html

Rumor 1
From Nintendo Power Forums

The poster claims his information came from an insider privy to Nintendo's plans. As is usually the case, the source goes unnamed and unverified. But he does spout some pretty interesting stuff. For starters, he claims the Revolution does in fact employ gyroscopic sensors in its controllers, even though they will not be wireless. He also claims the Revolution will sport dual processors and feature built-in broadband, with some kind of online strategy in the works. Nintendo will supposedly go online with the Nintendo DS first with the Revolution following suite. A hard drive will also be included. As far as controller parts are concerned, the Revolution will feature four like the GameCube.

The poster also claims the Revolution will forego using Sony's Blu-Ray storage format in favor of HD-DVD. The system would launch with a currently unnamed Mario title. The source wouldn't say why the system would be revolutionary, stating the leaked information would land him in hot water. He also claimed it would give Sony and Microsoft an advantage at this point in the development cycle. The source did claim the technology itself was nothing revolutionary, only that the system would use it in ways never before seen. The source then added, "Touching is good, but feeling is better." What that means is open to debate, but it leads us into…

Rumor 2
Gotta love this one. This rumor includes a shopping list of system features and a hand-drawn picture! Supposedly, the artist drew the picture from memory after seeing a document headed toward a Nintendo shareholder's meeting. The (very) rough sketch depicts a number of things, including a controller, shell case disk and a game system from two different angles. Emblazoned across the middle of the page is "Nintendo 21," which seems to indicate a name change from Revolution. Below that lies the "Nintendo 21" logo, which closely resembles the GameCube logo. It also serves to note that both angles of the system drawn on the page also resemble the GameCube, down to the placement of the four controller ports, as well as the "power," "reset" and "open" buttons.

But wait, there's more. The sketch is also connected with information detailing key system information. First, the "Nintendo 21" would hit retail late 2005. It will use a two-sided, 8mm disk with a 5.4 GB capacity and feature a shell case. The Nintendo 21 will also act as a wireless hub and serve a "home game function," letting it communicate with other Nintendo 21 consoles in the vicinity by using the IEEEE protocol. Kyosera, known primarily for designing cell phones and printers, is jointly developing the "home game" function. And here's some more info: the "Nintendo 21" will feature pressure sensitive controllers, with the buttons and handles sensitive to "rubbing" and other such stimuli.

Rumor 3
From Japanese Publication Shukan Diamond

In late December of last year, Shuken Diamond published a rather interesting bit of information concerning the GameCube's successor. The article, found in the 2005 Preview Edition of the magazine, claimed the Nintendo Revolution Controller would not feature a traditional D-Pad or "A" and "B" buttons. While the information goes unverified by Nintendo, the information strengthens the company's claim that Revolution will alter the way people interact with games. It also ties in nicely with Nintendo President Satoru Iwata's recent statement, in that Revolution presents a "paradigm shift" in gaming. All of this begs the question: what exactly stands in for the missing D-Pad and pair of buttons?

Your guess is as good as ours is. Moments after the news hit the Web, gamers stuffed message boards full of theories and wild speculation. Most of which centered on gyroscopic technology. To be fair, Nintendo does in fact hold patents for such technology, so it's possible that Revolution will mark Nintendo's first foray into tilt-sensitive controllers. Then there's the pressure sensitive controller, which respond to a player's "rubbing" of the handles. Others speculate on the possibility that Nintendo will use an evolved form of trackball. Still others think Nintendo will take the DS approach and include a touchpad. We've even heard rumors of a fancy new rumble device. Supposedly, it would allow a new level of immersion by accurately interpreting digital output into physical sensations.

Rumor 4
From U.S. Patent filed on July 21, 2004

This rumor centers on new technologies that would change the way a gamer actually watches a game. To start, here's a brief intro: a fixation point is whatever a gamer stares at most of the time when playing a game. Thing is, most games feature several of these fixation points, so developers have needed to devise methods of including every object on screen at all times. When this wasn't possible, the display needed to shift and prioritize objects according to the action. Developers accomplished this by zooming the image up or down, to help gamers re-focus their attention. Just look at any number of sports games. The camera invariably follows the soccer ball, baseball or football. The document argues that the constant change in perspective makes playing games tougher than it should.

The patent describes a technology that would prevent a fixation point from moving and prevent the display area from changing in size. Regardless of where a player sits, he (or she) would command a deep view of the happenings on screen. This would also carry over into multiplayer gaming, where multiple players would normally require multiple fixation points. The new set of technologies would eliminate the strain associated with split-screen gaming. In summary, this would all make for excellent game sessions thanks to unparalleled view of the display. Changing the way a gamer watches the action unfold on-screen would be somewhat revolutionary, but again, it's too early to tell exactly how Nintendo plans on using the tech described in the patent. Unless, of course, they already have to some degree...

ut that didn't stop anyone from speculating. Once again, rumors seeped into websites and forums. The conjecture pointed at everything from holographic imaging to new methods of image processing where a developer could create hyper realistic vistas at a fraction of the current processing cost. The latter of which alleviates concerns over the rumors that the Revolution will lack the raw processing power of both the PS3 and Xbox 2. If Nintendo has found a way to render realistic imaging at a relatively low processing cost, then it really doesn't matter that the Revolution will lack some of the punch of competing consoles. What matters is that it will stand on equal footing from a graphics stand point. Furthermore, the technologies developed to nix the forever-changing "fixation points" problem will only reinforce the new rendering methods...or so go the rumors.
Old 01-31-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know.

While I enjoy innovation, all I ever really ask for is solid gameplay. So, while a unique control scheme, etc. would be cool, I do not want to see it as a standard on a Nintendo system. Rather, make it an option that clever developers could use, but do not force them to use it in case they just want a standard control scheme. If Nintendo does break from traditional control completely (which I'd be surprised if they did), that could lessen the third-party titles even more.

But, all this is speculation and rumor so no need to worry yet. But, I can't help and wonder what kind of weird control I may need to use to play the future Marios, Zeldas and Metroids.

Also, maybe I missed this, but is there a rumor yet for backwards compatibility?
Old 01-31-05, 09:27 AM

I think it's great! Nintendo does these amazing things with their controller design. They usually work well with it's first Party games....but when it comes to thrid party games the controller stinks! Look at the gamecube controller, playing sport games on it is terrible...but the controller worked great with Luigi, Mario, Zelda, Mario Party games. I guess it doesn't matter, mostly people who buy Nintendo are only interested in Nintendo first party games and could careless for the evil third party games. Here's to something different

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 01-31-05 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by outer-edge
Also, maybe I missed this, but is there a rumor yet for backwards compatibility?
In the first post.

I can see all of this happening for a couple reasons:

1. Nintendo needs to gain a bigger foothold the next gen. This generation they skimpped on things like a HD, DVD support, online gaming, Dolby Digital and they see where it got them... a new rival in Xbox. With rumors of the next Xbox skimping of some of these things to save $$, it would be wise to offer what the rival isn't.

2. The departure of Sega this generation. Lets face it the PR guys can say they "will make consoles as long as they make games" all day long. If they can't sell a console for profit, Sega's route is a very realistic future. They need to do everything possible to gain more of the market back so this doesn't happen. Partner up with Sega for some exclusive titles.

I always loved Nintendo controllers more than others. I think the GCN fits like a glove. I forget it is in my hands. Up until then, the N64 pad was my fave. I hope they don't just discard the technology of the wavebird. It is hands down the best controller this gen. I would prefer a wireless standard on the next console, than a gimmicky new one. Wireless with some kind of charging/docking station instead of batteries is the way to go.

The big thing is launch titles. Mario is starting to show his age. A mature Zelda would be nice, but it seems they are already giving that to us this generation. A stellar launch list of third party games is a must. Flagship titles will guarantee the system to fly off the shelf the first week, but after that? Relying on name brand figures too much has become a hinderance. Luigi's Mansion, Wind Waker, Starfox Adventures, Donky Konga and others could have been launching pads for new franchises. They need to take more risks in this regard.

With Sony distracted with the PSP and Xbox, more than likely, not launching with Halo 3, Nintendo finds themselves with the biggest window of opportunity that they are likely to see. If they play their cards right, they could come out on top. I would like to see that, at any rate, the next generation.
Old 01-31-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
With Sony distracted with the PSP and Xbox, more than likely, not launching with Halo 3, Nintendo finds themselves with the biggest window of opportunity that they are likely to see. If they play their cards right, they could come out on top. I would like to see that, at any rate, the next generation.

That is actually a good point. The launch title could make a bigger difference this time around. Look what it did for the XBox. I think MS would be fighting a losing battle if it weren't for Halo as a launch title.

However, what did the PS2 launch with? Fantavision?
Old 01-31-05, 11:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If the Revolution had built-in WiFi I'd buy it at launch. That goes for all three systems.
Old 01-31-05, 12:11 PM
Retired

I'm more intigued the more I read about it. I'm getting sick of playing the same thing over and over with a new coat of paint, and would welcome something totally new.
Old 01-31-05, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don’t know whether or not sales will increase. At this point I feel Nintendo sells to a niche market. It’s hard to increase sales in a niche market. Nintendo has to do some heavy lifting to get out of this niche market and sell to a larger audience. They have to leverage themselves in away to satisfy the true Nintendo fanboy while also bringing in a new crowd. Nintendo needs to pull in those PS players, and Mario isn’t going to be their golden ticket for this crowd. They need fresh ammo to bring in this crowd.
Old 01-31-05, 12:47 PM
Retired

I honestly hope they just focus mainly on their niche market, I'd hate to see the Nintendo library watered down with GTA/Halo type games. It would be great if they put out some stuff like that to reel in those gamers, but not at the expense of life long Nintendo fans like myself.
Old 01-31-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Backwards compatible, if this happens I will be so amazed. Please name me the last time Nintendo has had a backwards compatible home console, never.
With a special adapter maybe, but never have they had a backwards compatible sytem: NES, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and now Gamecube. Everything else in this rumor mill I hope would be true, but I will be happy to just wait patiently a little more than 3 months now for actual solid news fom E3. As fas as a jump on the other consoles, since for example there will be no Halo 3 supposedly at launch for Microsoft. What about the fact that tentatively the schedule is as follows: XBox2 to come out the end of 2005, while Sony and Nintendo late 2006. Don't see how Microsoft would be worried since they would have a headstart in the first place.
Old 01-31-05, 02:24 PM
Retired

That's not good logic as I can't recall any system that was backward compatible before the PS2. So it's not like everyone was doing it but Nintendo back then.

They already made the GBA backwards compatible with GB/GBC and the DS with the GBA.

The only way I see the Revolution not being backwards compatible is if the controller is so different that it's not possible.

As for the head start for MS, it won't matter if they don't have any killer software (ala the Saturn). They really need Halo 3 out by the time the PS3 and Revolution launch, and prefereably a while before to get a user base built up.
Old 01-31-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I can't recall any system that was backward compatible before the PS2.
Atari 7800.
Old 01-31-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Rumors from: http://cube.ign.com/articles/583/583559p1.html
The patent describes a technology that would prevent a fixation point from moving and prevent the display area from changing in size. Regardless of where a player sits, he (or she) would command a deep view of the happenings on screen. This would also carry over into multiplayer gaming, where multiple players would normally require multiple fixation points. The new set of technologies would eliminate the strain associated with split-screen gaming. In summary, this would all make for excellent game sessions thanks to unparalleled view of the display. Changing the way a gamer watches the action unfold on-screen would be somewhat revolutionary, but again, it's too early to tell exactly how Nintendo plans on using the tech described in the patent. Unless, of course, they already have to some degree...
This seems kind of laughable to me. The whole different camera angle thing is meant to provide a more realistic feel and be like as if you're watching a real game on tv. Also for single player games a first person or over the shoulder view can make controlling your character more intuitive.

Of course whether this is a good idea or not is another argument but er, single screen sports games are hardly some great technological feat. Isn't this the way most sport games were on the atari 2600 and other 8bit platforms?

It could just be that the journalists interpretation of the patent is extremely bad in this case .
Old 01-31-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Simple suggestion for Nintendo:

Package two controllers in with the system. One of your crazy ones, one like the PS2/Xbox controller. This way, people can play your crazy games and Madden.

If you do not figure this out, you are going to go down. People like Madden. Madden killed Dreamcast. You are eventually going to put yourself out of business.

This is SO simple. Just make a basic controller w/ 4 face button and two triggers. Why won't they just do it?
Old 01-31-05, 06:15 PM
Retired

That would be a good idea. I love that they're trying new thing as I'm getting sick of gaming, but they really need to make sure not to alienate third parties further if they want to gain any ground on Sony.

So I'm kind of torn as I want them to stick around as their games are the primary reason I didn't give up gaming years ago, but at the same time I'd love to see them say screw it and try something totally new. I'll probably end up droping gaming next gen if all the consoles are just basic controllers with 4 face buttons and two triggers and the games are the same old same old with a fresh coat of paint for the graphics whores.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.