Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

EA takes over another sports league

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

EA takes over another sports league

Old 01-10-05, 06:44 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 78
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EA takes over another sports league

Well, in an attempt to bury ESPNs football engine, EA bought up the rights to the Arena Football League... how microsoft of them.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/578/578507p1.html
Old 01-10-05, 06:47 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 3,754
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My CFL 2K6 idea looks better and better by the day.
Old 01-10-05, 08:16 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
gr8fuldave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 553
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next they will buy the rights to the word "football" from Merriam Webster and then get ESPN even more. It will have to be called ESPN ball 2k6
Old 01-10-05, 09:34 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lansing, MI USA
Posts: 132
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, so much for the zero other companies who were planning on making an AFL game next year.
Old 01-11-05, 12:54 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 37,125
Received 890 Likes on 701 Posts
Originally Posted by gr8fuldave
Next they will buy the rights to the word "football" from Merriam Webster and then get ESPN even more. It will have to be called ESPN ball 2k6
Much like how Monster Cable bought the rights to the name "Monster" (and it's purported that Disney had to settle with them over Monster's Inc.).
Old 01-11-05, 02:18 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,756
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Much like how Monster Cable bought the rights to the name "Monster" (and it's purported that Disney had to settle with them over Monster's Inc.).
what about the movie Monster with Charlize (sp) Theron?
Old 01-11-05, 02:33 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,642
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
or how about Monster.com?
Old 01-11-05, 02:53 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or Monster burger?
Old 01-11-05, 02:53 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or Monster Garage?
Old 01-11-05, 02:58 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,686
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Or Monster Garage?
Sad, isn't it?
Old 01-11-05, 03:17 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,215
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Much like how Monster Cable bought the rights to the name "Monster" (and it's purported that Disney had to settle with them over Monster's Inc.).
I think you're wrong about that as I haven't heard that before. However, there was a movie that came out in 2001 starring Sarah Polley that was to be called "Monster". Disney sued the production which was a pretty low budget indie film directed by Hal Hartley and they production company could not fight it in court due to a lack of funds. Disney's reasoning was the name was too similar to Monster's Inc. and would create consumer confusion (despite the fact the film didn't come out at the same time and only played art houses). The films name was changed to "No Such Thing". Apparently by the time Monster came out starring Charlize Theron came out, enough time had passed that Disney wasn't concerned about it.
Old 01-11-05, 03:46 PM
  #12  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 473
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mordred
I think you're wrong about that as I haven't heard that before. However, there was a movie that came out in 2001 starring Sarah Polley that was to be called "Monster". Disney sued the production which was a pretty low budget indie film directed by Hal Hartley and they production company could not fight it in court due to a lack of funds. Disney's reasoning was the name was too similar to Monster's Inc. and would create consumer confusion (despite the fact the film didn't come out at the same time and only played art houses). The films name was changed to "No Such Thing". Apparently by the time Monster came out starring Charlize Theron came out, enough time had passed that Disney wasn't concerned about it.
Did John Mayer sue them next?

Actually, the most annoying thing to me is that when you use the term "Realtor," you are supposed to capitalize it, because the National Association of Realtors had the term trademarked. How obnoxious is that? Of course, you can get around it by using "real estate agent."

"Hi, I'm Sam and I am a Garbage Man."

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.