Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1/Only PSP Discussion Thread (No silly behavior allowed)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The 1/Only PSP Discussion Thread (No silly behavior allowed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 10:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wlj
maybe I just don't get it...but a PSP seems like just a portable PS2. The only way I can see someone wanting one is if they do alot of traveling or they are away from their PS2 alot or if there are going to be very cool exclusive games that will only be on the PSP....I haven't seen any yet that would make me want one. I will admit it looks pretty cool and I would like to see one in action, but I can't see myself sitting on my couch at home playing one. I have a Gameboy Advance, and I played it for like 2 days and put it on the shelf. I am not bashing the PSP or anything...I just don't think it will be that successful beyond the initial launch. Portables just don't appeal to the run-of-the-mill PS2/Xbox gamer.

wlj
It definitely travels better than a DS. Any game that incorporates the pen is going to suck on a bumpy ride of any sort.
Old 01-10-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
It definitely travels better than a DS. Any game that incorporates the pen is going to suck on a bumpy ride of any sort.
Old 01-11-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you said it has wifi and you were able to connect to your neighbor's internet connection... does it have any web surfing capabilities? also since the game is in a cd-type form, does it skip when using it?
Old 01-11-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
All I have to say is GTA for the PSP. I'm sold right there. 10 hours of play with MP3s is pretty nice as well.

I'm liking the PSP the more and more. I honestly see this and the must have item for the 2005 Christmas Holiday. Even over the possible Xbox 2.
Old 01-11-05, 10:41 AM
Retired

Though keep in mind that a good deal of the DS games don't use the stylus (or even the touch screen period). But the bumpy ride thing is a good point. I never play games while traveling other than flying, and I usually luck out and get pretty smooth flights, if not I'd just pop in a non touch screen DS game or a GBA game.
Old 01-11-05, 10:55 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by sofdec
I think someone said a full episode of family guy (in watchable quality) was cut down to 20MB.
It can make an episode of Family Guy watchable? Wow, it really IS an impressive device.
Old 01-11-05, 11:09 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Outeredge, probably will be few to no 2D sidescrollers or action games on the PSP, I'd get a DS for those (or stick with GBA). There probably will be some RPGs, given the number of them on the PS2. Strategy games I"m not sure of never many on portables (or consoles in general). DS might be better there with the DS Advance Wars (and can play the GBA Advance Wars games and Final Fantasy Tactics if you missed those)
Yeah, I think DS is definitely the way to go for strategy games. You've already got a very healthy library of stellar GBA strategy titles (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars 1 & 2, and several others). Advance Wars DS will be out in the next few months and with the touchscreen and voice recognition elements, I'd think the DS would be perfectly suited for future strategy titles, both RTS and turn-based.

I'm really eager to see what the PSP will have to offer in the way of RPGs. I don't have a PS2 and there are a slew of RPGs that come out for that system that I'm quite envious of. If the PSP hosts the same number, I'll be getting one.

Last edited by BeckysBoy; 01-11-05 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-11-05, 11:10 AM

I watch Family Guy/Aqua Teen/Sealab episodes on my v710 with the transflash, they are about 10-12 megs each, but of course it's a smaller resolution that it would be for a psp.
Old 01-11-05, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by BeckysBoy
Yeah, I think DS is definitely the way to go for strategy games. You've already got a very healthy library of stellar GBA strategy titles (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars 1 & 2, and several others). Advance Wars DS will be out in the next few months and with the touchscreen and voice recognition elements, I'd think the DS would be perfectly suited for future strategy titles, both RTS and turn-based.

I'm really eager to see what the PSP will have to offer in the way of RPGs. I don't have a PS2 and there are a slew of RPGs that come out for that system that I'm quite envious of. If the PSP hosts the same number, I'll be getting one.

C'mon Final Fantasy Tactics? You know PSP will have the FF series on it...plus major support with RPGs games.

Next thought....

Rumors are flying that the PSP will be $150!!!! Nice! Sony is going to make up for the $$ with software. However, in my eyes $150 is just amazing for a portable gaming and media center! If this turns out true Sony is really trying to hack at Nintendo’s DS sales.

If you solely look at VALUE...the PSP at $150 is a much better VALUE than a DS, hands down!

Plus I heard down the road you'll be able to access the web (web browser) on the PSP.

Now it just needs to brew coffee for me and I'm all set!

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 01-11-05 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-11-05, 11:57 AM

Hmm. 150 and I would get it for sure. I will likely get it either way, now that I can see all the nifty things it can do. My fiance might actually not think it's a game system even, if I show her the cool features.

I have no ps2 or ps1, so any of the games are new to me.. so that's another good point.
Old 01-11-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I play my DS on the couch 80% of the time; it's the perfect distraction when I'm casually watching a baseball game.
Old 01-11-05, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I have no ps2 or ps1, so any of the games are new to me.. so that's another good point.
Same here...never got a PS2
Old 01-11-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't believe the $150 price point rumors. I'm betting it will be $179.
Old 01-11-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks so much for a detailed and realistic review. I am pretty much sold on this now. Just thinking about the GTA game and especially FFVII spinoffs
Old 01-11-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
I play my DS on the couch 80% of the time; it's the perfect distraction when I'm casually watching a baseball game.
DS came out in November or so.. It's now Jan. No baseball games (pro or college) have been played since the DS came out. Please to be explaining?

Last edited by j123vt_99; 01-11-05 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-11-05, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
So what does this have to do with Loving the PSP?
Old 01-11-05, 02:24 PM
Retired

It was in regards to playing portable gaming in the house, rather than only on the go, as discussed above.
Old 01-11-05, 07:29 PM
Banned

2D fans: Vampire Chronicles

RPG Fans: Gahgorv Trilogy and Polipohenus (or somethign like that).
Old 01-11-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
DS came out in November or so.. It's now Jan. No baseball games (pro or college) have been played since the DS came out. Please to be explaining?
ESPN Classic... duh!

Or maybe Ralph is just casually watching a baseball game taking place outside his window? Use your imagination - I think the point he made still stands...
Old 01-11-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Watching movies comes by either the memory stick or umd. No movies on UMD yet, so we have use the memory stick only. I have been using Image Converter 2 and the results are impressive. The only thing I don't like is that Sony locked the resolution at 320x240 (or whatever the standard is) for memory stick movies. So you can't have a 472x240 (full resolution) movie unless you have a UMD... hopefully a firmware upgrade will fix that later.
So is this definitely true? This is a limitation in the device firmware rather than say the transcoding/encoding software?

If so, that moves the thing right back into the "wait and see" column in my mind. It looked like maybe Sony had seen the light when they added support for MP3's rather than forcing people to use ATRAC, but this type of limitation (presumably to force people to buy UMD movies rather than rip/encode their own) would just show that they're still clueless.
Old 01-11-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow. I had no interest in the PSP until I read all of this. Thank you!
Old 01-11-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 150.00 price would be nice but I too think it's a rumor. They want to be competitive but I can't see them going that low.

The comments about the games and accessories being higher priced to make up for the cost lost on the unit doesn't both me that much. I don't travel that much so I don't need a huge selection of games and that price would keep me from buying games without really reading up on them first. I could resist this thing right now if they didn't have Tiger Woods coming out on it. It is one of the games I have to buy each year.

I even went as far as to ask my wife if her Wal-Mart discount was good on video game systems. She reminded me that she used it for my replacement XBOX. I probably won't preorder. I'll just pray that they can keep a PSP in stock long enough at Wal-Mart for me to get there and buy one.
Old 01-11-05, 11:13 PM

sofdec , I'm curious to see how many minutes of film can you store with a 512MB Memory Stick Duo....Do you have a rough estimate? Thanks
Old 01-11-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Get Me Coffee
sofdec , I'm curious to see how many minutes of film can you store with a 512MB Memory Stick Duo....Do you have a rough estimate? Thanks
The new PSM covers the PSP in many areas. One of the many areas they touched on were the battery life and how much film you can store on certain memory sticks. This is what they had to say:

PSM: We coverted a 42-minute, 350MB movie to the lowest quality PSP format video, and it ended up 124MB. At the highest quality, the file size would be about twice that. So, a 256MB memory stick would be just enough to watch a nice quality hour long TV episdoe (without commercials). However, you'd need around 750MB for a solid two-hour movie.

They also said they played Ridge Racer to death with the PSP charged 100%, minimal time spent in any menus, without watching any replays, set to 75% in brightness and volume at its highest. At about 3hrs and 45 mins into play, the power light begin to flash and then just over 4hrs, the game was interrupted by a flashing low battery indicator, and the unit powered down.
Old 01-12-05, 12:13 AM

I use the middle quality (I believe its 384 or something like that -- I think theres also 700 something (And possibly even 1500!)) - 384 looks great to me, and the filesizes are small enough.

60 seconds (30 frames per second, 128 audio, stereo) at the 384 resolution comes to about 3.5MB, so at that resolution, a 120Min movie would be about 420MB. You can easily lower the quality (the one under 384 is also perfectly watchable) or change the frames per second, as well as the audio quality.. Apparently people have gotten 25 minute TV Episodes (Like family guy) to just 20-25MB at a watchable quality (Now I dont know if that means the 32kbps mono sound or what, but they said it was easily possible and didnt experience problems with the video).

One neat thing I just found out myself, is the PSP says "Digital Photos" under the photos menu.. thing is, there is no "Digital Photos" director on the PSP when you plug it in. I got the idea to plug the PSP Memory stick into my camera, took some pictures, then plugged it back into the PSP and sure enough, they do appear under "Digital Photos" if you do that. Its a nice thing for people with a sony camera .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.