Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Returning Videogames without a receipt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning Videogames without a receipt?

I got Outrun 2 for Christmas from my uncle. Unfortunately he mailed me the gift with no gift receipt?

Is there anywhere I can return this to without the receipt? He said he bought it from Target.
Old 12-25-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Most stores should let you exchange games for credit or another game without any issues. Although they might ask for your drivers license to track your exchanges so that you're not going overboard on them.
Old 12-25-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it hasn't been opened, Wal-Mart will take it back and give you a gift card. I've done this many times with no problem.
Old 12-25-04, 10:19 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Keep in mind, Outrun 2 is now $19.99 at Walmart...if he paid more, it may be best to find the recipt.
Old 12-26-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How about BEstbuy return w/out receipt after Xmas !!

have anyone try it yet ??
Old 12-27-04, 06:18 AM

Took Halo 2 and a game guide back to Best Buy to exchange yesterday with no problem whatsoever... no receipt needed, they just asked to see my driver's license.
Old 12-27-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

eagin

Wowow.... you rock !

I'll hit BB later this week hope they let me return/exchange it for store credit
Old 12-27-04, 11:49 AM

Bestbuy always gives me a hassle. Last year after christmas they wouldn't let me return anything because I had done it three times over the last three years.....all without reciept....all the week after christmas each year. I tried to rationalize with them and they said, yeah we know it's christmas returns, but you should get the reciept. I didn't even know they had gift receipts, I've never been offered one there. Sorry for the rant, just upset because they were legitimate christmas gifts and I spend like 3-5k a year there.
Old 12-27-04, 03:36 PM

Toys R Us changed their policy and will no longer accept Video Game returns without a receipt. They did last Christmas.
Old 12-27-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Er... why not return it to Target for store credit? They have a return policy that requires you to get something from the electronics section, but I'm sure you can find another game for around the same price.
Old 12-27-04, 10:40 PM

How about Electronics Boutique? Gamestop? Funcoland? Do they accept returns/exchange without receipt? Just wondering coz I got Star Wars Battlefront, I have it already, and I don't know where it was purchased.
Old 12-28-04, 01:09 AM

GameStop won't normally, but it might be different after Christmas. Otherwise they'll only give you money or credit back as if it was a used game, not caring if it's new and sealed.
Old 12-28-04, 10:52 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i tried to return Otogi 2 to Walmart....but when she scanned it the register said it wasn't from there so they couldn't take it. It is from Best Buy I know..but I have taken games back to walmart in the past and had no problem. I guess I will just have to make a trip this weekend to Bestbuy(40 miles away). I hope they don't give me a hassle...I don't have the receipt.

wlj
Old 12-28-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Took Mario Sunshine & Power Rangers: Dino Crisis ($5 CC games) and Die Hard 2 DVD (still shrink wrapped) that I got free from Columbia House 2 years ago to Best Buy yesterday and told them they were christmas gifts and I didn't have receipts. Got $63 store credit, used my $20 gift card plus two $5 off coupons and picked up Halo 2 and Burnout 3. The only time I every shop at Best Buy.... Oh yeah, I also got them to PM 4 copies of Ghost Recon 2 the other day as well at $20 each (K-Mart Ad)... so Best Buy is good for something
Old 12-28-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by edytwinky
I got Outrun 2 for Christmas from my uncle. Unfortunately he mailed me the gift with no gift receipt?

Is there anywhere I can return this to without the receipt? He said he bought it from Target.

Just took Star Wars BattleFront, Kingdom Under Fire and Outrun2 back to Best Buy. Got $39.99 each plus tax in credit for a total of $127.77 in store credit.

Not sure, but I think Best Buy used to do like 3 returns without a receipt per 12 months, or something like that. I'm only usually returning there around Christmas or B-day so I usually don't have an issue. Also, I think its like 3 occurrences, so I'm thinking that my returning 3 items today only counts as 1 occurrence. Although they may have tightened up with the whole devil customer thing

Normally I would have returned these to Walmart since they have much more than just games/electronics to use the credit on, but figured Outrun would get me much less there since it has been fairly low in price there (I think I've seen some people post here on at CAG about it being only $19.99 at Walmart).

Probably will plunk the credit down on a new printer as mine hosed up shortly before Christmas.
Old 12-29-04, 07:33 AM
Cool New Member

Blockbuster is also an option...Got 3 games (sealed) I already had and returned them with no receipt...The manager said as long as they were sealed they didn't care...So I returned them and had them put it on a giftcard that I could use online...That's another option for you guys...
Old 12-29-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never thought You can returned games at BB w/o receipt !!

Last edited by Jtnguyen12; 12-29-04 at 06:29 PM.