Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

So how is Burnout 3 - Takedown for everyone?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-16-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a search for this game, but cant even find the thread. So I made a new one since I ran out of variations of Burnout and Takedown

I wanted to ask, has everyone here got all the Golds? Ive been playing this god forsaken game on and off for a week doing levels to get the golds during spare time and I cant get 5. They all involve that fuckign US Circuit Racer (that stupid uncontrollable race car) and shit do I hate it. I mean is it even possible to get all the golds here? I tried looking for an online FAQ but none are helpful or just deal with the crash levels. This is sure turning into a vent because I hate bullshit games that suck the fun out of everything. These damn levels are all those timed ones with the awful racer and its total shit. Theyre long and boring and dont even leave room for error. One crash, four minutes into the level totally fucks you up and its all for none.

Than theres that stupid GP with the racer and thats impossible as the races are the tour that go across the whole level and take about 8 mins each. And has anyone done that level where you have to do a lap in 5 sec and get a gold? I got that one BARELY. This game is utter frusturation. No wonder it was easy to find used. I can go on forever stating how this game is bullshit.

In order not to make this thread a useless rant, anyone have any tips or anything? I play these damn levels hugging the walls of oncoming traffic and that doesnt even help.
Old 12-16-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I haven't played it since Halo 2 came out. That and Pikmin 2 have been taking up my time. But I never finished it.

The only mode I really had issues with was the one on one time attacks. What a bitch of a mode that is. Wreck twice and you are screwed. Let off the boost and you are screwed. Lose-lose situation.
Old 12-17-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I loved that game while I was doing all the Crash Junctions. As soon as I finished those and started getting into the actual racing, I gave up on it within a couple of days. I don't think that I have ever started out loving a game so much and then loathing it later on. Rubber band AI isn't always a bad thing, but it was cranked up to a ridiculous degree in this game.
Oh well, I got one good thing out of it. I ended up getting about 2$ less than what I paid for it when I traded it in on GTA:SA.
Old 12-17-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
A great game, but it got tiring quickly, so I sold it. I might pick it up again when it's $20.
Old 12-17-04, 03:45 AM

Like you Collven, I have NEVER played a game and have so much fun, just to end up loathing it but also cursing the developers of the game and their families (its that frusturating!) I need only 4 more medals but this came is pure bullshit. It involves NO skill, just blind stinking luck. I can understand hard timed levels, but with traffic? Horrid... A pox upon EA
Old 12-17-04, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

And the thing is, they could fix it. Have some d/l patch or something. If they really wanted to.
Old 12-17-04, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i still play it. i suck at racing games and i got all golds so keep trying. the circuit racer is indeed very difficult to control and that was definitely the hardest car to use for the preview laps and it took me quite a while to try to win. also, note that the GP's, you don't necessarily have to win all of the races to get the gold.

you really need to practice following the lines and knowing generally where the other cars are coming from. good luck.
Old 12-17-04, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I haven't played it since Halo 2 came out.
Same here. Actually all my games have been lonely since Halo 2 came out. All I have played is Halo 2 online and I still haven't touched the campaign!

The great character I had going in Fable was even put on hold.
Old 12-17-04, 08:36 AM

The thread was big on this a few months ago ; )

In short, the game is fun as all hell, but it gets HARD as you mentioned. I'm sure someone has gotten all the golds, but not in this house.

Play online sometime and you'll be amazed at how good some of those people are... and they'll be driving Circuit Racers that they've won and know how to control.

Even though I'll never get all the golds, I think that game is a great value, what with number of races, crashes, LIVE play, etc.
Old 12-17-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Same here. Actually all my games have been lonely since Halo 2 came out. All I have played is Halo 2 online and I still haven't touched the campaign!

The great character I had going in Fable was even put on hold.
I haven't even played one game of Halo 2 on Live.
Old 12-18-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I must be in the first phase now, because I can't stop playing burnout 3... all other games have been put on hold until I get all the golds I possibly can...I'm only about 60% finished right now...I hope I don't start to hate it shortly like the rest of you!!!!

MATT
Old 12-19-04, 02:58 AM

Well I probably sound like an idiot now, but just to let you guys know it can be done...

I got ALL the Gold Medals! Actually, after I learned how to use that GOD DAMN US Circuit Racer a little better, I was able to just barely get the golds in everything. It was a bitch. Thinking back, it didnt really take too long and I got the last few golds just by paying no mind and having fun. I got 2 in like ten minutes before I left for the day. Not too shabby. The final GP for the whole enhilada was easier than shit, I didnt even try and got 1st on all the races the first time I went through the levels.

Im only 99% done, I need another trophy and 2 more sig takedowns. Those should be a cakewalk.
Old 12-20-04, 12:07 AM

All need now is this thing for a trophy and Im all done:

02. 2 Tram Takedowns in a Race

This is a bitch though. It cant be on a Road Rage? Has anyone here gotten this? Any tips? Is a tram the ones in the USA only or do the ones in Europe count?
Old 12-20-04, 11:39 AM

Great game, but like others have said I got bored with it fairly quickly. Getting all golds in Crash Mode was a breeze, but now I'm stuck on the very last GP race in Asia. I can't for the life of me understand how its nearly impossible to get more than a few seconds ahead of the pack, yet after two crashes I'm 30+ seconds behind. I don't have the time/inclination to master games anymore, so this one is sitting on the shelf for the time being.
Old 12-20-04, 11:44 AM

I completed this 99% with all golds in both Crash and Race modes. I also completed all signature takedowns, crash headlines, etc. The only thing I didnt finish was getting the trophys, the only thing I have to do to finish is getting 2 last checkmarks for 1500 and 2000 takedowns for the expert trophy.

This game is really good, im gonna try XBL with it pretty soon once i get some time

Edit: BTW the Race golds are a terror to complete, the computer AI gets to be very cheap as mentioned, it takes some determination to get the golds in some of the last races

The Tram takedowns, I got in Road Rage in europe, the Signature Take down calls it Euro Tram Takedown

Last edited by D_N_G; 12-20-04 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-20-04, 04:49 PM

Well, I beat everything last night, around 3 am. Took about 2 hours to ge the sig takedown of a Tram Ram (cause it can only be done in the US) and to get TWO tram crashes in a race (that I did in Europe, and could only be in a race, not Road Rage)

So I am now at 100% and I wont play this god forsaken game for a LONG TIME!

Old 12-20-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by D_N_G
This game is really good, im gonna try XBL with it pretty soon once i get some time
Good luck. I gave up on it after a few days. Those people have way too much time on their hands.
Old 12-21-04, 08:31 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont know if this helps, but on one course you can REALLY cut corners. What looks like a metal fence/railing really just knocks down like orange cones and you can shave off big chunk of time. Its on one of the US tracks and I dont know if it has to do with the race you're talking about. I never finished it either but its a fun game!
Old 01-17-05, 09:56 AM

Well, I felt obliged to post a short message here. Everybody is so negative about this game. But it's AWESOME!!! Playing against the computer is only the start. Of course the computer cheats and that's sometimes annoying. But if you race well and learn the tracks, you should be able to beat them fairly easy. Than you learned and the real fun begins on Xbox LIVE. For months I am playing now and this game never bores. And the speed of the game is incredible. All other race game are useless now beceause they all are so sssllllllllloooooooow. This is game is the best! I love it.

Last edited by Buzz Lightyear; 01-17-05 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-17-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^ yep. I am spoiled by this game, all other races will pale in comparison, speed wise.
Old 01-17-05, 12:04 PM

I played this last night at a friend's house and thought it was a blast. The multiplayer aspect is a lot of fun, especially because of how many options there are besides the stereotypical "fastest lap".

It does a great job of showing speed and with traffic and all the other factors, I didn't even mind when I was the third person and had to watch.
Old 01-17-05, 06:00 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am still in the "Lovin' it" group, I only have about 40% done, but I have golds in everything that is unlocked in the USA (except the preview on downtown,) and golds in almost all crashes. I think I am only missing 3-4 headlines, although I am still missing about 15 signature takedowns.
Old 01-19-05, 03:04 PM

Good to know I'm not the only one. At the beginning I thought this game was truly a gift from the Gods of arcade racing. Now I'm to the point where some of these races are just ridiculous. Can't let off the boost for a second or your dusted, yet one wreck sends you from 1st to 5th. Whatever.
Old 01-20-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
I have to agree with the first couple of posts. My roommate got it as a gift for the holiday's and I nabbed it from him and played it like crazy for a week. I finished all of the crash junctions (made sure i got gold on each - so that probably added to the timing), which took ~24 hours game clock, and now i find myself bored. it's not that the racing is boring, but i know how much i put into it and i'm only ~2/3 of the way complete. i just feel it got very repetative. i was going to buy it so all of us could play at the same time, but i don't see any need to shell out $50. I'll wait until it drops to get my own copy.
Old 01-20-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
Yeah, I really enjoyed playing/watching it, but I ended up selling it when I could still get something for it.

It was fun but I've got a lot of other games that are more my speed (Halo 2, San Andreas, Super Mario DS, etc.)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.