Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

World of Warcraft game thread - 'official' dvdtalk server inside.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

World of Warcraft game thread - 'official' dvdtalk server inside.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 03:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Druids can only be played by two races: Night Elf and Tauren. A lot of people are put off by playing a talking cow, which is why you see more of them on the Alliance side.
Old 04-28-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginwen
I just swim down. I haven't drowned yet (well, from mining anyway, I did drown once after fighting when I didn't quite get to the top in time).

Would you happen to know what the default controls are for going underwater? It seems a little confusing.

thanks.
Old 04-28-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by timewaster
why is this so?
Do they suck at high levels just like warlocks?
why more so for the horde?
How are they in pvp?
Guess I need to start reading up on the WoW druid forums.
(forums are blocked at my work)
Bear in mind that druids are the most limited class in the game in terms of which races can pick them.

Just my opinion, but I think they're too generalized. They do healing, yes. They can tank in bear form, yes. They can do damage in cat form, yes (although there are problems with this currently). They just can't do anything really as well as other classes. Warriors will always be better tanks. Rogues will always do better damage. IMO, priests will always be better as the healer because priests have a more useful rez. Druids are really nice to have in groups, but if I can only round up one healer, I'd prefer a priest. Even without a priest, I'd be tempted to pick a paladin, thanks to their survivability and rez skills.

With Horde, I easily understand why. If you're going to play a hybrid class in the game, Shaman is easily the way to go. Healing ability + ranged damage + good survivability (mail/shield) + decent melee is really nice.

This is all my opinion, though. Maybe I'm nuts.
Old 04-28-05, 05:45 PM

Tuan Jim - Your right mouse button is your friend. Try to make a habit of using it very often. It is a look button. Hold down your right mouse button and move the camera the way you want your character to move and press your forward button. This is how you dive down into water.

I'm not sure if the DVDTALK WoW server is a PVP server, but using the right mouse button in PVP is a necessity. You have to be very mobile.

CaptainMarvel - Nope, you're definately right. Restoration specced Druids can be as good as Priests (if not better) in healing, but the resurrection gimps the heck out of them. Sure, rezzing in battle is awesome, but if you can only rez once in 30 minutes, you better make sure you don't make any accidents in instances.

I've tried my hand at a druid twice and I really liked it. But then, just recently, I rolled a Shaman. There's no reason for me to drop back into Druid now. Shamans are ridiculous. I thought Rogues had the best abilities to get themselves out of trouble.. but with my Shaman.. nothing scares him.
Old 04-28-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by khai
Tuan Jim - Your right mouse button is your friend. Try to make a habit of using it very often. It is a look button. Hold down your right mouse button and move the camera the way you want your character to move and press your forward button. This is how you dive down into water.

I'm not sure if the DVDTALK WoW server is a PVP server, but using the right mouse button in PVP is a necessity. You have to be very mobile.

CaptainMarvel - Nope, you're definately right. Restoration specced Druids can be as good as Priests (if not better) in healing, but the resurrection gimps the heck out of them. Sure, rezzing in battle is awesome, but if you can only rez once in 30 minutes, you better make sure you don't make any accidents in instances.

I've tried my hand at a druid twice and I really liked it. But then, just recently, I rolled a Shaman. There's no reason for me to drop back into Druid now. Shamans are ridiculous. I thought Rogues had the best abilities to get themselves out of trouble.. but with my Shaman.. nothing scares him.
No Cenarius is not a PVP default server but since honor I am seeing more pvp enabled players.

As far as your shaman how is he for soloing? That is always my concern since I tend to solo mostly except for instances.

Also does anyone know the number of alts you can have? I thought it was 6 but is that total or per server? I just tend to reroll a lot to try out new classes and professions. I do have a few keepers so far but I hate rerolling only to decide I liked my previous alt better.
Old 04-28-05, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
No Cenarius is not a PVP default server but since honor I am seeing more pvp enabled players.

As far as your shaman how is he for soloing? That is always my concern since I tend to solo mostly except for instances.

Also does anyone know the number of alts you can have? I thought it was 6 but is that total or per server? I just tend to reroll a lot to try out new classes and professions. I do have a few keepers so far but I hate rerolling only to decide I liked my previous alt better.
He's not too developed yet. I'm almost to level 22 right now. But seriously, soloing with him is serious cake. With my rogue, I had trouble with things 3 levels higher than me. I would either get parried or miss more than half of my melee attacks.. most of it is because of the penalties in hit percentage when dual-wielding.

With the Shaman, you'll go one hand and shield. So when you fight monsters 3-4 levels higher than you, you get the bonus in armor with the shield and better hit percentage with the one hand weapon. Add that with decreased damage from attacks from a totem, a totem blasting fire for extra damage, and another totem that heals you a little bit per tick, and you're set to stand there for a good 5 minute fight.

Right now, if it gets nasty and 3 adds drop into the fight, you can just drop an earthbind totem to slow down the mob, get a little distance, and ghost wolf the heck out of there. Later on, you get a reincarnation ability that lets you rez yourself if you get beat up. Is that not crazy?

The shocks are ridiculous too. Earth shock interrupts spell casting and has a 20 yard range. And I'm sure you know about the famous frost shock.

I was looking down the restoration talent tree and noticed a Mana tide totem you can get if you go 30 points into it. It restores 140 mana points every 2-3 seconds. WOW!
Old 04-28-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's not too developed yet. I'm almost to level 22 right now. But seriously, soloing with him is serious cake. With my rogue, I had trouble with things 3 levels higher than me. I would either get parried or miss more than half of my melee attacks.. most of it is because of the penalties in hit percentage when dual-wielding.

With the Shaman, you'll go one hand and shield. So when you fight monsters 3-4 levels higher than you, you get the bonus in armor with the shield and better hit percentage with the one hand weapon. Add that with decreased damage from attacks from a totem, a totem blasting fire for extra damage, and another totem that heals you a little bit per tick, and you're set to stand there for a good 5 minute fight.

Right now, if it gets nasty and 3 adds drop into the fight, you can just drop an earthbind totem to slow down the mob, get a little distance, and ghost wolf the heck out of there. Later on, you get a reincarnation ability that lets you rez yourself if you get beat up. Is that not crazy?

The shocks are ridiculous too. Earth shock interrupts spell casting and has a 20 yard range. And I'm sure you know about the famous frost shock.

I was looking down the restoration talent tree and noticed a Mana tide totem you can get if you go 30 points into it. It restores 140 mana points every 2-3 seconds. WOW!

damn time to roll a shaman. I haven't tried the horde yet so maybe that will be a good start.
Old 04-28-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)

Thanks for the details. I've been using the right-click, but didn't know you had to hold it down. Hadn't seen too many details on the camera controls elsewhere.
Old 04-28-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by innocentfreak
damn time to roll a shaman.

No shit. Looks like that'll be my next character once my mage hits 60.
Old 04-29-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lopper
No shit. Looks like that'll be my next character once my mage hits 60.
I'm not sure how much I buy into it or not, but there's a conspiracy theory that shamans are so powerful to entice people into playing Horde. Most servers have more Alliance than Horde, so I can see how that would work.

I hate fighting shaman mobs in the game, much less shaman players. Those totems are just obnoxious.
Old 04-29-05, 08:24 AM

I play a Shaman. We aren't as overpowered as everybody thinks, sorry. It starts to go downhill at Level 40, when other classes come into their own.

For one thing, we have no crowd control. None. Unless I'm fighting greenies, generally an ADD means I have to flee or die.

Don't get me wrong, Shamans are pretty cool and fun to play. But we aren't as uber as the whiners on the Official Boards would have you believe.

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to solo an elite mob 10 levels above me using only Frostshock.
Old 04-29-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a 52 shamen and was considering an alt druid char.
Druids are actually better tanks and better healers than shammies. They just can't do both at the same time.
Here are my observations on shammies...

I only drop totems if there are no other mobs around me or i'm in a group. otherwise it will attrack other mobs like sh*t to flies so I rarely use it when soloing.

The ghost wolf/earthbind does help u get away but isn't always successful because it can be resisted or you can be stunned.

shammies are really good for pvp because of the instant cast spells (shocks)

Their healing spells and damange spells are not as mana efficient as mages and priests, so if ur soloing there is a bit of downtime.
Old 04-29-05, 08:43 AM

I agree with almost everything timewaster says.

I very rarely use my shocks in group PvP, though. The range on them is very short, so if you move in close to use them everybody and their grandmother is hitting you. Chain lighting is my most treasured group PvP spell, since I can zap three enemies at once, and also hit people who would normally be out of range.
Old 04-29-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I agree with almost everything timewaster says.

I very rarely use my shocks in group PvP, though. The range on them is very short, so if you move in close to use them everybody and their grandmother is hitting you. Chain lighting is my most treasured group PvP spell, since I can zap three enemies at once, and also hit people who would normally be out of range.
i have a different experience for shammie group pvp. In pvp, nobody stands around and everyone is always moving. Because of this, I rarely ever use lightning spells because they take too long to cast. If it is a melee class, I usually shock and use earth bind to move away. All others, I just shock and run up to melee them.
Old 05-01-05, 05:11 PM

Orphan's week has begun! Don't forget to adopt yours!
Old 05-02-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Orphan's week has begun! Don't forget to adopt yours!
what is the point of this? I'm not ripping it, i honestly don't know what its all about.
Old 05-02-05, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
what is the point of this? I'm not ripping it, i honestly don't know what its all about.
You pick up your orphan in Stormwind or Orgrimmar depending on faction. The orphan will have a total of 5 quests for you that requires you taking them to different locations. Once you have completed all 5 quests you return them back to the capitol city. The quests yields you exp. and reputation across your whole faction, no physical rewards. Had a good laugh seeing a handful of orphans running around in an UBRS raid.
Old 05-02-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Where do the horde orphans have you take them? are they orc kids? i did the human orphan quests, you get about 5000 exp. You have to take them to: loch modan damn, westfall lighthouse, darnasses bank, lady at thermadore, ice vender in stormwind; then back home to stormwind. pretty easy if you have the flight paths and/or are a wizard with the teleport spots. I did the quests as a level 38 and a level 16.
Old 05-02-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The horde orphan has you take him to the throne room in Undercity, the docks at Ratchet, the border of the Barrens and Ashenvale, to Cairne in Thunder Bluff and ice cream in Orgrimmar.
Old 05-02-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow this sounds like an easy quest.
where in ogrimmore do u pick up this quest for the horde?
Old 05-02-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by timewaster
wow this sounds like an easy quest.
where in ogrimmore do u pick up this quest for the horde?

Ugh, I'm really bad with names in the real world, and trying to remember the names of places in WoW is damn near impossible, but I remember them being in the Valley of Heroes (?) in Org. There's a quest giver near the pond that'll give you an orphan.

And the quests are super easy. I think it took me all of 30min from start to finish. Still, a nice change of pace, I suppose.
Old 05-03-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should have had some orphan quests in contested areas that both horde and alliance orphans would have to go to, like the tower between tarren mill and southshore. Ice cream sales are going to be crazy this week, especially since you only need one but have to buy a 5 pack.
Old 05-03-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was on my way to shimmering flats when I just re-read the quest and got the ice cream next to the inn in Stormwind. Also got some laughs by using the /slap and /spit emote on my poor orphan
Old 05-04-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was also thinking "oh crap Shimmering Flats", when my wife actually read the quest and said, "idiot, its in stormwind". i have the hardest time completely reading the quests. i always just skim over and do something wrong. it happens with every other quest.
Old 05-04-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I was also thinking "oh crap Shimmering Flats", when my wife actually read the quest and said, "idiot, its in stormwind". i have the hardest time completely reading the quests. i always just skim over and do something wrong. it happens with every other quest.
a real big brother would take him to shimmering flats!

--
it is true that people don't seem to read quests though. so many, "where is so and so?" requests in the general /1. guys! did you read the quest? it tells you where to go.

Last edited by young; 05-04-05 at 12:20 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.