Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Why is Halo 2 rated M

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-04, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is Halo 2 rated M

Hello,
I have an 8 year old that has been playing Halo with his other buddies about the same age.
He is hounding me for Halo 2, but I am wondering if it really deserves an M rating. I played the first Halo (not all the way through), but I didn't think it was too bad.
I have also Played GTA and there is no way I would allow my son to play that game.
Is there harsh language in Halo 2. I noticed the first one didn't list language and Halo 2 does.
Thanks for your help on this.
Old 11-07-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Online play changes everything... can't really speak for the content of the single player experience.
Old 11-08-04, 12:07 AM

well if you've taught him right then all should be well. as long as he knows it's not real then i think it's fine. there's a lot of blood i guess and that's why they would've put the M on it. i'd let my 14month old watch me play.
Old 11-08-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by LuisL
there's a lot of blood i guess and that's why they would've put the M on it. i'd let my 14month old watch me play.
Well, he did say that the description for the M rating lists language while the first one didn't, so there must be some dialog that could be objectionable.

What I would do is check GameFAQs after the game is released. People with lots of time on their hands will write transcripts for popular games. I'm sure it won't be long before someone does that for this game. If there isn't a FAQ labeled as a script, check the general FAQs and see if anyone has the dialog in there.
Old 11-08-04, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,130 Posts
to Brewser for being a responsible parent and keeping an eye on what the kid is doing.
Old 11-08-04, 07:03 AM

One thing I always said when parents were looking at games for the kids and asked my opinion on halo's M rating was, "A game like halo isn't too bad because even though there is killing stuff, there are clear good and evil sides and your saving the universe not just be violent for violences sake like GTA". After all is said and done it's only the parents who can decide what their child can handle.
Old 11-08-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Originally posted by Blotto
One thing I always said when parents were looking at games for the kids and asked my opinion on halo's M rating was, "A game like halo isn't too bad because even though there is killing stuff, there are clear good and evil sides and your saving the universe not just be violent for violences sake like GTA". After all is said and done it's only the parents who can decide what their child can handle.

And flourecent blue "alien blood" in video games really does take away the impact of the kills.
Old 11-08-04, 10:06 AM

If I am not mistaken ..during the battles where there are marines present ...they may let loose with a blue word here and there. I am not certain but definitely seems more than appropriate if that is the case.
Old 11-08-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
How big is Halo 2?

Xbox game could make $75 million in 24 hours, give Grand Theft Auto a run for its money.
November 8, 2004: 1:42 PM EST
Game Over is a weekly column by Chris Morris

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - How big is "Halo 2"? Pre-orders for the game have topped 1.5 million copies. That means in its first 24 hours of retail availability, the game could record $75 million in revenue.

How big is "Halo 2"? Gary Cooper, an analyst for Banc of America Securities, expects the game to sell upwards to 3.5 million copies by Dec. 31. In an October note to investors, Cooper said the release of "Halo 2" could be "the event of the year" -- despite the fact that "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" is likely to sell more total copies.

How big is "Halo 2"? When the clock strikes midnight on Nov. 9, some 7,000 toy, video game and electronics stores around the country will open their doors and welcome thousands of eager players. In New York's Times Square, the Toy R Us flagship store will host a massive launch party, complete with celebrity guests.

With more than 5 million copies of the original game sold, Microsoft has good reason to throw such an elaborate party. "Halo: Combat Evolved " made the Xbox cool. It's arguable, in fact, that without "Halo," Microsoft might not have succeeded in the console market.

Now, the company is looking for "Halo 2" to take the Xbox to even greater heights. For more than two years, Microsoft has been carefully building the hype for the game. While demand for "Halo 2" began as soon as most people finished the original game, the PR machine kicked things into overdrive in August 2002.

That's when Jason Jones, head of Bungie Studios (the Microsoft division that made both games) gave one of the greatest hype-filled quotes the industry has ever seen: "Halo 2 is a lot like Halo 1, only it's Halo 1 on fire, going 130 miles per hour through a hospital zone, being chased by helicopters and ninjas ... And, the ninjas are all on fire, too."

Creating too much demand for the game has a downside, though. Last month, a pirated build of "Halo 2" appeared on the Internet. And despite a sticker on the game's box urging retailers to not sell copies until Nov. 9, some stores chose to ignore the embargo -- leading to a feeding frenzy on eBay this weekend. The collector's edition of the game, which will retail for $55, was selling for as much as $265.

The Master Chief continues the fight with the Covenant in "Halo 2".
Microsoft is hoping to keep that momentum going once legitimate copies go on sale -- and has spent the last several months doing all it can to incite gamer hysteria. In July, the company began running "Halo 2" trailers before major motion pictures. It also wooed the hard-core gaming audience with an online, alternate-reality game, which proved to be an enormous success.

It's a costly gamble, but one with big stakes. In 2003, video game industry sales topped $11 billion in the U.S. Microsoft (Research) has been steadily gaining ground in the industry, but still has a long way to go before it's on the same level as Sony (Research). There are 9.8 million Xboxes in homes around the country, compared to 24.9 million PlayStation 2s.

"Halo 2" is about as safe a bet as it can make, though. Over the past three years, the first "Halo" has never fallen out of the list of Top 10 sellers for the Xbox. And it held on to its original $49.99 price for a remarkable 48 months after release.

The sequel will not only continue the story laid out in "Halo", it will fulfill the top player demand from the first game: online play. Gamers will be able to compete against each other via Xbox Live -- which should see a big spike in subscribers, putting even more money in Microsoft's coffers.

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Game Over

Video Games

Microsoft Corporation

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

Reviews for "Halo 2" have been overwhelming so far -- averaging 97 percent, according to GameRankings.com, which compiles reviews from Web sites and offline publications. Some of that is the hype that comes with any highly anticipated release -- most reviews tend to downplay the rather frustrating ending -- but the game is genuinely entertaining, engrossing and an improvement over its predecessor in many ways.

So how big is "Halo 2"? Big enough that even grocery stores were taking pre-orders for it in the weeks leading up to the game's release.

EXTENDED PLAY

Click here for more gaming news and commentary.

I noticed this last month when my wife sent me on a mission to pick up dog food and yet another bag of Halloween candy (previously purchased bags had "mysteriously disappeared"). As I walked through the doors of my friendly, neighborhood Shoprite, the sign was there on the door -- "Reserve your copy of 'Halo 2' here!"

Granted, grabbing one of the year's hottest video games along with a pound of ground beef and a jumbo bag of Cheetos might seem a little odd, but it does serve to underline the growing importance of the video game industry.

Wasn't the release date of Halo 11/01 ? If so how is that 48 months?
Old 11-08-04, 05:17 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In an effort to steal the thunder from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, you can now pick up hookers in the Warthog.
Old 11-08-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can think of a few reasons, based on my experiences with Halo 1:

1) The violence isn't realistic, and hardly as graphic as Solider Of Fortune or Doom 3. But it can get kind of intense: you can shoot the heads off of grunts, etc.

2) Even though the aliens are clearly aliens, they're not all paper-thin embodiments of evil. The little guys, for instance, are funny and kind of cute. When you surprise them, they run around, waving their arms over their heads, shouting, "They're everywhere!" And yet you have to shoot them anyway. That might make kids feel bad (especially shooting its head off with a sniper rifle.)

Spoiler for the next one (highlight text with your mouse to view):
Spoiler:
Halo 1 featured The Flood, a race of parasitic zombies, and they're back for Halo 2. They could be quite startling and creepy for kids. They graft themselves onto types of monsters you've already seen and grow new, random limbs and such. I imagine that an undead human with some floodlings attached would give some young kids bad nightmares.

- David Stein
Old 11-08-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

LOL, haven't you heard?

video games like halo train your kids to shoot guns and kill.
Old 11-08-04, 08:43 PM
ams

I would think that the online play is the reason that it gets a mature rating. I, for one, would never let a child have a headset and be exposed to the racism, foul language, and all around a-holes that are mouthing off on these microphones.
Old 11-08-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ams
I would think that the online play is the reason that it gets a mature rating. I, for one, would never let a child have a headset and be exposed to the racism, foul language, and all around a-holes that are mouthing off on these microphones.
They're starting a Hello Kitty MMORPG, you know. It'd be amusing to see it rated M just because Peach Kitty might call Mauve Kitty a phukf@c3.

- David Stein
Old 11-08-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ams
i doubt this. otherwise, pretty much all live games would be rated M.
Old 11-08-04, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by ams
I, for one, would never let a child have a headset and be exposed to the racism, foul language, and all around a-holes that are mouthing off on these microphones.
I guess that means I should have a "Rated M" sign on my mailbox. j/k

I agree. I would never let my 8 yr old daughter have access to LIVE. I thought that it would be harmless to let her play Checkers online, but I had to pull the plug on that one because of the same thing!!
Old 11-08-04, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the advice. I guess we will have to wait a couple more days to let everyone play it before we will know if it is age appropriate.
I am an old school gamer from the late 70's through the 80's and obviously you always strive for more realism, well, with the new systems we now have it.
The fighting is not bad in the first Halo (I guess blue alien blood is not as bad as real blood graphically) and the language is pretty mellow. I just don't want a bunch of swearing from the troops. I will not let him play it on live for the obvious reasons stated above.
Please let me know once you guys have the opportunity to play a few levels.
Thanks again
Old 11-09-04, 02:46 AM

You know man, you could just let your son play on Live but without the headset.

But props to you for being concerned.
Old 11-09-04, 03:04 AM

If you didnt have a problem with Halo 1, you shouldnt have a problem with Halo 2. I mean Halo 1 was rated M as well.

They are basically from the same mold. Just like others have said, be aware of live. Halo is nowhere near as bad as GTA, so in a way it's almost unfair for it to have the same exact rating.

Grand Theft Auto: SA is just pure trash a small child should never be exposed to. Hell, it serve no purpose for anyone really. For some reason they get very good reviews and have good gameplay. It was a fun game. Why it is cant be explained even by me who did play it. I am a hypocrite and it took me many hours to beat. lol.

But, seriously, I understand why you would be a little worried.
Old 11-09-04, 03:20 AM

Language could very well only be listed because of Live. Thats something to think about.

But, if you would feel more comfortable, wait a week or so. Hopefully your kid doesnt start pestering and downright beg for the title in the meantime if he was really into the first game.

I can understand his point really. And he could very well bring it up. Well dad, you let me play the first game, why cant I play the second that I have wanted so badly? It really would make no sense to a kid.

I do think though you should be fine after the first game. But, you can wait and see. Hopefully it is fine so your kid can play. I hate to see kids feel neglected on an item everyone else seems to be playing and enjoying. I know the feeling. lol.

Back in my days, it was Mario Brother 3 which I rented so many times until I bought it Christmas money. But, I can understand we are no longer of the era where Mario Bros 3 is the biggest game you have to worry about.

I can never imagine Mario and Princess Toadstool (AKA Peach) in San Andreas, but who knows what time brings? I think an M rated Mario is possible years from now as some sort of joke to the series. I mean it was created out of M rated ideas. Mushrooms for power, etc. It's history and where the idea came from was an interesting read. Marios Land in Super Mario Bros was basically a stoners delusion. But, what can you do?
Old 11-09-04, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Spoiler for the next one (highlight text with your mouse to view):
Spoiler:
Halo 1 featured The Flood, a race of parasitic zombies, and they're back for Halo 2. They could be quite startling and creepy for kids. They graft themselves onto types of monsters you've already seen and grow new, random limbs and such. I imagine that an undead human with some floodlings attached would give some young kids bad nightmares.

Strong agreement with the above statement.

However, if you were going to get your kid Grand Theft Auto or Halo, I would go with Halo. At least you can't pick up hookers in Halo.

/Benjamin
Old 11-09-04, 05:32 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

it is not rated M because of language online, there are many games like Outrun 2 that are rated E for everyone, but it says experience may change with online play
Old 11-10-04, 10:33 AM

well, i for some reason am so use to movie violence and mroe realistic violence in vietnam type war games that the violence in halo 2 is so sci fi it shouldnt matter to the average person really. i work in a public school in the inner city and have very few students running in wanting to be like 'master chief'. whereas gangstas and gta types characters are mimiced often. There is however some bad language from the marines in the game, and i think they even say shit during a cut scene or two, but the game doesnt disrespect women, isnt really gratuitous, and really doesnt emphasize the swearing and dialogue as key to the game, hence nothing real impressionable, just a cool laser and sound show to be hold.

P.S. to those who have had to remove their young children off of the internet for playing checkers and hearts, sorry for the bad language, i get into the most minut of games
Old 11-25-04, 10:26 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
to Gallant Pig for pointing out my laziness.

Actually, it's a However, I did search aroung a little bit before posting, but I do appreciate you pointing me in the right direction, it is helpful.

And thanks to Tamrok for the response. It was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 11-25-04, 10:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Pharoh
to Gallant Pig for pointing out my laziness.

Actually, it's a However, I did search aroung a little bit before posting, but I do appreciate you pointing me in the right direction, it is helpful.

And thanks to Tamrok for the response. It was exactly what I was looking for.
I know, I vaguely remembered this thread in the millions about Halo 2, it was buried, but I found it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.