Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Are Gameboy Games Regional?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are Gameboy Games Regional?

I know absolutely nothing about video games. With that said, I have a quick question for all of you gamers. My brother is heading over to England this Friday and he wanted to buy some Gameboy games for his nephew. Are Gameboy games regional like DVDs? Will Gameboy games bought in the US work on a system bought in England? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-01-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All Gameboy games play in all Gameboy systems. No region coding.
Old 11-01-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
I may be wrong, but has there even been region coding for any cartridge based system? The worst I can think of is that they made the shape of the cartridge a little different so you'd have to either modify your system or get some kind of adapter... otherwise, you could play any region you want...
Old 11-01-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NES games were region coded. While the Famicom carts were a different size, European games were not, and will not play on our NES. BUT the top-loading NES does not have a region chip, so you can play European NES games on it (and there are some really good exclusives!!). Famicom->NES converters usually were region coded for whatever region they were released in or hacked to bypass region coding (like unlicensed games). Some of the later Genesis/Mega Drive games had regional coding. The Turbo Grafx/PC-Engine cards were not region coded but the pin-outs on the cards are in reverse order, making region-free switches for the system a pain.
Old 11-01-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PixyJunket
NES games were region coded. While the Famicom carts were a different size, European games were not, and will not play on our NES. BUT the top-loading NES does not have a region chip, so you can play European NES games on it (and there are some really good exclusives!!). Famicom->NES converters usually were region coded for whatever region they were released in or hacked to bypass region coding (like unlicensed games). Some of the later Genesis/Mega Drive games had regional coding. The Turbo Grafx/PC-Engine cards were not region coded but the pin-outs on the cards are in reverse order, making region-free switches for the system a pain.
Holy hell that was a lot of information in a small amount of space. It was like video game tech concentrate.... someone just needs to add water to this thread now.
Old 11-01-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Ah, thanks for all the info! I just remember having to saw off the edges of the cartridge slot to allow my Genesis to play Megadrive games, and that the Super Nintendo adapter just added grooves to the bottom of a straight connector...
Old 11-01-04, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to get Genesis/Megadrive games all the time in Japan. I did it the easy way- I just removed to chip from the cart and plugged the chip directly into the slot.
Old 11-01-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the prompt response Pixy.
Old 11-01-04, 08:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
SNES could play Famicon carts if you broke off to little plastic things inside the SNES.... Thats how I play my dozen Super Famicom games I for to $2