Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Sony PSP or Nintendo DS, which are you getting?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Nintendo DS or Sony PSP
Nintendo DS
54.29%
Sony PSP
28.57%
Neither
27.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-04, 11:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which are you going to get? I will probably get a DS and play for 3/4 months. Then I will sell it and use the money to pay towards a PSP.
Old 11-01-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably both at some point. DS first of course.
Old 11-01-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Whichever one(s) have games I want to play. Hopefully both.
Old 11-01-04, 01:39 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
DS first, then PSP.
Old 11-01-04, 08:13 AM

Could add another choice for both?

- Scott
Old 11-01-04, 08:49 AM

Definitely the DS. May pick up a PSP down the road, however.
Old 11-01-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by shine5555
Could add another choice for both?
You can select both in the poll.

I doubt I'll buy either at launch, but if I did it'd be DS without a doubt.
Old 11-01-04, 10:07 AM

I'm getting a DS since you know Nintendo does handhelds the right way.

The PSP is a little too expensive to me, the battery life won't be as good and I have no interest at all in buying movies for it.
Old 11-01-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With the GBA library of games....I will most likely use BB gift cards in December and purchase the DS. Looking forward to playing the classic nes games and also interested in the new Mario game coming out for the DS.
Old 11-01-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'd like to see the DS prove itself.

also, i'd like to wait until the new and improved DS comes out in a year. i can't stand the current design - so hideous.

the PSP, love the design except i wish it had some sort of screen protector. but, as w/ the DS, i'd like to see it prove itself.
Old 11-01-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Probably neither, I don't generally play handhelds and have to many console games as it is. But I may eventually pick one up depending on the games each gets, leaning towards the DS.
Old 11-01-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
DS on launch day, maybe a PSP if there's some killer app down the road.
Old 11-01-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Probably neither,but if i do end up picking one up it would be the PSP.
Old 11-01-04, 09:19 PM
Retired

Neither. I really don't have much use for portable gaming as I don't travel much, and I'm not into games enough to need to play outside the house otherwise.

I bought a GBA, but only because that was the only place to get new 2D games, and I've hardly touched it since getting the GB Player for the Gamecube.

Both these systems are overly pricey for me as well, I'd never top the $100 barrier for a portable, even if I traveled a lot.

That said, if I did end up buying one after price drops etc., it would be the DS as I'm sure Nintendo will have some killer first party titles for it.

The PSP just looks to get PS2 ports and sequels, which don't interest me much, compounded by the likely short battery life and need for a memory card, which kills my interest in it.
Old 11-01-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm getting the DS on release day, I'll see in the future about the PSP, but as of now I'm waiting. If the PSP ends up with some good games down the line and/or improved battery life I'll go for it. I'll likely end up with 3 so my two boys can have one for Christmas.

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Neither. I really don't have much use for portable gaming as I don't travel much, and I'm not into games enough to need to play outside the house otherwise.
I don't travel too much, but it's nice to have that gameboy lying around to play whenever I have 5 minutes. I play outside while I watch the kids swim and such (at least I did over the summer). If you've ever seen the book episode of Seinfeld then you probably wouldn't want to play my gameboy though....
Old 11-01-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

PSP all the way!
Old 11-01-04, 10:42 PM

I'll get a DS at launch, with Mario 64 DS and Mr Driller. It looks like Mario 64 will be changed enough to warrant playing it again. Mr Driller DS looks very good as well. Add the Metroid: Hunters demo, and I'll be busy until Metroid: Hunters and Advance Wars DS are released early next year.

I expect to get a PSP eventually, but not until there are a couple price drops. I'll never buy movies for it, and the launch price of the console / memory card is far too much just to play some ported PS2 titles and Metal Gear : Card Battle.
Old 11-01-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts
Nothing right now, but if I had to get one, it would be the PSP. The DS seems merely evolutionary, the next GBA; while the PSP has at least the potential to be revolutionary. Maybe the dual-screen and stylus of the DS works great, but it feels a little gimicky to me. I would think that the PSP has the better potential to be a great gaming system, but I'd give it at least a year before any games look that impressive on it.
Old 11-02-04, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by Homer Simpson
I don't travel too much, but it's nice to have that gameboy lying around to play whenever I have 5 minutes. I play outside while I watch the kids swim and such (at least I did over the summer). If you've ever seen the book episode of Seinfeld then you probably wouldn't want to play my gameboy though....
I find a portable gaming system is an invaluable marriage tool. When my wife wants to watch something on TV and I have the urge to play a game, I can just play with my GBA and still be in the same room with her. It's nice.
Old 11-02-04, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Decker
Nothing right now, but if I had to get one, it would be the PSP. The DS seems merely evolutionary, the next GBA; while the PSP has at least the potential to be revolutionary. Maybe the dual-screen and stylus of the DS works great, but it feels a little gimicky to me. I would think that the PSP has the better potential to be a great gaming system, but I'd give it at least a year before any games look that impressive on it.
I still don't understand how people can call the PSP "revolutionary" when it's simply an underpowered, handheld PS2. Even the button layout is identical. That's fine if you're just looking to play GTA on the road. But don't try and convince me it's the next big step in gaming. What new element does it bring to the table? How does it encourage innovative game development? What leads you to believe it will host anything other than PS2 ports and spinoffs? The DS already has a lineup of games that look far better and more original than anything announced for the PSP. When's the revolution coming?
Old 11-04-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This may seem like a silly reason, but I think I'm going with the PSP just because it has analog control (that thing that looks like a speaker). The majority of the games on these systems are going to be 3D, and without analog control it just won't feel right.

I've never been a fan of Sony's broken-up D-pad, but since most of these games are going to be 3D, it probably won't bother me since I won't have to use it much. Actually, I kind of prefer it to a traditional D-pad for menu selections, but when it comes to moving a character around, I don't like it at all.

The DS is supposedly going to use the stylus for analog movement, but that doesn't sound too appealing to me. It looks like the screens are going to be too small for using the stylus to be comfortable. Also, it seems like the DS could be tricky to use in some situations (like say, standing in line), if you have to use the stylus and press buttons at the same time. You would want to have it resting on a flat surface.

Also, I really wish Nintendo would have made one of the screens vertically aligned (like the NGage's display) so you could play vertical shooters and stuff like Pac-Man full screen on it. Most of what I've seen of the DS indicates that the extra screen will be used for showing your status, inventory, position on a map, etc.; and a vertical screen probably would have served that purpose just as well.
Old 11-04-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
To me it is all about the games. Nintendo's first party games are the best of the best so that is the number one reason for me. Even though there will be plenty of 3D games a large chunk seems to be the 2D goodness that I really love. I don't know how I will take to 3D games on such a small screen.
Old 11-04-04, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More than likely both of them.
Old 11-04-04, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by Drexl
This may seem like a silly reason, but I think I'm going with the PSP just because it has analog control (that thing that looks like a speaker). The majority of the games on these systems are going to be 3D, and without analog control it just won't feel right.

I've never been a fan of Sony's broken-up D-pad, but since most of these games are going to be 3D, it probably won't bother me since I won't have to use it much. Actually, I kind of prefer it to a traditional D-pad for menu selections, but when it comes to moving a character around, I don't like it at all.

The DS is supposedly going to use the stylus for analog movement, but that doesn't sound too appealing to me. It looks like the screens are going to be too small for using the stylus to be comfortable. Also, it seems like the DS could be tricky to use in some situations (like say, standing in line), if you have to use the stylus and press buttons at the same time. You would want to have it resting on a flat surface.

Also, I really wish Nintendo would have made one of the screens vertically aligned (like the NGage's display) so you could play vertical shooters and stuff like Pac-Man full screen on it. Most of what I've seen of the DS indicates that the extra screen will be used for showing your status, inventory, position on a map, etc.; and a vertical screen probably would have served that purpose just as well.
Actually Drexl, I don't think your first point is silly at all. In fact, it's one of the first rational arguments I've heard for choosing the PSP. A good analog control is a blessing and I'm wary of how the DS will handle 3D games (we'll find out quickly with Mario 64 DS). So I can see where you would prefer the PSP in that respect.

As far as the vertical screen, I don't agree. You won't see Sony or Nintendo or anyone else emulating the NGage because the NGage tanked as a gaming system. Yes, the vertical screen is nice for vertical shooters and emulating 80s arcade games, but that's about it. Why would they commit to an aspect ratio like that to accomodate such a tiny percentage of software?
Old 11-04-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Nintendo should have gone with an analog controller. The one on the Tapwave Zodiac is really nice and I'm sure the PSP will have a cool one as well. That is one area I think Nintendo will regret cutting costs in. If the system is going to be about 3D games it should have analog control. I for one am not going to use the touch screen as a controller. However, I'm not planning on buying a lot of 3D games for it either so it probably won't bug me too much. We will just have to see how well the digital pad works with Mario 64.

As far as the screen alignment that is the only way it could have been done. I'm sure Nintendo did not want the handheld any bigger than it already is.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.