Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Halo 2 breaks records with 1.5 million preorders

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Halo 2 breaks records with 1.5 million preorders

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5016

Rob Fahey 13:15 19/10/2004

Anticipation for Bungie's latest promises one of the biggest entertainment launches ever

Microsoft has announced that pre-orders for Xbox-exclusive title Halo 2 have passed 1.5 million in the United States alone, breaking videogame records and guaranteeing first-day revenues higher than any movie in history.

Over 6,500 stores in the USA are planning to open at 12.01 AM on the morning of Tuesday, November 9th, to sell copies of the game, with the first retail copy set to be distributed at midnight in the Toys 'R' Us store in New York's Times Square.

Additionally, 1,125 further retailers worldwide are planning celebration events for the launch of the game - which will take place between November 9th and November 11th in every Xbox territory, covering 27 countries with seven different language versions.

Anticipation for the sequel to the biggest-selling Xbox game ever doesn't appear to have been dulled by the release of a pirate version onto the Internet last week - a move which has mainly been greeted with outrage by fans of the game.

"Halo 2 is expected to be the biggest 24 hours for a video game title in retail history," boasted Microsoft's VP of worldwide publishing and marketing for Xbox, Peter Moore, in a statement this week, "and is projected to bring in more revenue than any day one box office blockbuster movie in the United States."

The original Halo, which was also Xbox-exclusive originally but was later released on PC and Mac platforms, has now sold over five million units worldwide and is still a regular entry in the monthly top ten sales charts in North America.

Chris
Old 10-19-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, pretty big numbers... what is this halo game everyone keeps talking about?
Old 10-19-04, 10:25 AM
Banned

Damn that is allot of money. HA and to think Bungie said they are not doing Halo 3 next. I think M$ may have something to say about that one.

Hell I seem to remember them saying this is the last Halo a while back. I don't think M$ is going to care WTF they want to do next.
Old 10-19-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is that 1.5 million the number of Xbox owners worldwide?

Bad joke, I know
Old 10-19-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Damn that is allot of money. HA and to think Bungie said they are not doing Halo 3 next. I think M$ may have something to say about that one.

Hell I seem to remember them saying this is the last Halo a while back. I don't think M$ is going to care WTF they want to do next.
Old 10-19-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And once again PA fails to bring along teh funny.
Old 10-19-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Fanboy
And once again PA fails to bring along teh funny.
Oh, and you're much better with your clever, trendy MTV misspelling of "the"..?
But you are right, the strip isn't funny, I was simply illustrating a point.
Old 10-19-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
should I finally pre-order my copy?
Old 10-19-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Every store will be flooded with copies, no pre-order needed.
Old 10-19-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

well, since ya can't reserve the 1st shipment of the special edition anymore at our store...I'd go throw $5 down before it's too late on the regular edition.
Old 10-19-04, 11:50 AM

I wonder who is more of a geek, the nerd depicted in the comic, or the people that actually find PA to be funny.
Old 10-19-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was against preordering this for some time. With my wife working at Wal-Mart I like saving a couple bucks with the discount.

Then I came to my senses and paid off my preorder in full. I really don't know why I was being so dumb since I preorder most everything.
Old 10-19-04, 12:29 PM
Banned

I've paid $5 for my LE copy at Best buy. They better let me use the gamer gift card too. Damn well better not say well being as you pre ordered you can't do that.
Old 10-19-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm one XBox owner who will pass, at least for now. I never really got into the first one, and I already have too many games to play on my other systems.

Last edited by Ginwen; 10-19-04 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 01:56 PM

I did my part.
Old 10-19-04, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Oh, and you're much better with your clever, trendy MTV misspelling of "the"..?
But you are right, the strip isn't funny, I was simply illustrating a point.
You admit the strip isn't funny, then rip on the poster because he stated the strip wasn't funny? Your are teh sukekekek.
Old 10-19-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ginwen
I'm one XBox owner who will pass, at least for now. I never really got into the first one, and I already have too many games to play on my other systems.
Same here. And I'm not hating on Halo at all, it seems to be a great game - just not my cup o' tea. Probably cuz I suck at those type of games, to be honest about it. I have played the leaked version of Halo2 (Dear Microsoft: it was at someone else's house, not mine. I didn't even enjoy it! And I felt dirty afterwards, so I ran out and bought 35 copies of Windows XP to make up for my guilt!), and it was truly sweet looking, but again - just not my deal. I am a bit envious of those looking forward to it, I love that feeling of excitement as the release day approaches for a game I want.
Old 10-19-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by discostu1337
well, since ya can't reserve the 1st shipment of the special edition anymore at our store...I'd go throw $5 down before it's too late on the regular edition.
Really? I was going to pre-order this week. I'm sure there will be copies available on 11/9 but if I'm at the mall anyway, I might as well pre-order. Tomorrow or 11/9. Both are the same billing period on my Amex.

My plan was to go with the special edition, but maybe I'm too late.
Old 10-19-04, 03:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
No thanks. I have no interest in religious games.
Old 10-19-04, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
No thanks. I have no interest in religious games.

Chris
Old 10-19-04, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
HA and to think Bungie said they are not doing Halo 3 next. I think M$ may have something to say about that one.

Spoiler:
There's definately going to be a part 3, not just from a money standpoint but because of....

Wait, you'll see after November 9th. I love bees.
Old 10-19-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hope nobody's waiting for it to show up on the retail site...

Many of our program participants have asked if and when Halo 2 will be added to the Xbox Online Training Prize Shop. The answer to this question is "Yes. Halo 2 will be added to the program Prize Shop." With your help, Halo 2 has exceeded all presell expectations and recently surpassed 1.1 million presales alone! That is the largest presell number for any video game ever. Needless to say, excitement is high at retail.

As with any Microsoft product, our first commitment is to insure our valued retail partners and customers have access to inventory. Therefore, we need to insure ample supply is made available to our retail partners in order to meet this incredible consumer demand. That supply needs to be maintained on launch and through the Holiday.

Given this inventory commitment to our retail partners and consumers, the availability of Halo 2 in the Xbox Online Training Program Prize Shop is scheduled for a post Holiday release. This allows us to insure that our retail partners have sufficient inventory to meet customer demand on launch and through Holiday. Our current plan is to add the standard version of Halo 2 in the Prize Shop on Monday, January 3. The Halo 2 Limited Edition will not be offered in the Prize Shop as that inventory is reserved exclusively for our retail partners. If for some reason that date should change we will provide an update on the site.

We highly value your contributions to our success as well as your participation in the training program. Our commitment is to provide Halo 2 as a Prize Shop reward. We clearly understand many of you are excited to get hands on game play with Halo 2. That experience surely helps provide you with a solid understanding of the game for which to speak to customers. As you would expect, the online training site will provide numerous opportunities to enhance your knowledge of the game via modules and other Halo 2 resources.

Although Halo 2 won't be immediately available through the Prize Shop, we do have exciting Halo 2 sweepstakes opportunities planned for November. We will offer opportunities to win copies of the Halo 2 Limited Edition as well as some other fantastic Halo prize packages. More details on that will be shared through our regular sweepstakes communications.

Again, thanks for your tremendous support and efforts helping make Halo 2 the biggest video game launch ever!

The Xbox Online Training Team
Now, I can see why they would do this, but it also kind of defeats some of the purpose of having the retail site. I think the retail site should actually get games out early or at least on launch day to those participating so that they can hype things even more. Oh well, I normally would pick up something like this from the retail site, but figured this would be the case, and so I pre-ordered with the kick a$$ deals that GameRush had here recently on trade-ins, etc.

Last edited by sniper308; 10-19-04 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 04:39 PM

These Nerf Herders aren't funny! The comic strip and religious game comment....just not funny.

ANYWAY

I'm please to hear that Halo2 has these kind of numbers! Wait until Xmas too! This game is going to be hitting some serious numbers! My ass no Halo3! C'mon pulling in dollars such as this, you don't walk away from....YOU MILK IT!!!

I wonder if we'll ever get a CGI Halo movie?
Old 10-19-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee

I wonder if we'll ever get a CGI Halo movie?
They should do a Red Vs Blue movie for the big screen
Old 10-19-04, 04:57 PM

wonder how many of those orders are from Gamerush.. after the trade in.. plus pre-order frenzy.. where the game is almost free..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.