Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need help buying a PS2

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Need help buying a PS2

Background: A guy at the church I go to was recently diagnosed with stage 4 non hodgekens(sp?) lymphoma, and has been undergoing treatment. He is 35 with 4 kids, one which is a newborn.
My wife and I went to visit him in the hospital and knowing that I am a big gamer him and I started discussing games and I found out he likes alot of RPG style games but he has beaten all of the ones he has. He is a very responsible guy and would never buy one for himself.
I was telling some people in my Sunday School class about it and they thought that a PS2 and a couple of games would be a good birthday present for him on Thursday. We already called the hospital and they said when he goes for his treatments he would be allowed to play it on his hospital t.v.

Basically what I need from you guys is ideas on a good price for a PS2, a contoller extension cord, a rf adapter and 2 games(possibly some memory cards). I think it would have to be new (people that don't know better don't like shelling out money for used stuff). Also I could use some tips on RPGS. I know he would like Final Fantasy X but I don't know any other good games. They can't be to "dark" because the church folk wouldn't like it... Also, I can't really do to much ordering online because his birthday is this thursday.

Any ideas would be appriciated,
Shadow
Old 10-19-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
OK:
As far as RPG's that aren't dark, I'd recommend Kingdom Hearts (a game made by Square mixing FF characters and Disney ones. It's kinda strange but it works and it isn't as kiddie as you'd think) and Dark Cloud 2 (a reallly beautiful RPG made by Sony that has tons of gameplay in it) Both are only $20 each. You'd need one memory card (that would be sufficiant for a long time.
If you can find it, the new PSTwo is much smaller and more portable than the traditional PS2. According to some folks here, they're being seen at WalMart. I'm not aware of any PS2 deals, though
Old 10-19-04, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might check out Sams or Costco. They both have bundle deals with PS2, an extra controller, memory card and a couple of games for $199. I'm not a PS2 fan so I can't say anything about the quality of the games that come with it and have never really priced the system, but it seems to be a good deal.
Old 10-19-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Decker
OK:
As far as RPG's that aren't dark, I'd recommend Kingdom Hearts (a game made by Square mixing FF characters and Disney ones. It's kinda strange but it works and it isn't as kiddie as you'd think) and Dark Cloud 2 (a reallly beautiful RPG made by Sony that has tons of gameplay in it) Both are only $20 each. You'd need one memory card (that would be sufficiant for a long time.
If you can find it, the new PSTwo is much smaller and more portable than the traditional PS2. According to some folks here, they're being seen at WalMart. I'm not aware of any PS2 deals, though
Is the hard drive compatible with the new ps2? I know he likes the old FF game and if you need the HD for the new FF game then the new ps2 might not be the way to go... I just don't have a clue about ps2 stuff.

Edited to say thanks for the help!
Old 10-19-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new FF costs $100 alone (plus $30 for the expansion), and charges $13 a month on top of that.
Old 10-19-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by shadowhawk2020
Is the hard drive compatible with the new ps2? I know he likes the old FF game and if you need the HD for the new FF game then the new ps2 might not be the way to go... I just don't have a clue about ps2 stuff.

If he likes RPGs, especially FF-style (as in non-action) RPGs, PS2 is the way to go, since the other systems hardly have any. They do have some action RPGs (like the Zelda games, Fable, etc.) If you ask me, Kingdom Hearts and Dark Cloud are also action type games, rather than regular RPGs. I still liked them, but I much prefer the turn-based ones.

The newest FF, the one that requires the hard drive, is an online game, and not really the same sort of thing, but there are two other Final Fantasy games exclusive to the PS2 (FFX and FFX2). There are various other turn-based RPGs for PS2 as well. Basically, because PS2 has so many games, it has more of everything.

Oh, another system that has a fair amount of more traditional RPGs is Gameboy.

Last edited by Ginwen; 10-19-04 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by shadowhawk2020

The harddrive is not compatible with the new PS2, although there is supposedly an adapter available for the Japanese version, unknown if it'll work with the US system.

You'll need the harddrive for FFXI but not for FFX or FFX-2.
Old 10-19-04, 09:34 PM

Instead of an extension cord for the controller, a wireless controller would be better. Logitech makes one. It's $30 at Amazon.com
Old 10-19-04, 10:15 PM

Kingdom hearts would be a great choice for a good RPG on the ps2.

If he likes the Strategy RPGs (final fantasy tactics) maybe something like Disgaea or the others from Atlus.
Old 10-19-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jaycee
Instead of an extension cord for the controller, a wireless controller would be better. Logitech makes one. It's $30 at Amazon.com
I thought about that but I thought maybe the signal will mess with some of the machines in the hospital. Thank all of you for your suggestions!