Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBox failure HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-04, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBox failure HELP!

Hello,

I have had my XBox since the first day it was released. I just picked up PGR2 and was playing it tonight until the game hung. I pressed the power button to turn it off. Then I tried to turn it on again but the normal green light now flashes red and green and it won't start up. To add to my misery, the PGR2 disc is still stuck inside.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem or is my XBox hosed?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-04, 10:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Turned out to be a hard drive failure, and I lost all my saves.
Old 10-14-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My very first Xbox did this as well and it was a hard drive failure. They fixed it since it was under warranty, but it had a new hard drive when I got it back and my saves were gone.

I would try unplugging it for awhile and trying it again later. You may at least be able to get the disc out.
Old 10-15-04, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the info. Looks like my XBox is heading for the trash heap.

Anyone know of any good XBox bundle deals coming up for the holidays?
Old 10-17-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read on IGN that at the end of the month, Microsoft will offer a Holiday deal. With the system you'll get NCAA Football 2005, Top Spin and 3 months of Live for $150. Very good deal if you like these games.
Old 10-17-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why trash it if it's the hard drive? Have a modder put in a new one-
Old 10-18-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by mmconhea
Why trash it if it's the hard drive? Have a modder put in a new one-
Ditto.

err...I mean...just trash it in my trash bin
Old 10-18-04, 09:15 AM
Banned

Don't trash it sell it to eb or gamestop. They will still buy it.
Old 10-18-04, 10:31 AM

There is a small manual eject opening underneath and maybe to the right of the tray. Use a paperclip to eject your game.
Old 10-18-04, 03:18 PM

I tried the manual eject button thing but it didn't work. So, in the process of trying to get my game disc out, I kinda broke the drive. Will EB take a broken XBox?

I'm waiting for next week to replace it with the bundle deal. I already own Top Spin and have no interest in NCAA 2005 but since they come free anyway, I will buy the bundle and then trade them in for other games.
Old 10-21-04, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by roachie17
I tried the manual eject button thing but it didn't work. So, in the process of trying to get my game disc out, I kinda broke the drive. Will EB take a broken XBox?

I'm waiting for next week to replace it with the bundle deal. I already own Top Spin and have no interest in NCAA 2005 but since they come free anyway, I will buy the bundle and then trade them in for other games.
I thought I'd let people know, I just picked up the Xbox Bundle with Top Spin and NCAA 2005. Well I open it up and discover it's one of the older xboxes, with the old huge controller and a phillips drive. They just slapped a sticker on the box and put the game inside and resealed it. Just be on the lookout, the outer box is all black, while the newer xboxes have a green picture on the front of the outer box. Maybe this is their way of getting rid of older xboxes with non S controllers. The game is also a compilation like the JSRF/Sega GT disc. So not sure how much you would get for it.
Old 10-22-04, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

I was at EB yesterday and I traded in my busted XBox for $50 towards the purchase of the bundle. Actually, the bundle only come out next week and yes, the 2 games will be a compilation, not on individual discs. So, I will have to sell off my current Top Spin before the price goes down.

As for the older boxes used for the bundle, I'll have to watch out for it when I pick up my bundle next week. Hopefully this is not the case everywhere. The big controller is horrible.
Old 10-22-04, 10:20 AM

Roachie17....

"You will find a hole on all Xbox consoles at Arrow 1. If you stick your paperclip in that hole and it hits metal go on to point 2 (Phillips DVD drives)

Both Thomson and Samsung DVD drives open via the hole at arrow 1.
For Thomson drives you will find you need to insert the paperclip all the way until it stops, remove and repeat the process several times, you are manually spinning a gear so it takes at least six or so pushes.
For Samsung drives inserting it a single time opens the door but you have to push pretty hard as it is a lever action open.

Arrow 2, right at the very tip of the arrow you will see a hole, like the Thomson drive you are spinning a gear manually and will need to insert many times."

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/e...e_manually.htm