Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halo 2 w/ Mouse and Keyboard??!!

Team XBox article
Video Product
Bungie Thread

Just read somewhere the there is an adapter coming out to use Keyboard and Mouse with the Xbox. Some say it won't make a difference, some go so far as to say it will ruin the game.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-06-04, 09:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I like the idea, but it's not really practical to set up a mouse and keyboard in front of my sofa.
Old 10-06-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, but how do you feel if you were playing with a controller, and someone could dominate w/ a mouse and keyboard?

I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I'm curious to when it comes out if it lives up to the expectations. Some say console games aren't built for mouse and keyboard, so maybe it won't be an advantage. Everything is speculation until is comes out
Old 10-06-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
It's made by LikSang and has the very Japanese name of the SmartJoy FRAG. It will use the PS2 keyboard to control on either system (with seperate SmartJoys, though).
Old 10-06-04, 09:41 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Xanager
Yeah, but how do you feel if you were playing with a controller, and someone could dominate w/ a mouse and keyboard?
Well, maybe it will shut up the pad people that say they can play as well as anybody that's using a mouse/keyboard
Old 10-06-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I like the idea, but it's not really practical to set up a mouse and keyboard in front of my sofa.
I have a wireless one, so it is quite practical. However, I think I prefer the way it is now.
Old 10-06-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Dave what are you using to support your mouse/keyboard? I will think about getting one if it is good with the XBox, but without the games being designed for mouse/keyboard it may not be an advantage.
Old 10-06-04, 11:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah, the issue isn't the wires, but sitting back on the couch and still being able to use the mouse. Can't just run it on my leg.
Old 10-06-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds good to me. Works better, plays better.
Old 10-06-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

use something like this if you want

as i totally suck at halo, i welcome this adapter if it works well. i'd welcome a smaller gaming controller even more... one of those fps controllers.
Old 10-06-04, 12:32 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not something I'd get as I got through single player Halo fine with the controller and have never been able to get the hang of keyboard/mouse controls (love the mouse aiming, hate the keyboard part) in PC gaming.

I have no interest in multiplayer/online gaming, so it's not an issue for me in that aspect either.
Old 10-06-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Bring it on!
Old 10-06-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Bring it on!
Ha! Hopefully we can get some major DVDTalk Halo2 action going on when it comes out.

I'd be interested in seeing how it would be using a mouse. I've always thought it would be far superior, but Halo implements the controller the best the I've ever seen. I've never had any problems managing with it It will be interesting nonetheless.
Old 10-06-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll never understand how people can play FPS games with a joystick, or even a set of joysticks. A mouse is the most intuitive look-around device known to man - it's even better than a head-mount setup, since you aren't limited by the range of motion of your neck.

Similarly, a key-based device seems the best interface for controlling movement. A joystick allows a greater range of speeds, but honestly, I've never seen the point of that. No one ever walks around in FPS games. That's why all modern games have an "auto-run" option, and why it's usually checked by default. So you don't want precision as much as immediacy: the shortest possible delay between deciding to move forward and moving forward at top speed. A joystick with a range of motion features a longer delay than a simple button, and for no real purpose.

I did try playing GoldenEye and some other console FPS games with PlayStation/Dreamcast/etc. controllers. They seemed terrifically clumsy, even after many hours of play.

- David Stein
Old 10-06-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm a clumsy fool with a controller, but can hold my own with a KB/M. This might actually convince me to buy an XBox.
Old 10-06-04, 01:52 PM
Banned

you could also use a VGA adapter, thats what I might do
Old 10-06-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A VGA adapter? How would that make a difference?
Old 10-06-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Halo was the smoothest controlling FPS on any console ever... that's a big part of why it was so hugely popular and why it pulled FPS fans away from their PCs. That video is kinda funny cuz it shows a video of Halo and then some hands working a mouse and keyboard. Could be the PC version of halo for all I know.

But anyway - there are other games that I'd like to use a mouse/kb with, so if someone could find me that Phantom console keyboard/mouse, I'll buy it. The big problem with this KB/Mouse thing is that we don't know how the keys are going to be mapped. Are they going to use space bar for jump and ctrl for crouch? WSAD? Arrow keys? Will E be Use or will they make it 'lean' in games that support that? I may just have to pick one up later though if it looks like everyone else is getting one and using them in multiplayer.
Old 10-06-04, 03:34 PM

A VGA adapter? How would that make a difference?
I would have to guess that it will allow you to hook up your XBOX on your computer desk. Thus, it would be more comfortable to use the Mouse/Keyboard while playing.
Old 10-06-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I gotcha, I was thinking he was going run the keyboard and mouse through the vga adapter. My stupidity...

Their site says you can customize the keys. How, I don't know.
Old 10-06-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Mouse and keyboard...the true way to play a FPS.
Old 10-06-04, 09:30 PM

Agreed. Mouse and keyboard beat all. If this is true, it'll definitely ruin online competition for anyone unable to afford the adapter or unable to manage a keyboard/mouse on the sofa. They should put it in as a room search string- Keyboard use on/off option.
Old 10-07-04, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
Halo was the smoothest controlling FPS on any console ever... that's a big part of why it was so hugely popular and why it pulled FPS fans away from their PCs.
it was popular, i agree, but pulling away fps fans away from their pc? i don't think so. halo might have been a big deal to console gamers, but pc gamers didn't really care for it much.
Old 10-07-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by tek2k
it was popular, i agree, but pulling away fps fans away from their pc? i don't think so. halo might have been a big deal to console gamers, but pc gamers didn't really care for it much.
I agree. Halo certainly didn't pull me away from my PC as i could never get used to the controls. While i eventually played and beat it on PC, i didn't think it was particularly special. For console games and gamers it was a breakthrough, for PC gamers it was just another solid FPS.
Old 10-07-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tek2k
halo might have been a big deal to console gamers, but pc gamers didn't really care for it much.
I've played Wolfenstein/SOD, Doom 1/2/3, Quake 1/2/3, Heretic 1/2, Hexen 1/2, Thief 1/2, Tribes 1/2, Outlaws, Unreal, Unreal Tournament/2003/2004, Half-Life, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Citizen Kabuto, and probably a hundred other FPS games. Seriously, FPSes basically consumed my undergrad years.

Halo is still one of the best I've ever played. Yes, I played it on the PC, with kbd/mouse. It really is an incredible game.

- David Stein

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.