Search this Thread

Old 10-02-04, 01:25 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Half Life 2 first review from PCGamer

Added a mirror: http://www.synthdude.com/HL2review/

http://www.clandv.com/Files/HL2/

Looks yummy.

Last edited by Flay; 10-03-04 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-02-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the link. Checking it out now. I was never too caught up in the hype for this game, especially with the year long delay, the graphics/physics never impressed me as much as Doom 3, and i felt the first one was overrated, but this looks solid
Old 10-02-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
This has to be the only PC game that I've been looking forward to. I loved the first Half-Life, it really scared me and took me into a video game world. I thought everything about it was awesome. Now this one looks to completely surpass it not only a little but by huge leaps. The video I've seen of it looks so great. I think this is THE game to beat, and will be for a long long time.
Old 10-02-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not surprised that it got such high marks and a gushing review, but it's exciting that there is a review because that means the release day isn't far off at all. Any day now.
Old 10-02-04, 05:37 PM
Banned

Ill wait until i see some other reviews, this is an exclusive review, so it could be biased ALOT.
Old 10-02-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

it looks awesome, I can't wait.

That being said, PC Gamer also LOVED Doom3, and we all know how certain people felt about that.

so, don't get TOO excited and ruin this release for yourself also. It's not hte second coming of Christ.

birrman54
Old 10-02-04, 06:04 PM
Banned

This is pcgamer uk that was pcgamer north america.
Old 10-02-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Birrman54
It's not hte second coming of Christ.

You're right... it's so much more.
Old 10-02-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
You're right... it's so much more.
haha, touche

birrman54
Old 10-02-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by Mr.Blonde510
This is pcgamer uk that was pcgamer north america.
exactly...
also, the video that was released before with the striders just looked so incredible. I really got goosebumps watching it.
I agree the PC Gamer (u.s.) gushed way too much about doom 3, but I'm hoping, and pretty sure, that this isn't just a fanboy type review.
Old 10-02-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Doom 3 pretty much got high reviews everywhere else too though, regardless of how much PC Gamer gushed about it.
Old 10-02-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - most reviews seemed to like Doom 3 and list their likes as being the graphics and the immersion and their dislikes as being the "been there, done that" gameplay with story elements revealed on a PDA and and otherwise lack of a decent story. They all seemed to like it for what it was - an action game. Most of the negative reviews I've read seemed to come from general consumers. I haven't played Doom 3 much yet, but what I played was great. It's got great atmosphere and is scary and fun. You want deep story, you don't buy a Doom game (or an ID game for that matter).

Half-Life on the other hand is all about excellent sci-fi storytelling through first person experience. HL2 appears to deliver on that. The review here mentions that the game took them 20 hours, so I can anticipate it taking me a bit longer since I take these games quite slow. Most reviewers gushed endlessly (and still do to this day) about the first Half-Life and with good reason. It still stands as one of the best FPS games ever made. I've seen alot of HL2 and played some of it and based on just that, I'm fully confident that this review is fully accurate and not just some fanservice smoke blowing. This has been my most anticipated game for the last 5 years or so (since I finished the first game for the first time). *gush gush*
Old 10-02-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Link is dead. Anyone have it cached? I'd like to read the review.

- David Stein
Old 10-03-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Same here... I didn't realize it was getting close enough that reviews were coming out. I'd like to read it if someone can find a new link.

Perhaps I ought to look at upgrading my video card and getting more ram. And a bigger HD. I'll have to live with a 1700+ Athlon though.
Old 10-03-04, 08:58 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I added a mirror. Don't know why the first link went down.
Old 10-03-04, 10:53 AM

Just an FYI.

One of the things I am looking forward to is the first game re-done in the HL 2 source engine. Apparently it is only with the collectors edition but I think it is an awesome idea. The first game is a landmark title that will be very cool to replay with the new graphics engine.

P.S. Doom 3 is a great product.
Old 10-03-04, 11:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Ginsu
One of the things I am looking forward to is the first game re-done in the HL 2 source engine. Apparently it is only with the collectors edition
Really? Hmm. Usually "collectors editions" don't have extra games, just crap I don't want. I might have to consider that now, if it's the only way to get it.
Old 10-03-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any official system requirements for this yet?
Old 10-03-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Retail Boxes

• Standard Edition — includes HL2 and CS:Source. Ships on six CDs, in one of three box-art packages (Gordon, Alyx or the G-Man).
• Collector's Edition — includes Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source, a Half-Life 2 T-shirt and a Prima book sampler. Ships on a single DVD.

Steam Packages

• Bronze — HL2* and CS:Source.
• Silver — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam.
• Gold — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam, Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games, 3 different Half-Life 2 posters, Half-Life 2 hat, Half-Life 2 postcard, Half-Life 2 stickers, Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD, Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

*To be made available upon product's release.
Old 10-03-04, 12:03 PM

Have price points been announced for the Steam packages yet?

Also, can you upgrade? For example, if the Bronze is $50 and the silver is $60, if I buy the Bronze can I later upgrade to silver for $10?
Old 10-03-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't heard anything on pricing yet... the only other thing to come out is that people who recieved the free HL2 vouchers from buying particular ATI video cards would get the Bronze package, with the opportunity to upgrade for a yet unannounced fee.
Old 10-03-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
Retail Boxes

• Standard Edition — includes HL2 and CS:Source. Ships on six CDs, in one of three box-art packages (Gordon, Alyx or the G-Man).
• Collector's Edition — includes Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source, a Half-Life 2 T-shirt and a Prima book sampler. Ships on a single DVD.

Steam Packages

• Bronze — HL2* and CS:Source.
• Silver — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam.
• Gold — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam, Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games, 3 different Half-Life 2 posters, Half-Life 2 hat, Half-Life 2 postcard, Half-Life 2 stickers, Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD, Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

*To be made available upon product's release.
Hmmm, I am hoping to get a new comp. in the next couple months and Half Life 2 would be a good way to test it out and see the difference compared to my current P3 550 with a geforce 2. Might have to get the collector's edition as I never played the original Half Life, thats a pretty good pack-in IMO.
Old 10-03-04, 02:46 PM

If you notice the stars on the Steam packages, you'll see that if you purchase through Steam you get CS: Source before the retail release of HL2. In fact, CS: Source is being released this week on Steam (Wednesday, I think), so you might consider purchasing through Steam.

Also, if you do, make sure your pre-loads are up-to-date. (There have been 5 of them.)
Old 10-03-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks good, better than Doom 3. It looks like you go through different environments unlike Doom 3 where you do the same thing on every level.
Old 10-03-04, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by No Use For A Name
If you notice the stars on the Steam packages, you'll see that if you purchase through Steam you get CS: Source before the retail release of HL2. In fact, CS: Source is being released this week on Steam (Wednesday, I think), so you might consider purchasing through Steam.
Does this mean the packages will be available for purchase (or pre-purchase as it were) on Wednesday? I hope so!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.