Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PSP to be $350

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rumored by Nintendo fan sites. Wow, just.. wow.
Old 10-01-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$350 is a lot of money. But hey, I spent $100 for my X-Arcade joystick, $125 for my jabra wireless headset (for xbox live), and $100 for my PS2 Logitech steering wheel. I'll wait until the PSP comes out, see if it has good games & features, then buy it if it seems to meet my wants & needs. Even though it might be expensive, the PSP won't flop if it's a well-designed and well-built device that fills a need.

The real question is whether the PSP will fill a small niche or cater to a wide audience... and if the $350 price tag is true, it'll almost certainly be the former. And there's nothing wrong with that - there's a market for people who want to buy $400 video cards for their computers, after all.
Old 10-01-04, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Rumored by Nintendo fan sites. Wow, just.. wow.
Find me the original source. I can only trace it back as far as Nintendo fansites.
Old 10-01-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

eh,

$350 is too much, but even if it turns out not to be true, $300 is still too much. heck at this point from the information they've put out, $199 is too much.

I'm skeptical until they give some concrete info on battery life. I actually play a lot of portable games since I moved, this is the most critical feature, I can't understand why they haven't given us this information.
Old 10-01-04, 09:02 PM
Banned

Since everyone likes rumors:

PSP stand-alone:
$149.99

PSP package 1:
$ 199.99

Features:

* 1 rechargable battery
* 1 charger(for the battery)
* 16mb memorystick duo

PSP package 2:
$ 299.99

* everything featured in package 1
* 64mb memorystick
* strap with built in headphones
* camera

PSP package 3(media package):
$ 349.99

* everything in package 2
* 256mb memory stick PRO duo
* aluminium alloy case
* gps device
* translation software
Supposively from the November issue of OPM UK. Severly doubt it, but just about as likely as $350.
Old 10-01-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts
Since everyone is confessing thier expenses, I spent $75 of saved up allowance money on a Power Glove. Rock on!

Piece of junk
Old 10-01-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Since everyone is confessing thier expenses, I spent $75 of saved up allowance money on a Power Glove. Rock on!

Piece of junk
I remember wanting one of those. Thank god I couldn't afford it at the time.

Hopefully Sony will make their announcement soon. Its fun to speculate, but real facts especially about battery life would be nice. I agree 8 hours sound reasonable for games that follow Sony's guidlines. Does kind of suck that some of the advantage of the UMD media is lost by it though.
Old 10-01-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
Find me the original source. I can only trace it back as far as Nintendo fansites.
Actually I do believe joshd2012 might be correct in this. I believe gcadvanced might have been the first. But I think many sites have been "hearing" this as well from the....Tokyo show?

As for these comments....wow!
And, for you Nintendo Lapdogs, the reason I mentioned the included accesories is to show a difference between the systems, not to justify a price that was rumored by Nintendo fan sites. Pixy has always been tight on the teet of Nintendo, but its good to see some others jump in the pile.
I think the entire forum was excited about the PSP when it was first announced, everyone has been "jumping in the pile" due to the legitamite concerns over the systems price and its features, especially battery life. And the Pixy comment was just uncalled for.

I'm confused as to how you listing accessories and then approximating a price for them was intended to show the system differences and not justify a price.
Old 10-02-04, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 989 Likes on 691 Posts
Originally posted by mullivan
My guess: They accidentally on purpose leak "news" of a $350 price, and then when it's actually released and they put a $299 price on it it seems like a relative deal. We will see...
I really am suspecting something like this, maybe even a $250 price. They might be judging reaction to see if people will buy it for $350.
Old 10-02-04, 07:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by msdmoney
I'm confused as to how you listing accessories and then approximating a price for them was intended to show the system differences and not justify a price.
I was merely stating that the PSP will come with $30 worth of accesories. I stuck it in this thread, because I thought starting a new PSP thread would just clutter the forum page.

Can anyone tell me what accesories come with the DS?
Old 10-02-04, 09:15 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I was merely stating that the PSP will come with $30 worth of accesories. I stuck it in this thread, because I thought starting a new PSP thread would just clutter the forum page.

Can anyone tell me what accesories come with the DS?
A stylus and $200 cash in your pocket.
Old 10-02-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,077 Posts
Originally posted by BeckysBoy
A stylus and $200 cash in your pocket.
So true.

I'm sure the DS will come with an AC adaptor. Not sure on headphones and a case is unneccesary.

What other accessories do you need?
Old 10-02-04, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin

Piece of junk
I remember a kid in grade school actually cut off the cord to the power glove and just used it as a regular toy!

Might have been broken in the first place though.
Old 10-02-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by msdmoney
I think the entire forum was excited about the PSP when it was first announced, everyone has been "jumping in the pile" due to the legitamite concerns over the systems price and its features, especially battery life. And the Pixy comment was just uncalled for.
Not me. Ever since the proprietary movie format was announced I've been completely un-excited about the device.

I'd rather keep my GBA SP and buy a portable DVD player.
Old 10-02-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Supposively from the November issue of OPM UK. Severly doubt it, but just about as likely as $350.
Definitely bogus. The scan itself screams "fake," and then there's the fact that the UK editon of OPM would probably not be terribly interested in what the PSP will cost in the U.S.
Old 10-02-04, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dan Average
Definitely bogus. The scan itself screams "fake," and then there's the fact that the UK editon of OPM would probably not be terribly interested in what the PSP will cost in the U.S.
Yeah, I just checked back and that asshole admited he faked it. Looks like we're going to have to wait for Sony to make their announcement.
Old 10-02-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
For me the biggest difference between this and an iPod is the fact that once you've made your initial purchase, you are done with the iPod (until the battery craps out, but it would be the same with the psp). But on the psp you will be shelling out $$$ every time you need another game.

May not seem like a big difference to some, but for me it would mean the PSP (at $350 and $50 a game) would probably be a $600 investment within 2 months. And probably another $300 a year or so.

If I thought graphics mattered in handhelds, the psp might do well, but I think Pokemon suggests that graphics give way to game play, and that graphics don't mean a lot in handheld. When I want graphics, I don't play on a 2" screen.
Old 10-04-04, 11:53 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by kvrdave
For me the biggest difference between this and an iPod is the fact that once you've made your initial purchase, you are done with the iPod (until the battery craps out, but it would be the same with the psp). But on the psp you will be shelling out $$$ every time you need another game.
So you assume that everybody that buys an iPod steals all of their music or only listens to their old cd's (which they've already big $$$ paid for).
Old 10-04-04, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by trigun
So you assume that everybody that buys an iPod steals all of their music or only listens to their old cd's (which they've already big $$$ paid for).
I'm assuming he meant that iPods wouldn't be a hit if you had to repurchase all the cd's that you owned to hear them on an iPod which is what the PSP will do with movies.
Old 10-04-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You don't have to buy new CDs to get your old CDs onto an iPod.

I have to buy new versions of DVDs I already own to play them on a PSP.
Old 10-04-04, 01:34 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by kvrdave
All I see is talk about games.
Old 10-04-04, 02:50 PM
Retired

Everbody. Of course not. The majority sure. I know very few people that actually buy mp3's and the ones that do don't buy many.

Most people seem to just buy it to get their whole cd collection on one small device they can carry around with them. Obviously the hardcore napster crowd will be putting 1000's of songs they stole on them, and most average people probably still grab a song illegaly now and again.
Old 10-04-04, 02:57 PM
Banned

Since everyone likes rumors:

So you're going to at least have to spend $199 if what you posted is true. That is still to much.
Old 10-04-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yet A different take:

http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media/1095865628.html

Japanese PSP Price Released

Manfred Gerdes, SCEE German Managing Director, may have made a blunder. He recently confirmed that Sony's Playstation Portable (PSP) will launch in Japan with a price tag of 33,000 yen. According to official exchange rates for September 22, 2004, that equates directly to $298.268 US Dollars. (The price would probably get rounded out to a smooth $299.99). He said this does not confirm what the European or American prices will be.

Sony is trying to clean up this mess. Heather Sorensen, speaking for Sony Computer Entertainment America, told a news outlet, "official pricing for PSP (PlayStation Portable) has not been announced, and any information in this regard is only speculation."

Nintendo's announcement yesterday that the DS handheld will cost only $149.99 has certainly thrown SCEA off-guard, forcing them to either drop their planned price or try their hardest to sell a handheld 4 months late and double the price of the current competition. They're smart though, which is why they have been holding out on the American price point until the Nintendo DS price was confirmed.

When Sony releases a final, American price for the PSP, you'll find it right here at Gaming Horizon.
And to go with that:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09...s_6108839.html

Rumor #3: The PSP will cost 33,000 yen--approximately $300.

Source: UK game site SPOnG.

The official story: "Official pricing for the PSP has not been announced, and any information in this regard is only speculation," a Sony spokesperson said.

What we heard: The SPOnG article attributed the price to a statement by SCEE Germany Managing Director Manfred Gerdes, but did not say where he said it or in what context. Regardless, Sony officials have been aggressively denying the comments attributed to Gerdes, contacting numerous online media outlets to say "we appreciate you not reporting on and perpetuating this incorrect information on your Web site." However, a $300 price point for the PSP is in tune with numerous analyst predictions, which could mean that Sony's PR effort is more damage control than debunking. Then again, maybe not.

Bogus or not bogus?: Officially bogus--until Sony says otherwise.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 10-04-04 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-04-04, 05:39 PM
Banned

A guy from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe will have no idea how much a PSP for Japan is going to be. This is because of the price differences between the US and Europe. IIRC, the PS2 launch in the US for $300 and in the UK for 300 pounds. They paid a lot more for their PS2 than we did here in the States. Same thing will most likely happen with the PSP.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.