Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Why all the Hating for EA (Electronic Arts) ?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-04, 09:31 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not talking about on this forum, i'm talking about on the net in general

Seems to be a lot of hating of EA in videogame forums and websites.

E.g. been reading many Burnout 3 reviews and the number of times i've read something like "best racer ever even if it is published by EA" or "Not even being published by EA can take away from the brilliance of Burnout 3"

on some other forums, i've seen whole threads dedicated to EA bashing

so what has EA done to put a large chunk of the videogaming community offside ??
Old 09-10-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EA buys out development house and then proceed to destroy their autonomy and franchises (which happens all the time in the business world when a big company buys out a small company).

Prime example would be Origin (Ultima series). There are many others.

They did keep Maxis' group alive only because of the Sim City/The Sims cash cow. At least they are smart enough to leave them alone.

And EA's annual sports updates are just that, updates. NHL series have gone to hell since the 16bit days, Madden has improved because competition was extremely stiff. NBA Live is another dunk fest and their baseball game isn't even good until the last couple of years. Yet they sell millions because they spend more $$ in marketing than development.
Old 09-10-04, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by Lastblade
EA buys out development house and then proceed to destroy their autonomy and franchises (which happens all the time in the business world when a big company buys out a small company).

Prime example would be Origin (Ultima series). There are many others.

They did keep Maxis' group alive only because of the Sim City/The Sims cash cow. At least they are smart enough to leave them alone.

And EA's annual sports updates are just that, updates. NHL series have gone to hell since the 16bit days, Madden has improved because competition was extremely stiff. NBA Live is another dunk fest and their baseball game isn't even good until the last couple of years. Yet they sell millions because they spend more $$ in marketing than development.
Also add to the list that they are tops when it comes to sales, and feel they can be lackadaisical when it comes to most of their games. I buy most all of their sports games with the exception of the NHL series, the NBA series, and the College Basketball series, because they are a dunk fest and not near as good as ESPN's hockey and basketball games. They are innovative only when they are pushed by other companies (SEGA VC). Their development for XBOX has failed on several occasions (NCAA 2005 is atrocious, the slowdown is such that I can't even play it, Madden 2004 had the draft class issue, and MVP had slight slowdown as well)
Old 09-10-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're the only company that charges $50 every year for what essentially is an upgrade patch.
Old 09-10-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lol, i don't hate them.

i attribute the "hate" to the general tendency of people to like the underdogs. remember when people "hated" microsoft? or how people hate "sony" and the ps2?

frankly, if people are willing to spend $50/year on an upgrade patch, that's damn good american business!
Old 09-10-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't argue that.
Old 09-10-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
No hate from me. Madden is the best sports game ever made. MVP Baseball is solid this year. Need for Speed kicks ass. AWESOME soundtracks to their games. Screw what other people think
Old 09-10-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can thank scumbag corporate ogres like Electronic Arts (that put out rubbish games and "updates" year after year) for putting decent, fan favorite publishers like Acclaim out of business.
Old 09-10-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
decent, fan favorite publishers like Acclaim out of business.
That's like saying Michael Moore tells the truth.
Old 09-10-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dean Kousoulas
Agh! My little joke inspired an unprovoked jab at Michael Moore!

*runs out of thread*
Old 09-10-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmm, moore = truth, so...

acclaim = highly regarded but got snuffed by blind loyalty to a tyrannical brand?
Old 09-10-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by young
hmm, moore = truth, so...

acclaim = highly regarded but got snuffed by blind loyalty to a tyrannical brand?
Are you referring to the Olsen twins?
Old 09-10-04, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Dean Kousoulas

He does tell the truth....sometimes. Just like the President.

I have more EA games than any other publisher. I do however tend to root for the underdog. In the example of football I think Sega has made a better game the last few years. This year being no exception. And they have the sense to lower their price to $20 to try and get some people to give em a look this year.

I wish EA would follow thier example and only charge $50 for complete overhauls not small updates. Even every other year would even be better.

I realize Sega did not do this out of customer loyalty or as a thank you. These companies have every right to charge as much as they can get us to pay. Therefore it is our responibility to pay as little as we can. Therefore if all other things are equal BUY SEGA. You can buy all 3 of Segas pro sports games this year for the same price as 1 copy of Madden. (BB coupon) Makes me think EA is a ripping people off.

I usually hated Acclaims titles.
Burnout! stunk.

The funny thing is if they had retained the rights to Burnout 3 it could have saved the company. It is that good. and seems to be selling like Hot Cakes.
Old 09-10-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dislike them because EVERY X-Box game of theirs I've played (which are the Bond games and LOTR games) has problems with the disc. I continually get choppy video, and when loading, the disc will spontaneously jsut spin and spin, then tell me theres a problem. Thanksfully, Burnout 3 has yet to do this, so maybe they've fixed it. I don't play sports games, so I'm lucky in that I don't have to deal with them all that much.
Old 09-10-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I played the hell out of SSX Tricky and SSX 3 on Xbox and had no issues with them.. I think that's about it with the EA name to grace my household, except my copy of NHL 94 for Genesis. I did rent a Harry Potter game once to confirm if it sucked.
Old 09-10-04, 04:16 PM

They killed Multiplayer Battletech 3025.

I will give them credit for experimenting with Majestic even if it was a failure.
Old 09-10-04, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by cartman
I dislike them because EVERY X-Box game of theirs I've played (which are the Bond games and LOTR games) has problems with the disc. I continually get choppy video, and when loading, the disc will spontaneously jsut spin and spin, then tell me theres a problem. Thanksfully, Burnout 3 has yet to do this, so maybe they've fixed it. I don't play sports games, so I'm lucky in that I don't have to deal with them all that much.

My new copy of Nascar 2005 gives me the DDE's constantly.
So did Madden 2004. Maybe it is discs they press at a certain factory or that hate my Thompson drive.

Burnout 3 has hung once. Most of my games never hang at all.
Old 09-10-04, 05:53 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i can understand the sport update issue, some of the updated games have very little different

I can also understand the buying out of 'classic' software companies and then ruining them
Old 09-10-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Electronic Art$
Old 09-10-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
They're the only company that charges $50 every year for what essentially is an upgrade patch.

EA makes loads of money.

When you have money, people will hate you. Simple as that.

Only EA game I played was the LOTR TT and Return of the king, which are pretty decent games. I never touch their sports titles.
Old 09-10-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the fact I can play Electronic Art$ games on my Micro$oft Xbox and also watch Di$ney movies.
Old 09-10-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ooh.... Di$ney... don't get me started

Old 09-11-04, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by darkside
I like the fact I can play Electronic Art$ games on my Micro$oft Xbox and also watch Di$ney movies.
Don't leave out the $ony Play$tation and the Nintendough Moneycube.

Let's face it, we're all just a bunch of suckers holding out fists full of cash waiting for some big corporation to take it from us.
Old 09-12-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EA pays their employees shit.

EA works their employees till their hands bleed.

EA bought out James Bond but has never been able to equal Rare's GoldenEye.

Madden does suck. Sega Sports rules!
Old 09-12-04, 12:13 PM

EA Sports games have horribly cheating AI.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.