Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

can someone explain the pokemons to me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know there were ruby/sapphire for the gba and now the fire red/leaf greens are coming out.

are the new versions updated versions of the old ones? are they completely new games?

do you need both fire red and leaf green? are they totally different games from each other?

are these RPGs?
Old 09-08-04, 10:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of questions! Probably by the time I'm done typing this there will be some better answers than mine, but here goes:

The Pokemon games come in color "sets," usually pairs. Ruby/Sapphire was the first pair for the GBA. The two games are exactly the same, except that certain Pokemon are only in one game or the other. So, in order to "Collect them All" you have to trade with a friend who has the other game.

Pokemon is indeed an RPG. The objective is to collect Pokemon, which you then level up and raise to fight. Each Pokemon has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and you carry your favorites in a group in order to have the strongest "party" possible.

As you probably know, the game is aimed at a younger audience...but the gameplay is addictive and fun. I would say that anybody interested in the RPG genre try one of these games just because they are something a little different.
Old 09-08-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're also much more enjoyable if you have people to trade and fight with. I'll have to skip this version due to lack of friends interested (I had 4 people playing with me when Ruby/Saph came out..)
Old 09-08-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by young

It's easy! You must collect the pokemon or the other kids won't think you're keeeeewwwll!!

COMPLETE THE PRIMARY MAIN OBJECTIVE!
Old 09-08-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: can someone explain the pokemons to me?

Originally posted by young
are the new versions updated versions of the old ones? are they completely new games?
Yes they are the same as the old ones, plus updated graphics and wireless connectivity.
do you need both fire red and leaf green? are they totally different games from each other?
Nope, they are mostly the same, but you won't be able to catch them all if you own just one.

are these RPGs?
Yep these are Role Playing Games, you play as Ash (or someone else of your choosing.
Old 09-08-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cheapskate
It's easy! You must collect the pokemon or the other kids won't think you're keeeeewwwll!!

COMPLETE THE PRIMARY MAIN OBJECTIVE!
I had the same picture ready to copy and paste when I saw the thread title.
Old 09-08-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes Pokemon is an turn based rpg. It's really well designed how you can level up your monsters to be incredibly powerful, but there's a lot of strategy to use like which type (i.e. fire, leaf, water) and different attacks.

You only need to buy one of the series, as someone explained they release them in pairs. It is one of the best gaming experiences around if you're playing with someone else with whom you can trade and battle with, but even if you don't its still a lot of fun. There are tons of different pokemon to cath. Ruby/Sapphire are pretty good ones to start with, I haven't heard too much about the new Red/Green ones except they are a remake of the first, they have updated the graphics and a few other things.

Here's a good indepth review of FireRed/Leaf Green that covers a lot of stuff about the game:
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/544/544549p1.html

And Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire:
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/389/389663p1.html