Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I've become a racing addict....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-04, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've become a racing addict....

Hi I'm Copenhagen and I'm addicted to racing games.

I used to hate the genre and now I don't know why. I only played the Mario Karts and F-Zeros but never gave "real" racing games a chance. Not to long after buying my Xbox I got PGR. I though this is sort of cool, but nothing really special. I then got Rallisport Challenge and was a bit underwhelmed with it. It all started to change with PGR2 and I was hooked. I don't know if it was the game, the racing on LIVE (races or cat and mouse) or what but I went through a time that it was the only game I would play. Then ToCA2 came on an Xbox demo and the next morning I was at BB grabbing a copy. Fast forward to today, another OXM arrives and it has Rallisport Challenge 2 demo. After running through all the availble demos out I go and grab the game. After three hours I need a break and have come the teh realization that I just might be hopelessly addicted to a genre that I once loathed. I find myself looking forward to Forza, IndyCar 2005, and GT4.

Anyone else do a complete 180 on a genre? If so what genre was it and what game turned you on to them?
Old 06-19-04, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also was never a big racer gamer untill Gran Turismo. I loved GT1 and GT2. I dont have a PS2, but so far, Ive kinda been a little dissapointed with xbox racers. PGR2 is great and I really like the crashing on Burnout 2, but I want somethin like GT. I hope Forza is it.
Old 06-19-04, 06:53 AM

I used to hate 2D shooters and really anything involving scoring or time trials in racing games but now that's all I play. Anything involving skill and trying to get better at a game.

I loved PGR too especiallly their ghost system in Time Trial.
Old 06-20-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I hated RPG's until I played Final Fantasy VII. Now I'm a big fan of the genre.
Old 06-20-04, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I used to hate Final Fantasy, but I watched my friend play FFX (I played 1/3 of the time) and I guess I liked it. I still hate the rest of them up to 10 though (as well as Kingdom Hearts). Other than that, I like most types of games and never really did a 180 on anything that I can think of.
Old 06-20-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts
For a minute, I thought you had become a raging addict, which isn't good.
Glad to hear Rallisport 2 is good. I just bought a new copy on Ebay for $17 shipped (after $10 coupon they emailed me). I usually get frustrated or bored with racing games after a while, but I hear that this one starts out very easy, which is good for someone like me (since I pretty much suck). I'll try to track you down Copenhagen, I see you're often playing PGR2 late at night. If you're up for a race against a pathetic noob, I'll send an invite sometime.
Old 06-21-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The late night PGR races are usually cat and mouse so if your inclined feel free to stop by. Rallisport does get increasingly difficult as I have come to find out, which is nice because it seemed almost too easy in the pro class. I've also learned that you really need to unlock all the cars to be competative online. Not being a stats whore, I dont mind falling back, but I do like to be in the thick of things.
Old 06-21-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I was so addicted to PGR2 in November-January that I actually got all platinums in the kudos world series. Then I started playing live and got even more hooked.

Good times those were.
Old 06-21-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm the same with racing games, but not to the extreme that you are. I hated, HATED, most racing games. But then I picked up PGR2 and I loved it. Then using it with Live, and I was completely hooked. I stayed up until 2 am most nights playing. I finally quit cold turkey, but when I do pick up the controls to begin playing, I stay up late. Ahh...reminds me of playing Zelda on the nes as a kid. Started at about 5 pm and then the next thing I knew I had my father yelling at me cuz he was off to work and there I was playing until 6 am the next day.

Neitzl
Old 06-21-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Glad to see you are enjoying the genre, perhaps you should try giving real racing a try then: www.scca.org