Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

what's the largest games size for gba sp, ds, psp?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-04, 05:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are the largest games possible for those systems?
Old 06-06-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 or 12
Old 06-06-04, 07:31 PM

I shouldn't bother posting because I am not really interested...

but...

to the original poster, your question is vague. You could mean one of at least three different things and you will get better results if you actually ask a specific question along the lines of on of the possible meanings for your original question.

1- What is Size of the physical media for each system (dimentions of the cartridge, cd, etc)?

or

2- What is the game system offering games with the most depth in game play...an engaging storyline with a large world to explore like a zelda game as oposed to a linear adventure or puzzle type game

or

3- What is the highest amount of storage capacity on the media alloted for the game system. 64 meg cartriges, 128 meg cds, etc?

If you post a clear question, maybe someone will be able to give you a real response.
Old 06-06-04, 08:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i meant storage capacity. largest megabytes/megabits per media
Old 06-06-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The GBA apparently tops out at 32MB; clever programming techniques (namely bankswitching) could increase that, however. The UMDs used by the PSP have a 1.8GB limit. As for the DS, Nintendo initially claimed (way back when the device was first announced) that the DS flash cards would be capable of storing up to "1 gigabit" of data (roughly 128MB), but that sounds like a mistake if you ask me -- 128MB sounds a bit low and I don't see why it couldn't be higher. Maybe they meant to say 1 gigabyte, I dunno.
Old 06-06-04, 11:36 PM

1 Gigabyte carts? Hmm, maybe you like expensive games.. I think I'll stick with the 128MB carts.
Old 06-07-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Flash memory is getting cheaper, but a 1 Gigabyte cart would still be pretty expensive. The 128MB number is probably correct just from a cost standpoint.

The arguement will be made that Sony's games will be better because of more storage space, but honestly all that means is they will probably have CGI and more cut scenes.

The big mystery about the PSP is still battery life. If Sony can't deliver there then I really don't see the PSP being that great of a portable device. With that big bright screen and a mini DVD drive the thing will need a lot of power.

To be fair I have plenty of doubts about the DS as well. The dual screen thing still screems gimick to me. I'm wondering if third parties will really put an effort into really supporting it.

Last edited by darkside; 06-07-04 at 12:30 AM.