Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What Video Games are you renting

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-04, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Video Games are you renting

Im making this to see what everybody is currently renting, previously rented, renting next, and renting in the future. This could apply to online renting or local video game stores.

I use GameFly online renting.

Just returned:
Mario vs Donkey Kong (GBA)
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Brothers 3 (GBA)

Currently Renting:
none

Renting next:
MVP Baseball 2004 (PS2)
Medal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Gamecube)

Future rents:
Mario Kart: Double Dash (Gamecube)
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (Gamecube)
Old 06-01-04, 01:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Gamefly intrigues me. I joined and then cancelled before I vactioned out of the country, but I might rejoin someday.

I figure $22 a month to sample at least 6 games (depending on mail times) might be worth it. But then, I rarely pay more than $25 for a game, so it would have to save me from about 10 stinkers a year to be worth the $ I guess.
Old 06-01-04, 02:17 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blockbuster has a new promotion going for summer, $49.95 unlimited rentals all summer. I believe you can only have one out at a time.

My concern is that you'll never get the games you want, as they'll always be out though.
Old 06-01-04, 02:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Given the selection at most BBVs, and the 1 game at a time, that is a pretty horrible deal.

Gamefly is just a bit more than that for the summer, allows 2 at a time, and seems to have a good selection/quick turnaround.

Anyone else here with real Gamefly experieince? I was a bit put off my them not sending the manuals. I don't see why they can't laminate them or photocopy them and send them out to renters.
Old 06-01-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still have free rentals at Hollywood video after buying my cube there. But with games so cheap now I hardly ever rent anyways, I can get most games for 10 bucks or less anyways, its worth it to own the game for me.
Old 06-01-04, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
None any more, too many games I still have yet to play through/finish. I tried both Gamefly and Triggerfingers for awhile. I liked GF's site and selection better overall, but they were SLOW in shipping and turn around. Being more centrally located in the country TF had better shipping but the selection was limited and the site leaves a lot to be desired (searching for games, organizing them in a Q, etc).
Old 06-01-04, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was a bit put off my them not sending the manuals. I don't see why they can't laminate them or photocopy them and send them out to renters.
All the instructions you need to play the game are usually given on the website though. Granted you don't get the "back ground" stories or a full explaination but they certainly don't leave you hanging.
Old 06-01-04, 04:20 PM

So far GameFly seems to be alright for me. I've been using it for about 2 weeks. It seems that it takes about 3 days for them to get it back and 3 days for them to get it to me, so thats like one week of waiting time. Im getting two games out at a time, so thats like renting four games a month. Four games for $22 seems to be what I would pay in a rental store, but I dont have to drive to one... but I do have to wait. I guess it has its advantages and its disadvantages. Ill probably just keep GameFly for another month or two, then cancel though.
Old 06-01-04, 06:01 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This falls under the Recently Finished and Now Playing thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=339165