Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Would You Recommend "Fight Night?"

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Would You Recommend "Fight Night?"

I'm thinking about getting this game...but I'm curious...how do you all like it? How is the difficulty level? How is the replay value? How are the controls? Is it fun?

Thanks.
Old 05-24-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't played it but my friend loves the game. It's the only game he plays. I'll try to get more detailed info from him.
Old 05-24-04, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fight Night

The game is a lot of fun. It is the best boxing game since the evry first Knockout Kings for ps1. The controls are good and online is even a lot of fun. I recommend it.
Old 05-24-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My roommate bought this game and he likes it a lot. I've played it once or twice and it's a fun game. You definitely can't mindlessly button smash here like some of the other boxing games out there.
Old 05-24-04, 11:33 PM

I enjoy it, especially the Create A Boxer feature. I found a website with a crapload of em and now I've got Foreman, Tyson, De La Hoya, the Klitschko bros, and Little Mac from MT Punchout. Its an excellent game to play with friends.
Old 05-25-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

whats the website?
Old 05-25-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got it and it's great. But if you're loking for something that is challenging you might want to skip it. I won the heavyweight title with a record of 29-5 28ko. Your boxer gets way too strong if you figure out the training games, and then it becomes too easy. I can knock out Rocky Marciano in 2 round, Ali in 1. But getting to that point was outrageously fun. Nothing quite like having Holyfield pinned on the ropes, knock him out and then have the ropes prop him up and let you fire off three uppercuts while he's on his way to the mat.
Old 05-25-04, 10:04 AM

To offer a different opinion, I think the game is pretty good but not great. At first I was really into it but I got burned out on it really quick.

What infuriated me the most was the boxers who wouldn't do anything but run away. I would just chase them in circles around the ring. Eventually I got so bored I tried to DQ myself with shots below the belt.

Also, the game is quite unrealistic in that most bouts are decided by KO in 2-3 rounds.

If you really like boxing, or want a game you can pick up and play quickly with your friends this one is pretty good for that, but I wouldn't expect a lot of long term interest. Pick it up when it drops to $30 or so.
Old 05-25-04, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
I've got it and it's great. But if you're loking for something that is challenging you might want to skip it. I won the heavyweight title with a record of 29-5 28ko. Your boxer gets way too strong if you figure out the training games, and then it becomes too easy. I can knock out Rocky Marciano in 2 round, Ali in 1. But getting to that point was outrageously fun. Nothing quite like having Holyfield pinned on the ropes, knock him out and then have the ropes prop him up and let you fire off three uppercuts while he's on his way to the mat.
The main thing that's keeping me from winning a title is not being able to figure out the heavy bag training. I don't have much problems with the other training aspects just the heavy bag --- so my power and speed ratings are always sorely lacking by the time I get to the top ten. Any hints??
Old 05-25-04, 08:53 PM

I really enjoy this game. No button mashing and it's fairly quick to learn, say 3 fights will do you good.

On the heavy bag training, you need to get in a motion, I normally start off with two left hooks, then time a right hook, then alternate left and right hooks. The key is to just keep the bag swinging. Don't throw any jabs, just lots of hooks.

The reason for the two left hooks is to get the bag moving to the right, then a right hook to move the bag to the left, then a left hook to move the bag further to the right, then a right hook to move the bag further to the left and so on. Give it a try, remember, try to give it a motion.
Old 05-26-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

exactly, a couple nice hooks to get it moving and then it's all timing from there.
Old 05-26-04, 07:56 AM

i have enjoyed it and if the cpu gets boring thats where the online comes in.
you think your good till ya get pummeled by some online opponents.

still a good buy but i did get more of an acomplishment high when i beat some of the fighters in victorious boxers and glad to here a sequel to V.B. is in the works.
Old 05-26-04, 01:36 PM

Zman & Liver&Onions ----

Thanks!! I'm definitely gonna give this a shot!
Old 05-26-04, 06:02 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mowork
The main thing that's keeping me from winning a title is not being able to figure out the heavy bag training. I don't have much problems with the other training aspects just the heavy bag --- so my power and speed ratings are always sorely lacking by the time I get to the top ten. Any hints??
To succeed in the heavy bag, change the controller to configuration 6. Use the only the left & right hook keys to punch the bag. Once the bag starts swinging, you're well on your way.

This game is pretty good, I find it quite challenging on the higher levels. My only gripe is that the games forces your boxer to retire after the age of 40.

I haven't played it online yet, can anyone tell me how it is online?
Old 05-28-04, 07:14 PM

folks with XBOX version of Fight night. If you have an action replay, I have typed in about 20 CAB's and posted them in the operationsports.com forums. You have to register for the forums, but it's well worth it for other rosters and such. There is a post in the rosters and downloads forums with my name on it, and you just click on the individual files.
Old 05-28-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
This thread has made me want to pick this up. Any good deals on it this week?
Old 06-06-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like it. It takes a long time to get the controls down, but once you do, it's awesome. I still have tons of trouble training with bag and the mitts. I also can't seem to ever win a decision if it gets that far, even though I thought I kicked the guy's ass. Is there any advantage to buying trunks, mitts, shoes etc.? It doesn't seem to make your boxer any different except for the looks.
Old 06-06-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

CC has it for $35 .
Old 06-06-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's at CC for $35? I just paid 50 for it there last week. Then again, I did use a 50 gift card. But still.
Old 06-06-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My bad, forgot to mention they only have the PS2 version on sale, but it's still $35.
Old 06-08-04, 11:55 AM

I also love this game but it does get old after a little while. Part of the fun though is trying to create all of your friends and family as boxers. I made myself and it looks exactly like me. It was almost scary.( The fact that I could make one, Not that I look scary that is) :-)
Old 06-15-04, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I picked up the Xbox version this week and so far I'm hating it.

I got knocked down twice, and couldn't get up. I barely hurt my opponent and I'm bloody by the end of the first round. I despise the controls.

Looks like this is going back. Too bad because it seems like it'd be fun.
Old 06-15-04, 06:59 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you just standing face-to-face with your opponent and button mashing? You may have to finesse a little bit. I play it whenever I go into Best Buy (weekly or so), and I'm at the point where it's a good challenge to play on Hard. Have you tried dropping the difficulty level? The Easy level boxers barely punch back, it feels like.

From what I saw, it seems like there are two different knockout modes... one where you either just button mash or automatically get up, and the other where you have to align the ref's images.

And the controls are pretty easily changeable... you don't have to use the total punch controls. I usually set it so that the buttons control the punches, and the right thumb is for blocking.

I'm not just trying to be contrary... it's just that I had the exact opposite experience that you did, and I don't know why.
Old 06-15-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Static Cling
Are you just standing face-to-face with your opponent and button mashing? You may have to finesse a little bit. I play it whenever I go into Best Buy (weekly or so), and I'm at the point where it's a good challenge to play on Hard. Have you tried dropping the difficulty level? The Easy level boxers barely punch back, it feels like.

From what I saw, it seems like there are two different knockout modes... one where you either just button mash or automatically get up, and the other where you have to align the ref's images.

And the controls are pretty easily changeable... you don't have to use the total punch controls. I usually set it so that the buttons control the punches, and the right thumb is for blocking.

I'm not just trying to be contrary... it's just that I had the exact opposite experience that you did, and I don't know why.
Ok, I played again, this time on easy, and won a couple of fights. I went ahead and changed the control configuration, too.

I just got my ass beat, though, by some white guy

How do you block? I try to back off and such but I still get owned.

Oh and I found the auto recover, thanks. A hell of alot easier.
Old 06-15-04, 08:42 PM

I'm curious if you're desperate for a boxing game and have yet to find one or if you're a boxing freak who likes to play every boxing game out there. If you're just looking for the best boxing game I could definitly recommend Victorious Boxers for the PS2. Best control ever in a boxing game IMO and overall the most realistic boxing game on the planet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.