Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

E3 closing thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-04, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E3 closing thoughts

Since today is the final day figured one thread could provide the wrap ups for everyone on the final thoughts of the show. Which venders were the best of the best and which ones were lacking?

Best swag item, worse swag items?

Best Booth babe?

whatever else.
Old 05-14-04, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'll start off with the already given. Xbox came out weak. The biggest they had to offer was DOOM 3 ten minute demo while they made Halo 2 Media only. No sign of it and the section they had was closed off completely so the heat was fairly bad there.

Phantom is the clear cut WORSE system booth ever. I took a bite out of styrofoam bread/cracker thing. They had a freak'n FAKE bagel with FAKE cream cheese on it. WTF is up wit that? Don't forget the fact that they didn't offer anything to show. They claimed no internet connection so they couldn't get the content to their funky waste of a stripped computer system.

More later.
Old 05-14-04, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Phantom is the clear cut WORSE system booth ever. I took a bite out of styrofoam bread/cracker thing. They had a freak'n FAKE bagel with FAKE cream cheese on it. WTF is up wit that?
Are you serious?

Old 05-14-04, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

yes. serious

the remains of my styrofoam bread/cracker thing. Another guy I met up there yesterday snagged the bagel. Why would you put out fake food for decoration? The booth was completely a waste of money, time and space.
Old 05-14-04, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts
eww
Old 05-14-04, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They had a freak'n FAKE bagel with FAKE cream cheese on it. WTF is up wit that?
That's great.
Old 05-14-04, 06:43 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
yes. serious

the remains of my styrofoam bread/cracker thing. Another guy I met up there yesterday snagged the bagel. Why would you put out fake food for decoration? The booth was completely a waste of money, time and space.
Old 05-14-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What was sega's secret conference???

Did i miss it?
Old 05-14-04, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by raven56706

Did i miss it?
I believe it was that they announced they were coming out with their own handheld system.
Old 05-14-04, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by raven56706

Did i miss it?
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05...s_6097970.html

Sega officially announces Matrix Online deal

After weeks of wild rumors, the so-called "Sega-ton" announcement proves anticlimactic.

Two weeks ago, wild rumors of a resurgent Dreamcast raged after Sega sent out word that it would have an "explosive announcement" at this year's E3. However, that news detonated over the weekend when Sega posted large banners all over the Los Angeles Convention Center announcing its deal to publish The Matrix Online.

Nevertheless, the press gathered at Sega's E3 booth today to see if the so-called "Sega-ton" had any more bang left in it. After a brief delay, the lights in the Sega booth dimmed and Sega of America president Hideaki Irie emerged to announce…a deal with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Monolith to publish the Matrix Online.

Speaking to the audience, WBIE's senior vice president Jason Hall said he considered the massively multiplayer game "the fourth movie in the series," and he hyped up the detail of its urban setting. Them Monolith CEO Samantha Ryan appeared to present a so-called "super brawl," in which a group of Monolith staffers duked it out inside the Matrix Online. Sega will be staging these demo fights throughout E3.

For more on the Matrix Online, check back later for our forthcoming preview
Old 05-14-04, 10:15 AM
Retired

From following online, the only things that got me excited are the new GC and GBA Zelda games. No other surprises excited me, and no need to get excited about stuff like Halo 2 that I've been reading about for ages.
Old 05-14-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Sadly, no Shenmue 3 again this year
Old 05-14-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
So Halo 2 wasn't playable
Old 05-14-04, 01:04 PM
Retired

Originally posted by tanman
So Halo 2 wasn't playable
They're probably still tweaking it, and didn't show it. It's not like it needs anymore publicity or hype.
Old 05-14-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Halo 2 was playable.
Old 05-14-04, 01:52 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Jeremy517
Halo 2 was playable.
But wasn't it playable only behind closed doors for the media?
Old 05-14-04, 06:43 PM

I personally thought that Sega's booth was so disappointing. They might as well have not shown up at all.

Square-Enix's ticket system for the show was so gay. I went in 30 mins after the show floor was opened and already the whole days' worth of showing was 'sold out'. WTF is that!?!? I still say if you want to watch the show, get in line.

Both Half Life 2 showings were awesome, although I kinda hope they didn't both show the same Counter-Strike demo.

Ubisoft's Prince of Persia 2 kicked much ass. It seemed like Ubi knew exactly where their weekness in the last game was, and worked on it right away. I defintely can't wait for this game.

The DS and the PSP was over-hyped, but they're still nifty little handhelds.

Microsoft's booth was disappointing, but I didn't really expected much from them this year.

Sony's booth was the same, but can't wait for FFXII.

Nintendo had the most impressive demos on their floor. Advance Wars, Metroid Prime 2, Star Fox 2....the list goes on...I'm so glad I didn't get rid of my Cube yet.

Well, that's all from me. Another 365 days till the next E3.... T_T
Old 05-14-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

the "fast pass" crap was a bit to much. Half Life 2 tried that the first day and it went to hell. for every showing only 5-6 folks that were in line got in so the lines would be so backed up it was a waste. than the t-shirt system was lame. You had to go to both shows and wait the hour+ for each one just to collect both pieces to collect your shirt. good thing they dropped that on the second day. Scored with both shirts.
Old 05-14-04, 07:16 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Best Swag was the free DS Stylus Pen.
Worst Swag..uggg, the one's that gave nothing out!

I felt Nintendo had the best display (Metroid, Starfox, Donkey Konga, Advance Wars, Zelda...DS!). Xbox had the second (Doom, Knights II, Fable, Sudeki..) and Sony was last (FF12 looks goods, so does K. Hearts)
Old 05-14-04, 07:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
the "fast pass" crap was a bit to much. Half Life 2 tried that the first day and it went to hell. for every showing only 5-6 folks that were in line got in so the lines would be so backed up it was a waste. than the t-shirt system was lame. You had to go to both shows and wait the hour+ for each one just to collect both pieces to collect your shirt. good thing they dropped that on the second day. Scored with both shirts.
Thats a big reason why I wasn't pleased with Sonys booth. I tried to get a frickin' button 15 mins after te show opened and they were all gone. What BS.
Old 05-14-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'll start off with the already given. Xbox came out weak. The biggest they had to offer was DOOM 3 ten minute demo while they made Halo 2 Media only. No sign of it and the section they had was closed off completely so the heat was fairly bad there.

Phantom is the clear cut WORSE system booth ever. I took a bite out of styrofoam bread/cracker thing. They had a freak'n FAKE bagel with FAKE cream cheese on it. WTF is up wit that? Don't forget the fact that they didn't offer anything to show. They claimed no internet connection so they couldn't get the content to their funky waste of a stripped computer system.

More later.
I heard the polls had nintendo's booth as 1st and Microsoft's booth as second. I don't really see how their booth was weak - it wasn't decorated all cool or anything, but they seemed to have the most games to play. I played around with Doom 3 and that was fun... Jade Empire was also good... there were a bunch of awesome titles there to play with - plus, EA Sports was Live and ready to go. Most people didn't know that EA's sports were playable, they thought it was just an announcement. Guess it isn't impressive if you aren't into sports games. Phantom's booth was terrible, but at least they had bean bag chairs. I actually felt that the entire West Hall was a complete waste except for Bandai and Namco. Sony's booth was just a big sprawl - at least they didn't re-use the same riser as the last 2 years.

I think I ended up with 11 different shirts. And some I'd actually wear this time as opposed to last 2 years where the shirts I got were all dumb lookin.

My biggest annoyance this year was how all the FPS and 3rd person game demos were set up with frickin inverted Y axis... who the hell plays this way unless it's a flight sim?? I can't stand it.

They also seemed to be a smaller number of "booth babes" this year... especially on Wednesday. By Friday, there seemed to be more though. Not really a gripe, but just an observation.

I didn't see any of you there... oh well.
Old 05-14-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trigger

My biggest annoyance this year was how all the FPS and 3rd person game demos were set up with frickin inverted Y axis... who the hell plays this way unless it's a flight sim?? I can't stand it.

Actually i always play with the inverted axis and the 3 or 4 friends i have who play fps do as well.
Old 05-14-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anything interesting or impressions on Jade Empire? Also, any demos or anything of KOTOR 2?
Old 05-14-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well then you're all annoying too.
Old 05-14-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trigger
Well then you're all annoying too.
If only you knew my friends you would know how true this stement is...

But it does seem odd that they had them all reversed as opposed to a few non-inverted for you strange people

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.