DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/364089-chronicles-riddick-escape-butcher-bay.html)

flashburn 05-13-04 04:50 PM

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

This game seems to have came out of nowhere, and looks very impressive, judging by the videos and screen shots I have seen. The models look very realistic, and the gameplay looks pretty fun. My only concern is that I am not a big fan of console FPS games, I much rather play on my PC.

It seems this is slated to come out 6/1, the same day as Full Spectrum Warrior, so I think I will be waiting for a price drop on this one.

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/...5110401126.jpg
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/...013004_013.jpg
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/...5110401547.jpg

harosa 05-13-04 05:13 PM

The demo on the Official Xbox demo disc is sweet, a little too short though.

flashburn 05-13-04 05:15 PM

Originally posted by harosa
The demo on the Official Xbox demo disc is sweet, a little too short though.
I was thinking about picking up the magazine for that demo alone, but I didn't think it would be worth it.

Does someone have an extra demo or one they don't want, and would be willing to part with it for the cost of shipping?

Josh H 05-13-04 05:16 PM

It does look like it could be good. But you I never have high hopes, for every EA LOTR game, there's 20 Enter the Matrix quality or worse games out there.

Plus, ETM looked good from the previews.

flashburn 05-13-04 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
It does look like it could be good. But you I never have high hopes, for every EA LOTR game, there's 20 Enter the Matrix quality or worse games out there.

Plus, ETM looked good from the previews.

That is my only worry. With the movie coming out just a week or so after it's release, I am hoping that it won't be a buggy pile of crap. I am thinking this won't be the case, since people seem to enjoy the demo.

juanmgonzalez 05-13-04 06:40 PM

You guys should have seen the crowd waiting to see Vin Diesel at E3 this afternoon!!!

I quickly left as it was impossible to navigate through the Universal mega booth after he arrived.

trigun 05-13-04 07:43 PM

Game scored a 9/10 in one of the recent Xbox mags (forget which one, one of the freebies I get).

flashburn 05-13-04 08:02 PM

XBN

Trevor 05-13-04 10:09 PM

Originally posted by flashburn
I was thinking about picking up the magazine for that demo alone, but I didn't think it would be worth it.

Does someone have an extra demo or one they don't want, and would be willing to part with it for the cost of shipping?

Flashburn,

For less than $2 a month, you can subscribe and get a usually great demo disc every month. Sure, the mag is mostly crap, but the discs are worth at least $5 a month in my mind. And even if only 3 a year interest you, a subscription saves you money.

flashburn 05-14-04 04:59 AM

Originally posted by Trevor
Flashburn,

For less than $2 a month, you can subscribe and get a usually great demo disc every month. Sure, the mag is mostly crap, but the discs are worth at least $5 a month in my mind. And even if only 3 a year interest you, a subscription saves you money.

Thanks for the tip, I never realized it was that cheap. I might just do that.

Liquid Death 05-14-04 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Trevor
Flashburn,

Do you have a link to that offer or do you have to buy the magazine and then send in the card?

alexkat 05-14-04 11:35 AM

If anyone is interested, I'm able to order the game from my job at a discount. Since I'll be ordering the game for myself I can get 4 more copies. I did this previously with Metal Arms so some of you may remember me. My name is listed on the good traders list. Here's the breakdown on price, it'll be $22.67 plus shipping($2 for usps, $4 UPS) US dvdtalkers only.

I no longer have any available copies of Chronicles of Riddick. If you are interested in any other games that are made by VU Games please let me know.

I can also get Van Helsing(ps2,xbox,gba) if anyone's interested.

flashburn 05-14-04 11:38 AM

Originally posted by alexkat
If anyone is interested, I'm able to order the game from my job at a discount. Since I'll be ordering the game for myself I can get 4 more copies. I did this previously with Metal Arms so some of you may remember me. My name is listed on the good traders list. Here's the breakdown on price, it'll be $22.67 plus shipping($2 for usps, $4 UPS) US dvdtalkers only.

Please email me if your interested at [email protected]. First come, first serve I'll only have 4 copies for dvdtalk users.

YGM! You rule for hooking some of us up with Metal Arms for cheap.

gorgo99 05-14-04 11:39 AM

The PsiOps demo on this month's disc is cool, too... QUITE intriguing

Trigger 05-14-04 07:42 PM

The game looked sweet... I'm gonna have to pick this up.

Liquid Death 05-14-04 10:34 PM

If anyone is interested, I'm able to order the game from my job at a discount.
YGM.

Trevor 05-14-04 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Liquid Death
Do you have a link to that offer or do you have to buy the magazine and then send in the card?
The price at their website and on the cards in magazine fluctuates. I've seen everything from 19.95 to 29.95 per year.

juanmgonzalez 05-15-04 11:25 AM

I no longer have any available copies of Chronicles of Riddick. If you are interested in any other games that are made by VU Games please let me know.

I can vouch for Alexkat for this and any other deal.

Sucks that I didn't see this in time as I would have jumped on the deal.

slop101 06-02-04 05:42 PM

Okay - so who got this and what do you think?

Apparantly the game looks and plays a lot better than the demo (which wasn't too bad).

Fry's has it for $34.99.

flashburn 06-02-04 05:49 PM

Should get my copy early next week from Alexkat.

PalmerJoss 06-02-04 10:46 PM

Picked up my copy today, and I must say that I am very surprised. I based my purchase on the reviews that I have been reading and the demo that I played a couple weeks ago, and I can honestly say that this is probably the best Xbox game I've played all year next to Ninja Gaiden. Incredible graphics, amazing gameplay--what more could one ask for? Currently I'm trying to navigate my way through the mines, and I hope to have the game completed sometime tomorrow.

cartman 06-02-04 10:47 PM

Yeah, this is a really good game. It's all been said already, though :).

Anyone know where to find Abbot in the pig level? Gamefaqs has no help as of yet.

Decker 06-02-04 10:52 PM

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Picked up my copy today... this is probably the best Xbox game I've played all year next to Ninja Gaiden....I hope to have the game completed sometime tomorrow.
Anyone else find this to be somewhat contradictory?

boredsilly 06-02-04 11:43 PM

It's funny but this is the game that is finally going to make me buy an X-box. Not KOTOR* or Halo* but a game based on a movie!?!?! How insane is that? I guess it doesn't hurt that I really enjoyed the first movie and also like Vin Diesel's VO work a lot. I can't wait to play this.

*However I will get these very soon.

trigun 06-03-04 12:55 AM

There was a pretty good making of special for this game on G4TechTV (ugh what a name). If G4 is true to its roots, it will be rerun 50 times before the movie comes out.