DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/364089-chronicles-riddick-escape-butcher-bay.html)

flashburn 06-03-04 04:55 AM

Originally posted by Decker
Anyone else find this to be somewhat contradictory?
Not at all, just because a game is short, doesn't mean it can't be his favorite.

Josh H 06-03-04 11:02 AM

According the EGM review it's only about 9 hours, so I'm definitely not picking this up. I may rent it or pick it up down the road if I can find it for $10 or in the trade forum.

PixyJunket 06-03-04 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Decker
Anyone else find this to be somewhat contradictory?
Nope.

Setzer 06-03-04 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
According the EGM review it's only about 9 hours, so I'm definitely not picking this up. I may rent it or pick it up down the road if I can find it for $10 or in the trade forum.
Definitely not worth $50 for only 9 hours. I'll rent it....$5 for 5 Days...plenty enough time to beat it. :D

slop101 06-03-04 12:12 PM

One play-through is roughly 10 hours - but that doesn't take into account many branching paths and missions that you will miss when choosing something else - if you were able to do everything in the game in one play-through it would be closer to 20 hours.

Josh H 06-03-04 12:13 PM

I have a hard time getting motivated to replay games, even with branching paths. I still haven't replayed KOTOR on the dark side quest, and that's one of my favorite games of all time. :D

TheMadMonk 06-03-04 12:23 PM

Hmmm, we've had bad games based on bad movies (tomb raider, most super hero games), good games based on good movies (the two towers, return of the king), bad games based on bad movies that are sequels of good movies (enter the matrix).

Now, will the movie live up to the game? Or will we have a good game that is based on a bad movie? :)

flashburn 06-03-04 12:33 PM

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Hmmm, we've had bad games based on bad movies (tomb raider, most super hero games), good games based on good movies (the two towers, return of the king), bad games based on bad movies that are sequels of good movies (enter the matrix).

Now, will the movie live up to the game? Or will we have a good game that is based on a bad movie? :)

Well it is not really based on the movie, it is a prequel to it. I can't remember the exact timeline, but I believe the game takes place before Pitch Black.

Josh H 06-03-04 12:39 PM

Originally posted by flashburn
, but I believe the game takes place before Pitch Black.
It does indeed, it's a prequel to both movies.

PixyJunket 06-03-04 12:44 PM

Hmmm, we've had bad games based on bad movies (tomb raider)
Tomb Raider was not based on a movie.

Josh H 06-03-04 12:45 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Tomb Raider was not based on a movie.
Yep, that should go in the bad movie based on a bad game category. ;)

TheMadMonk 06-03-04 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Yep, that should go in the bad movie based on a bad game category. ;)
Correct, but in this case, I am referring to the "Cradle of Life" game and movie; I believe that for this episode of the Tomb Raider series, the video game was released to capitalize on the release of the Movie, and not t'other way 'round. So, to be more specific, this was a case of a bad game being based off a bad movie, which is based off a bad game series.

Although, the world was not exactly clamoring for the release of either version.

PixyJunket 06-03-04 01:40 PM

Correct, but in this case, I am referring to the "Cradle of Life" game and movie; I believe that for this episode of the Tomb Raider series, the video game was released to capitalize on the release of the Movie, and not t'other way 'round. So, to be more specific, this was a case of a bad game being based off a bad movie, which is based off a bad game series.

Although, the world was not exactly clamoring for the release of either version.

There was no Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life game.

Josh H 06-03-04 01:49 PM

Pixy's right, there was no Cradle of Life game. Angel of Darkness was the game, and it was just the next in the series, and had nothing to do with the movie, though you're right in that they did rush it out to come out around the movie.

Trevor 06-03-04 01:58 PM

Just wanted to say that Pitch Black was a good movie, bit of a sleeper hit i guess.

I picked up the new release w/ the free ticket to Riddick. Now I can gift out or sell my old version.

PixyJunket 06-03-04 02:00 PM

Yeah.. :lol:

Did Paramount blame the game being bad for low ticket sales or was it the other way around? I remember something along those lines concerning this game and movie.

Josh H 06-03-04 02:17 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Yeah.. :lol:

Did Paramount blame the game being bad for low ticket sales or was it the other way around? I remember something along those lines concerning this game and movie.

Yeah, Paramount blamed the game sucking on hurting ticket sales. -rolleyes-

TheMadMonk 06-03-04 02:24 PM

I remembered them blaming the poor movie numbers on the game being bad. I guess I just assumed the game and movie were more closely related. I guess I'll go shoot myself in the head now, for being so uninformed.

flashburn 06-03-04 02:29 PM

I remembered them blaming the poor movie numbers on the game being bad. I guess I just assumed the game and movie were more closely related. I guess I'll go shoot myself in the head now, for being so uninformed.
Can we watch? ;)

Brewc 06-05-04 11:54 PM

Bought game Friday around 8 P.M. finished midnight Saturday.

Trigger 06-06-04 01:13 AM

Originally posted by Trevor
Just wanted to say that Pitch Black was a good movie, bit of a sleeper hit i guess.

I picked up the new release w/ the free ticket to Riddick. Now I can gift out or sell my old version.

Does the new DVD version add anything in terms of extras that make it worth getting? Better video/sound?

Trigger 06-06-04 01:14 AM

Originally posted by Brewc
Bought game Friday around 8 P.M. finished midnight Saturday.
4 hours or 16 hours?

Decker 06-06-04 01:28 AM

In all seriousness, is there any reason this game should be purchased instead or rented? With no multi-player, I can't imagine there's a huge need to play it more than once, is there?

Brewc 06-06-04 09:02 AM

I think I put in about 12 hrs total playing time, got all but 3-4 packs of cigs and didn't see much in way of alternative routes.
I dunno if this can have many more extras and a harder replay wouldn't excite me ,but the graphics were top notch best Ive seen on hi-def. Taking this and Red dead in to trade for full spectrum warrior.

Trevor 06-06-04 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Does the new DVD version add anything in terms of extras that make it worth getting? Better video/sound?
same on video/sound, anamorphic and DTS

differences in new version:

no insert
commercials in beginning, Eurotrip and the game we're discussing here
new menus
no production notes, cast and filmamkers, recommendations, or dvd newsletter
no Raveworld Pitch Black Event
adds 5 featurettes listed on back of new box

I haven't watched the new features in full, so I'm not sure if they are worth the extra cost. But first impressions are that they are fluff.
The stuff it loses is negligible.
Since I knew I wanted to see the movie in theater anyway, it was only an extra $9 or so to get this edition, and the collector/completist in me is happy I did so. I'll probably stupidly keep both versions to have all the extras, but I'm silly that way sometimes.
I should have gotten it through CH to make it cheaper, but I didn't want to risk not getting the free movie ticket.