Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Thising about the ApeXtreme, X-box, etc. and I have a question....

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-11-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the concept of the ApeXtreme and have gotten excited reading more and more about it (and the other versions, usch as the one by Alienware).

But why wouldn't a company like MS do this exact same thing (or Sony for that matter) with their console. I would think that they could easily modify their current machines to play PC games without much trouble. They could then also allow it to play exclusives as well. It seems like a win/win to me. Halo could be exclusive to the X-box, and eventually go to the PC just as it did last time. MS has their exclusivity in tact (or anyone else, should they want that), but they also open up a huge library of games that aren't on consoles as well. And where Apex, etc. must actually make a profit on the console, MS can take a loss to make money on the sale of games.

I suppose that the downside is that developers would just make PC games rather than console specific (to get out of the fees they pay to the consoles), but that can be worked out to by various means as well.

Anyway, as much as I would enjoy having an ApeXtreme, I would much rather have the same capabilities in my X-2
Old 05-12-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Obviously my idea has stunned the forum.

nobody likes the concept of the apeXtreme? or the idea of having both a console and the pc games in one machine?
Old 05-12-04, 02:08 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems pointless to me for the most part. One of the biggest advantages to a PC is the higher resolution, if you hook this up to a TV you lose that.

Even more pointless for those of us with zero interest in PC games.
Old 05-12-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

But hook it up to your plasma, or projector, and you have some wicked graphics. I much prefer to play games on my big screen from my couch. I also like several games on PC that will just never be on consoles (or suck when they are ported).

It seems like a natural for MS, and I doubt the cost would be much additional. But like the early people deciding which console to buy when one could be used as a dvd player and one could not, etc. I think this would sell.

You are console shopping (actually we would go with the one that has the games we want, but if mom is shopping) and one can play the console games plus all pc games, I think it sells better.
Old 05-12-04, 05:13 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, with MS they said from the beginning they didn't want the X-box to be perceived as just a PC you hook up to the TV, so that's probably the main factor holding them back.

There's just a tremendous split between PC gamers and Console gamers, with really on the very hard core who play both. Even on this site, a poll one time showed a pretty sizeable majority that played "console only" and you expect, given that this is a net site, that there would be a lot of hardcore gamers here that played both. So I'd imagine in the real world the split is even more dynamic.

Given that the console market is much more sizeable (if you don't count people playing bejeweled and what not as PC gamers, only those that buy several games a year) that's what MS is going to focus on with the X-box.