Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man 2 game! Looks Awesome! 'Nuff said

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Are you getting this game?
XBOX
50.00%
PS2
10.81%
GC
14.86%
PC
0%
Not getting it
24.32%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man 2 game! Looks Awesome! 'Nuff said

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
http://www2.toysrus.com/campGeoffrey...geo_coupon.cfm

$10 OFF $50 FROM TOYSRUS... RIPPED FROM FW
Old 06-29-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
I might pick it up after I see some reviews......
Old 06-29-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the game is indeed awesome, i just need to get use to the web slinging.
Old 06-29-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Got to play some of it when my store closed, and DAMN Im VERY impressed. The city is huge and gives you a lot of room to be creative in how you get from point to point. The web-slinging is very different from the last Spider-Man games, but it is a welcomed improvement. The combat is slowed down to draw out the impact of Spider-Man's punches and kicks, not exactly like Max Payne or Dead to Rights but slower and adds an impact that I feel works for this title. I didnt have much time to really explore but the free-roaming is something that should have been done from the begining, but without the last game Treyarch would not have been able to make such improvements. I'll post more impressions tomorrow after my shift when I get home. But man this game great so far.

Another post from your friendly neighborhood zero.
Old 06-29-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Great to hear

I'll buy one, please.
Old 06-29-04, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can someone comment on the camera? That was the main reason I hated the first game so much...

Jeremy
Old 06-29-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The camera is good, you can adjust the angle with the right thumb stick... Making it very easy to see. I haven't gotten very into te story, I enjoy swinging around, getting used to the buttons. But, so far the "random" crimes on the street have repeated over and over. I think there is 6 different ones. So free roam is good but the variety of what you can do with your free roam may end up bieng limited. I will have to get into the story more before I can give it a thums up or down.

Shadow
Old 06-29-04, 12:04 PM

Some reviews are up at www.gamerankings.com now. They're all very positive. Good news.

If there's any criticism it's that the graphics are a little on the ugly side, but I guess I can live with that if the gameplay is good.

It also sounds like I'll have to watch the movie before I play the game if I don't want it spoiled. Not a big deal though.
Old 06-29-04, 01:50 PM

BB ad shows Spider-Man 2 for $24.99 for the PC. Has anyone tried the PC version? Is this the same game?
Old 06-29-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by njchris
BB ad shows Spider-Man 2 for $24.99 for the PC. Has anyone tried the PC version? Is this the same game?
Nope. It is not the same game.
Old 06-29-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The PC version sucks!!!! DO NOT GET IT!!!!!
Old 06-29-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Decker
Some reviews are up at www.gamerankings.com now. They're all very positive. Good news.

If there's any criticism it's that the graphics are a little on the ugly side, but I guess I can live with that if the gameplay is good.

It also sounds like I'll have to watch the movie before I play the game if I don't want it spoiled. Not a big deal though.
Yeah, Activision let the reviews go a day early (embargo was set for midnight tonight), so we got ours up at Console Gold. I didn't personally write this one though.
Old 06-29-04, 05:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
I think the majority of reviews will be after the movie because of the game to movie spoilers..that is why so few now i think.
and people who complain about the graphics..you remember GTA and GTA:VC always got the least marks for graphics but the 9's and 9.5's because of the free roam and the game's universe. this seems no different and seems like it rivals GTA. could be fun, but i am not one of those video game geeks. i am very in the closet.
Old 06-29-04, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
Oh yea...the Clone Saga! yes my friend that's Scarlet Spider
I liked the clone sega they sould nto have killed Ben damn it I liked him. Anyway I want this game but I'm to cheap to pay full price and when I get the extra cash after next week all the sell prices will be over
Old 06-29-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IGN's review is already up:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/527/527076p1.html

Closing Comments

There would normally be enough negative stuff in Spider-Man 2 to earn this game a lower score, but Treyarch has done a bang-up job of aiming high, solving problems from the previous title, and not only placing some seriously cool technology in there, but by seizing on the good parts of the game and exploiting them for all they're worth. Yeah, the missions get redundant, the boss fights are so-so, and the voice acting is terrible. It's also very difficult to get to precisely where you want to go.

But the game's huge landscape is filled with stuff to collect, missions to beat, tokens and icons to find, and the combat system, the web-slinging system, the counter system are counteract the negative stuff. Spider-Man 2 does the best job of delivering a super-hero game ever, topping Neversoft's first valiant effort, and Treyarch's technology coupled with its craft makes you feel like Spider-Man like no other game has ever done.

The final analysis is based on this: When I finished this game at 2 am this morning, I kept playing for two more hours. Just for fun. I was into it; addicted. I wanted to beat old times in races, pull off cool style moves, and put to use my counter moves and web slinging attacks that I overlooked before. This is no longer just a simple arcade game. It's more than that now; it's a skill-based game where you actually need structures around to stick your web (instead of just air like before), where counters and Spidey Sense are useful, and where you're constantly upgrading your abilities. Where you feel that Tony Hawk addicting setting in. Spider-Man 2 may have its faults, but its collective strengths are greater than its combined faults. It's the best Super-hero game I've played.

-- Douglass C. Perry

Ratings: Description:
out of 10 click here for ratings guide

9.0 Presentation
An excellent map and navigation system are coupled with good, but not great CG.

8.0 Graphics
Technically, Spider-Man 2 is more impressive than it's artistic endeavors. The draw distances and certain character animations are awesome, while some textures and minor glitches hamper the game.

7.0 Sound
The sweeping Danny Elfman score is a little familiar now, and the voice acting for the most part is horrific. Menace!

9.0 Gameplay
It's got a killer web-slinging feel, an impressive new updated combat system witrh counters and bullet time, and besides the redundant missions and inconsistent boss fights, it's good.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
Once you finished the story, there is an immense amount of stuff to do. Awesome replay value here, despite no online or multiplayer content.

9.0 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)
Jeremy
Old 06-29-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got the game and played about an hour of it. It's really cool when you first start the game and hear Bruce Cambell narrate the tutorial. This is something I'm glad they kept from the first game. The city is pretty large and it's a bit tough to navigate around the city and know where you are. Graphics aren't too great but the depth of the city makes up for it.

Something that I find cool and annoying at the same time is the web-slinging. This time around you can't just shoot web at an invisible wall in the sky and expect to sling around the city (like in the first game). There actually needs to be buildings for the web to grab onto. While definitely more realistic, it makes navigating much harder. Some buildings are really low so I find myself slamming into the ground occasionally. Some side quests require you to get to checkpoints in record time, so you'll definitely need to practice your web-slinging.

The save system is great because it allows you to save anywhere (it does take a while though). There's also a map to help you navigate the city. I did encounter a glitch while playing though. My game froze up (crashed) while it was trying to load another chapter. I hadn't saved in a while so it kinda pissed me off. All-in-all this is a pretty good game (most GTA clones usually turn out to be good). I'm glad they completely revamped the series.
Old 06-29-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's all just great. It's not a perfect game though as I've had a few problems with movement (not webslinging, that's a breeze) and the graphics can be almost ugly at times, but the gameplay and simply the entire concept of the game more than makes up for the faults.

Over time I'm sure I'll get very bored of the side missions that we have here. You just do the same type of things over and over and over again. Sure, you can just fly around the city all you want for as long as you want, but you MUST play these side missions at times in order to progress through the game. So far it hasn't been that much of a problem, but just mark my words...over time, you will all get bored of those side missions. I'm three hours in, and I've already done this and that about as much as I'd like to, heh.

After three hours of play, I'd give it a 9.0 so far.
Old 06-29-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am definitely picking this one up now
Old 06-30-04, 09:31 AM

I payed some last night. I really like it. Yes, it doesn't look too good, but the city looks great, so I'll have to forgive the PS1-level NPCs and their non-moving mouths. How MJ can look that bad during prerendered cut-scenes is beyond me though. The web slinging system is so much better, though I'm still getting the hang of it (pardon the pun). Shooting two webs at once and swinging around corners at high speed is pretty thrilling. I think IGN is unduely harsh on the voice acting. As everyone said, Bruce Campbell rules, it's cool they brought him back "at great expense" Toby Maguire and Kirsten Dunst may not be thrilled to bevoicing a game, but they're OK; certianly not nearly bad enough to be called "horrific".
And what's with those save times? Doesn't the Xbox have a hard drive? It takes the game like 30 sec just to find the game saves in the drive. That is a weird thing, indeed.
Old 06-30-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great game. Love it.

I like how the web slinging is more realistic and you have to stick the webs to buildings. I had no problem with it at all. I think you can turn it off any way (easy webslinging mode).
Old 06-30-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The graphics are pretty good, but nothing compared to this:

Old 07-01-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Randy Miller III

Old 07-01-04, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Randy Miller III

omg, is that the pc version?

Oh no wait it can't be the new pc version... this one looks better than the new pc version
Old 07-01-04, 04:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by glassdragon
omg, is that the pc version?

Oh no wait it can't be the new pc version... this one looks better than the new pc version

Sounds like someone got burned.

So it sounds like the rundown is:

Shitty graphics. Great mechanics. Redundant missions.

In the end, seems like I might want to rent it first to see how much I enjoy it before taking the plunge on buying it.
Old 07-01-04, 11:09 AM

I played, according to the game, for a little over 10 hours so far and I'm only have 35% done. I have just been swinging around the city busting criminals mostly, I think I'm on chapter 7 or 8 at the moment. While there is small problems, the game is a blast to play, if you like Spider-man anyhoo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.