Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playstation controller to PC

Old 05-06-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Playstation controller to PC

Anyone ever get an item like the one belown that connects a Playstation controller to a PC. If so, does it work well or should I just get a PC controler. Also, does it work pretty good with MAME?

http://www.jandaman.com/thestore/prods/psxusb5.html
Old 05-06-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got one (forgot which brand) but it seems to lockup up certain games/applications, works on others. I am considering just getting an Xbox -> USB for PC.
Old 05-06-04, 03:35 PM
Banned

I got the JoyBox3. I read only good things about JoyBox in general and it supports Vibration. Works great.
Old 05-06-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got one for the xbox controller on PC and it didn't work with the one game I wanted to use it for.
Old 05-06-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
I got one for the xbox controller on PC and it didn't work with the one game I wanted to use it for.
Bah. That's exactly what happened to me with the PS adapter. I usually do not play PC games but I got Ys VI and it was SO good. I needed a good pad as the Gravis was too loose. Well what I got freezes up with Ys VI and a couple of other emulators.

Maybe I shouldn't waste my money on an Xbox one either.
Old 05-06-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what the hell is Ys VI??

Logitec makes good PC controllers. for the OP - there are quite a few PC controllers that are the same layout as the PS2 controller... I have a Gravis one that's nearly identical to the original PS controller.
Old 05-06-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ys VI is a Japanese acton/RPG. Coming in US on PS2 this year I think.

I have 3 variations of the Gravis gamepad (the one that's identical to the PS1 controller). The D-pad on all of them is too loose. Whenever you are holding one direction it too easily regisiters the surrounding directions. I had a really good 6 button pad that I lost in the fire, I think it was called Pro Pad 6 or something.. but it was the only PC gamepad I played that had the tightness of a consoler controller, and I've tested a lot.
Old 05-06-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought an adapter from Radio Shack a while back for about $10. I think they have an updated version of the adapter available now. I never had any problems with any games not recognizing the controller.
Old 05-06-04, 08:22 PM

I know Janda and he's a cool guy, I remember when he first opened his site...Excellent service.

I got a PSX/PC adapter a while back from him and I use it with MAME all the time. A dual shock PS1 pad is awesome with games like Robotron and Assault. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Old 05-06-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought one on ebay for about $5.00 about a year ago and it works perfectly. It does work with mame, and other emulators I've tried it with. It basically just makes the computer think it's a regular 16 button joystick.
Old 05-07-04, 07:44 AM

just get the Logitech Dual Action controller for pc. It feels just like a PS controller, but the only thing is it doesn't rumble.