Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone pick up Onimusha 3?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-29-04, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've played for about an hour so far and I like what I've seen. The opening cut scene was bitchin'. I do kind of miss the prerendered backgrounds that made the first two look so nice. And it seems a little weird having Jean Reno in the game when it isn't even his voice.
Old 04-29-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I no longer buy NEW Release game but i may pickup whenever it hit $20 - $25 Price Range
Old 04-29-04, 11:33 PM

I hear ya. This is the first new console game I've bought in months, but I like the first 2 so much I figured I'd drop the $50 for it.
Old 04-30-04, 12:07 AM

I am about 7 hours into it and so far I definitely would rank it as the best of the 3 games. The new controls actually make it play more like the action game it has always inspired to be.

FYI-The parts with french dialogue are voiced by Jean Reno, but the english voice actor is a different person.
Old 04-30-04, 12:31 AM

Good to hear Not A N00b, from what I've seen thus far it seems I may end up liking this the best of the 3 as well.

And you know, when he was speaking in French, I thought it sounded like him. But I thought it was funny when a guy with no accent whatsoever started speaking in English.
Old 04-30-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved the first two and am very excited about this one. I haven't decided if I'll buy it new, or wait till I find a used copy for $35 or so.
Old 04-30-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rented it, but...

It's great for an Onimusha game. The controls are so much better it was a wonder how the old games were played. The counter attacks are still as vague and difficult since RE3, but they're largely unnecessary. Playing as Jean Reno is actually the best part of the game, and his techniques are much more entertaining than those of Samanosuke's. Still, the 3-year-old Devil May Cry is still better than this game.
Old 05-02-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
So, anyone hardcore enough to play it with the Katana? I saw that puppy at Fry's yesterday. It's enormous, heavy and expensive, but as a limited edition collectable, it's pretty cool. Still I can't really understand how one would use it as a controller.
Old 05-02-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
So, anyone hardcore enough to play it with the Katana? I saw that puppy at Fry's yesterday. It's enormous, heavy and expensive, but as a limited edition collectable, it's pretty cool. Still I can't really understand how one would use it as a controller.
Uhh actually the Katana is NOT heavy at all. Maybe in box it feels that way but its in no way heavy. We have one on display at work and its rather light.
Old 05-02-04, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by zero
Uhh actually the Katana is NOT heavy at all. Maybe in box it feels that way but its in no way heavy. We have one on display at work and its rather light.
Yes, I was referring to the box. That is one serious controller.
Can it be used for games other than Onimusha? It's called The Soul Controller--can you play SC2 with it?

Old 05-02-04, 02:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

How the hell you use that control anyways??
Old 05-02-04, 04:55 PM

It's wireless and motion-sensitive, but it has all the buttons as well.
Old 05-02-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Decker
Yes, I was referring to the box. That is one serious controller.
Can it be used for games other than Onimusha? It's called The Soul Controller--can you play SC2 with it?

Now that you mention it....I dont know. So today I will go in earlier and connect this bad boy to find out. I'll let you know later.

-zero
Old 05-03-04, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well I got to use the controller on Soul Calibur today, and it workslike any other controller. I didnt deing the sword around because Im not sure how that function works, but I can tell you that if you hold the sword as you would hold a baseball bat the analong and D pad are set so you can use them normally. Also the katana works on four AA batteries.
Old 05-03-04, 05:44 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Zero, your store got them in? Did you have any pre-orders for them?
Old 05-03-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
If Jean Reno speaks English (clearly BTW), what was the point of hiring a different actor to do the voice of Jaques when speaking in English?

BTW, am I the only one that found it hilarious when Jaques doesn't understand Samanosuke when he's speaking to him in English? This is considering that we're supposed to assume that Samanosuke is supposed to be speaking in Japanese.

EDIT: If anyone here lives in Puerto Rico, the EB in Vega Alta has two of those katana controllers. Neither was pre-ordered. Looks kind of uncomfortable to use, though.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-03-04 at 09:47 PM.