Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NBA Ballers - the real deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NBA Ballers - the real deal?

The reviews have been great for this game! So how does it compare to Street? Anyone care to share?
Old 04-22-04, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I almost smashed my TV last night playing this damn game. Trying to get past Clyde Drexler in the Rags to Riches mode is making me nuts.

Sound is good but I am grtting sick of all the rizeeal street beats. Evey game down the pike is now full of hip hop, even golf games. At least it fits a game like this but I am still sick of it.

Graphics are generally very good, although the textures are PS2 ish.

Difficulty could be a little more balanced as I think the AI feels cheap. I tear through the game up to Drexler and but now everytime I get close to JuiceHouse he blocks all attempts until I get a clock violation draining my House meter. Maddening.

Overall for me I think Street 2 is better but this is still worth owning. As long as I get past Drexler that is.
Old 04-23-04, 08:04 AM

I played around with the Xbox version of this one at Best Buy the other day for around 10 minutes. Of course, that means I really didn't know what all I was doing in terms of trick moves, etc., but overall I came away impressed.

Control seemed decent, the graphics were excellent, and the gameplay was fun. I was surprised at just how much it appears they ripped off of the NBA Street series (like how you can link several special moves together). Physics seemed pretty good as well. One thing I noticed was the loading time seemed a bit horrendous for an Xbox title, but overall, I felt it was one I'll pick up eventually when the price drops.
Old 04-23-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can agree with the slow load times - this can become annoying. And this is the PS2 version I'm playing with.

However, the actual game play is a blast. The game does have some difficult moments, but you'll find it to be a very enjoyable game, especially when playing with friends. I like it a lot more than Street - but I sucked at Street though.
Old 04-23-04, 01:58 PM

Street is the better game.

But Ballers if fun too. Loading is AWFUL.

I think Ballers can be damn cheap, especially in the early stages, but Street was a lot like that too.

I know that making combos out of moves is like ripping a Street off, but that's no big deal.

That's like saying a fighting game having combo's rips of Street Fighter. Steal what good innovations there are.

They also use a little of the Freestyle control from EA's live series.

Overall, it really feels like classic NBA Jam gameplay with a modern street sensitivity (this is good).

BTW, I read somewhere that XBOX loading times are actually worse than on the PS2.
Old 04-23-04, 03:03 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I have the xbox version and when you play in 720p the game freezes all of the time, but playing it in 480p, on the new halo xbox(much faster loading times) the loading times are less than 5 seconds. between games
Old 04-24-04, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Uhhh I dont wanna threadcrap here but this game is the real crap. I do appreciate the effort but the game smacks of despiration. Street Vol 2 is a MUCH better game. The AI seems to have real issues when it comes to you winning. There is room for improvement, I just dont see myself spending $$$ on this.
Old 04-24-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by zero
Uhhh I dont wanna threadcrap here but this game is the real crap. I do appreciate the effort but the game smacks of despiration. Street Vol 2 is a MUCH better game. The AI seems to have real issues when it comes to you winning. There is room for improvement, I just dont see myself spending $$$ on this.
Its not a threadcrap. I was looking for opinions on the game so all are welcomed.
Old 04-24-04, 10:01 PM

Well I have had it since launch day and was digging it fine, right until Clyde Drexler in Rags To Riches mode. Screw this maddening game it is now for sale. I play games to have fun, its not that is is hard it is just too cheap. Clyde cheats. Not fun anymore.

The game is not a rip off of Street though. In fact Street could learn a few things from Ballers. I like the way as you win parts of your crib it gives you design choices and make it into a playable level. However I will never see it because of Clyde Drexler!!!!!