Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

City of Heroes; Who's ready to be a Hero Pirate?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

City of Heroes; Who's ready to be a Hero Pirate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by flashburn
It has actually been a long time since I played Dark Age. I started back at launch, played a Druid on Lancelot.

Once I got to level 40 I noticed how much harder it was to find a decent exp'ing group, and started getting a little bored with it. I thoroughly enjoyed the Realm VS Realm stuff, and that is what kept me hooked as long as it did. A lot of the time I didn't have enough time to play for an hour or more, so I would solo RvR, and as a druid, it had its limits.

I eventually quit once I got to around 43-47; I was just getting tired of the game. I rejoined when the shrouded isles expansion came out, and played for another month or so, and quit again due to time constraints. I still don't feel I have enough time to justify playing an MMORPG right now, but hopefully that will change soon.
Well as it is now I get maybe 1-2 hours a night to play Dark Age but like you I've been playing since launch. Started out on Guinivere/Hibernia, then went to Kay/Albion, over to Gawaine/Hibernia where I made my first level 50, and now I'm presently on Merlin/Albion. If you ever decide to re-activate your account let me know, I've got plenty of coin and stuff I could get you set up easliy. I find Merlin to be active all the time...getting groups and such isn't a problem.

Anyways my apologies to the original poster for going off topic with all this talk of Dark Age.
Old 04-21-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by nickdawgy
Looks cool, but MMORPG's= no thx
ditto.
Old 04-22-04, 06:58 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I had a chance to play in the Beta for a couple hours last night and I'm impressed. It has a Freedom Force feel to it. I made it to level 4 in that time period. My character is a Natural and a Scrapper with claws.

The layout of the UI is very sleek, polished, and well laid out. It gives you tons of options without cluttering up the screen.

Find a couple good teammates and it takes it to the next level. You have to get strategic in taking out EI that's several levels ahead of you. A combination of player classes works much better than several of the same.

Overall, I had tons of fun last night just exploring the city and fighting muggers. It's amazing how dynamic the city seems. I'm going to try and reach level 6 tonight before they shut down the servers. I'd like to check out the power pool features.
Old 04-22-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-23-04, 05:23 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

That would be awesome, if true. I will probably try this one out, one way or another.
City of Villians was announced today:

http://www.plaync.com/about/press_release_042304.html

Also, I read on the forums that it will be optional pvp, not forced.
Old 04-23-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flay
City of Villians was announced today:

http://www.plaync.com/about/press_release_042304.html

Also, I read on the forums that it will be optional pvp, not forced.
Great! Looking forward to this even more now.
Old 04-26-04, 08:34 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Well, I got in on the 3 day head start too, so I started the full version yesterday. This game rocks! My new character is a Natural Blaster. I'm back up to level 7 and the new powers are getting cooler and cooler.

I picked combat jump for my power pool this time. It doubles the size of your jump, plus a little more with enhancements. I can't wait for level 14 so I can get Super Jump. You can jump over buildings at that point which will allow me to cross the city much faster.

The enviroments are ultra cool. I zone hopped for a while yesterday just checking out the different surroundings. 1 section is mostly water and you have to swim from island to island. Another section is made up of giant highways several hundred feet off the ground and slums down below with some major enemies. You don't want to fall off there.

I haven't joined a Super Group yet because it's just as fun to solo. Although, I'd like to check out some of the team based missions eventually.

For those who are just starting, Atlus Park is a good place to begin. Most parts of Galaxy City is a little tough for most lvl 2-4 players.

If anyone else from DVDTalk is playing, my character's name is 'Capt. Vengence' and I play on the 'Freedom' server. Anyway, highly reccomended for people who like action games.
Old 04-26-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I got in on the 3 day head start too, so I started the full version yesterday. This game rocks! My new character is a Natural Blaster. I'm back up to level 7 and the new powers are getting cooler and cooler.

I picked combat jump for my power pool this time. It doubles the size of your jump, plus a little more with enhancements. I can't wait for level 14 so I can get Super Jump. You can jump over buildings at that point which will allow me to cross the city much faster.

The enviroments are ultra cool. I zone hopped for a while yesterday just checking out the different surroundings. 1 section is mostly water and you have to swim from island to island. Another section is made up of giant highways several hundred feet off the ground and slums down below with some major enemies. You don't want to fall off there.

I haven't joined a Super Group yet because it's just as fun to solo. Although, I'd like to check out some of the team based missions eventually.

For those who are just starting, Atlus Park is a good place to begin. Most parts of Galaxy City is a little tough for most lvl 2-4 players.

If anyone else from DVDTalk is playing, my character's name is 'Capt. Vengence' and I play on the 'Freedom' server. Anyway, highly reccomended for people who like action games.
That sounds really cool. What is this 3 day head start you are talking about?

I think I might have to pick this up soon, even if I don't have the time to play it.
Old 04-26-04, 11:40 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

That sounds really cool. What is this 3 day head start you are talking about?

I think I might have to pick this up soon, even if I don't have the time to play it.
If you preordered, you got to start playing 3 days before the release date, the 28th. You also had the ability to reserve a name last week and a "prestige" superpower came with the preorder, a unique version of the sprint ability.

IMO, it's a smart move by Cryptic because it gradually brings players into the game instead of everyone trying to access the servers on the same day.

Last edited by Flay; 04-26-04 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-26-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So is the actual game software free? I mean you have to pay $15 a month to play this, right? That's $180 a year. To play a game.
Old 04-26-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
So is the actual game software free? I mean you have to pay $15 a month to play this, right? That's $180 a year. To play a game.
No, you still have to buy the game.
Old 04-26-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
If anything you actually save money with these games. Your life and your hobbies that you spend money on will be sucked away, leaving only your MMORPG addiction. The money is nothing compared to the time you will lose.

Looking forward to playing once they add the City of Villains PVP.
Old 04-26-04, 01:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by msdmoney
If anything you actually save money with these games. Your life and your hobbies that you spend money on will be sucked away, leaving only your MMORPG addiction. The money is nothing compared to the time you will lose.
That's the truth, Ruth! It's pretty scary when you think about it.
Old 04-26-04, 01:37 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

On the topic of monthly fees, Cryptic isn't charging for the first 30 days. That's pretty standard with new MMORPG's.

Do I think it's worth $15 a month in it's current state? Without a Doubt. Will I be playing a year from now? Probably not, but I will rejoin for a good expansion pack.
Old 04-28-04, 10:35 AM

It's out today! I'm worried that the name I want to use will be taken before I can get out of work, buy it, and get home...
Old 04-28-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
On the topic of monthly fees, Cryptic isn't charging for the first 30 days. That's pretty standard with new MMORPG's.

Do I think it's worth $15 a month in it's current state? Without a Doubt. Will I be playing a year from now? Probably not, but I will rejoin for a good expansion pack.
Supposedly City of Villains, the first expnasion, will be released 4th Qtr. of this year and will introduce PvP.

As far as the $15 monthly fee, I don't mind paying one either as long as the game is good and has enough content to keep me interested.
Old 04-28-04, 10:15 PM

Well, I'm really considering getting this...how is it? I've never played a MMORPG before, and I think this one might just get me into it. I've always wanted to try it, and I have some time this summer, so I thought maybe I'd go for it. For those of you who have played it...is the game fun? What I mean is, if you take out the interaction with a lot of other people, is there still a decent game here? I loved freedom force, and I love RPGs, so I am hoping I will love this.
Old 04-29-04, 06:30 AM

Yes it's fun. I got it last night and only had time to play it for an hour or so, but it's great, even without interacting with other people. (But isn't that part of the point?) The costume possibilities are nearly endless, but the power list isn't. (No wall-crawling?) There's a great tutorial, and after that you're off and running. You can seek out missions, or you can just run around the city GTA style, stopping random crimes. Thumbs up.
Old 04-29-04, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I am going to wait a few weeks to see if people get bored with the game. I know that happens to quite a few MMO's after the 'new' period expires.
Old 04-29-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really liking it. I've been playing for about 3 weeks now and I haven't got bored with it yet. Granted, all there really is to do is fight stuff. There isn't any crafting or other skills to do, but it's still strangely addicting. I've got my dark/dark defender up to level 12. I remade my oompa loompa character from beta, but haven't played him yet. I'm sure there will be new powers added later and I've heard they are going to raise the lvl cap from 40 to 50 later. I haven't played any higher than lvl 12 so I don't how the high level content is.
Old 04-29-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

some people in my roleplaying group have been playing since the beta, and they enjoyed it for a while, but are pretty bummed out since they seem to be the only ones who stay in character
Old 05-01-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So how is CoH going? I am thinking about picking it up tomorrow if it is on sale any where, or doing the 'instant purchase' thing from plaync.com.
Old 05-01-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heres some cool images of characters people made..

http://64.142.65.224/~chris/ss/thebride3.gif
http://www.scudmuffin.com/images/coh...eta_gordon.jpg
http://confusion.divide-by-0.com/con...llboy_pose.jpg
http://viscous.com/coh/norrinradd/24.html
http://home.mchsi.com/~accualt/screenshot_0267.jpg
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/cityo....html?page=101
Old 05-02-04, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm on the Freedom server as Dark Ranger, if anyone's interested in hooking up and killing some bad guys...
Old 05-02-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I broke down last night and bought it. I am on the Liberty server, name FlasHBurN. I'll report back later about what I think about the game, so far I like it a lot!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.