Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Fight Night 2004... rental or purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fight Night 2004... rental or purchase?

Hmm, a boxing game. Anyone else think it will get old fast? Should this be a rental or a purchase? I love boxing, but am always leary when it's on a video game. Anyone here played the game here who can make any comments aobut it?

Last edited by NaturalMystic79; 04-06-04 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-06-04, 04:27 PM

Got my copy and only played a few multi player fights, but in general I think it's probably better as a rental if your playing by yourself, buy if you have other people to play against.
Old 04-06-04, 09:40 PM

So far I suck! I have lost 6 straight in my career. Maybe I should have just rented. Graphics are good but jaggy, sound is pretty weak, fighting seems deep and fun but I stink.
Old 04-07-04, 09:05 AM

I'm having the same problem - the controls take a lot of getting used to, and I just stink, even on the easy setting. I'm 0 and 5 in my career! The heavy bag training mode is just impossible, and you need to be good at to build up your fighter's strength. I want to like it, the graphics are great, and the knockdowns are very cool, but sadly so far it's just me being knocked down.
Old 04-07-04, 10:53 AM

Well I am getting better. If it says anything about the game, I kept playing even while getting pummeled. "Wonderboy" is now 6-10 and climbing the ranks fast. It may sound obvious but do not go toe to toe with the pc. Stick and move and not just weave, but back up and advance with jabs followed up with crosses. When you get close to a knock out, dont spaz out trying to hit them just stick and move.
Heavy bag is a bugger, I think I need to get my speed up more so I can hit it with more rhythm. Right now I am better off auto training that one and getting the 4 points.

Works for me anyway and game is getting more fun.

p.s. Fry's put it on sale for $40
Old 04-07-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Control scheme was taken from Victorious Boxers: Ippo's Road to Victory, so if you played that game and like it, you'll probably like Fight Night, too.
Old 04-07-04, 03:17 PM

If you dont like the control scheme, you can change it back to using the face buttons which works a lot better.
Old 04-08-04, 08:30 AM

Control scheme was taken from Victorious Boxers: Ippo's Road to Victory, so if you played that game and like it, you'll probably like Fight Night, too.

thats good to know as victorious boxers is still the best boxing i've played, i'll wait till more reviews are in before i decide to buy or not.
Old 04-08-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i suck big time.........the controls are hard and i always try to block but nothing........ the knockdowns are cool but its always me....
Old 04-08-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by psxfan2
thats good to know as victorious boxers is still the best boxing i've played, i'll wait till more reviews are in before i decide to buy or not.
If I remember correctly, EGM gave it a silver award in the last issue. Each reviewer gave it a glowing review.

I haven't played a boxing game since Mike Tyson's Punch Out! but this one seems like a worthy purchase.
Old 04-09-04, 01:28 AM

This is the best boxing sim ever. Quite possible one of the best sports game ever. Just look at the replies above tells you the learning curve is very steep. The fightin engine is gorgeous and if you get it for PS2 you can play on-line and you have all the replay value you need. Don't rent this game go out and put 50 down on it it's worth ever penny.

The best thing to do to the people struggle is ues a different control scheme. The Total Punch Control scheme which is the first configuration is for expert players only. I use Configuration 5 myself, but use whatever fits your taste.

*knocks Evander out with Roy Jones Jr.*
Old 04-09-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a problem with this game (XBox version)....

I suck at getting up from a knockout! So I lose most of my fights even though I'm ahead on the scorecard and have knocked my opponent down at least 2 times. I can't line up the friggin' blurry referee.
Old 04-09-04, 10:55 AM

To line up the referee look at the EA logo on his breast pocket, lining that up is a lot easier than trying to do his face or body.

Also I am now using "control 6" for my layout and it maps the movement better as well as putting jabs and hooks on buttons. Makes ring movement more natural for me as well as making the "heavy bag" training much easier. All punches are still mapped to the R stick as well so you can work combos and uppercuts just fine.

Do not mess with Wonderboy!
Old 04-09-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ginsu
To line up the referee look at the EA logo on his breast pocket, lining that up is a lot easier than trying to do his face or body.
Thanks, I'll give that a try!
Old 04-09-04, 12:52 PM

I'm getting better, and I agree with Ginsu that control config 6 is the way to go. You can still use TPC, or whatever they call it, and I now break 30,000 on the heavy bag, whereas before I couldn't do it at all. Ring movement make much more sense this way too. "Nightmare" is 9 and 1 and on his way.
Old 04-09-04, 03:23 PM
tpc

If you''re having trouble with this game (and the controls ARE overwhelming at first) just keep at it...

I'd gotten demolished in seven straight fights, and then, this morning, it just clicked, and I started racking up wins.

To echo the sentiments of others, it IS an excellent game... but it's hard. There's a great sense of accomplishment once you start KO'ing people too.
Old 04-11-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Much better than knock out kings. I'm 33-0 with 27 knockouts.
Currently ranked 12. It's finally getting a little hard. If you played
a lot of knockout kings, this one's pretty simple (but much better).

There's no ref's in my game. do they appear when your knocked
down? Haven't been on the canvas yet, but have been close a
couple of times.

Jason
Old 04-12-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jasonbird
Much better than knock out kings. I'm 33-0 with 27 knockouts.
Currently ranked 12. It's finally getting a little hard. If you played
a lot of knockout kings, this one's pretty simple (but much better).

There's no ref's in my game. do they appear when your knocked
down? Haven't been on the canvas yet, but have been close a
couple of times.

Jason
The ref is how you get back up. He appears very blurry and you have to line up the 3 images of him to get back up. I'm getting better at the game, but if I get knocked down generally I'm screwed b/c I have so much trouble getting up.