Whoa! Psychonauts dropped by Microsoft!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa! Psychonauts dropped by Microsoft!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03...s_6092548.html

Psychonauts publishing deal goes sour

Microsoft ends its agreement to distribute Double Fine's Xbox platformer.

Microsoft lightened its publishing load today, when it released the following statement. “Microsoft Game Studios has made the decision to end its publishing agreement with [developer] Double Fine for the upcoming Xbox game Psychonauts."

Microsoft gave no rationale for its decision, but did say it still "believes in the vision of the title and would like to see the game on Xbox." Microsoft also added it was "supporting" Double Fine's search for a new publisher, but did not go into details.

The news came as a shock to those following Psychonauts, which looked like it had the makings of a cult hit (and has no relation to the Mo' Wax remix album of the same name). Unveiled at E3 2002, the platformer follows a young psi-spy wannabe who earns merit badges for invading people's minds. The game's 3D visuals are as twisted as the subject, feeling like Jak & Daxter crossed with The Nightmare Before Christmas. The non-clairvoyant can read GameSpot's preview for more information on the game.

Psychonauts was designed by LucasArts alumnus and Double Fine chief Tim Schafer, creator of highly acclaimed adventure games such as Grim Fandango and Full Throttle. Unfortunately, attempts to contact Schafer had met with no results as of press time.

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
Posted: 03/30/04 04:09 PM
Wow - maybe Microsoft is trying to nip another over-hyped title in the bud before it's released?

Jeremy
Old 03-30-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Perhaps they are starting to respond to investor pressure to actually make a buck from the xbox in the near term.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 03-30-04 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-30-04, 06:39 PM

According to 'oxygen', the MS guy at the Gaming Age forums, the game was way overbudget and clearly under-fun.

http://ga.gamesquad.net/showthread.p...0&pagenumber=3
Old 03-30-04, 06:40 PM
Banned

They drop Psychonauts.
They drop the next game in the Abe's Odessey series.
They drop all sports games for this year.

What games are they making?
Old 03-30-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They also cancelled Mythica, the MMORPG they were working on for PC.
Old 03-30-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

psychonauts... reminds me of a mini daikatana.

question is, should they have foreseen it coming?
Old 03-30-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
They drop Psychonauts.
They drop the next game in the Abe's Odessey series.
They drop all sports games for this year.

What games are they making?
Wait - they dropped the next Abe's Odessey game as well?

Jeremy
Old 03-30-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well - there wasn't a game scheduled in the Abe franchise really as the developer was supposed to be working on another title... that was my understanding anyway...

I think the thread title is a tad misleading as Psychonauts will most likely find another publisher and still come out for Xbox. I'm gonna go ahead and cross my fingers just in case.

This might just be backlash for the poor sales of adventure platformers recently like BGandE and Prince of Persia. At least it's not getting squashed.
Old 03-30-04, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jrutz
Wait - they dropped the next Abe's Odessey game as well?

Jeremy
http://microsoft.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/5949/
Old 03-30-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^as I said - not related to the oddworld franchise. Had it been an actual oddworld game, MS probably would've stayed on as publisher.
Old 03-30-04, 07:28 PM
Banned

The game was called "Steef's Oddysee" and while it may not building the same sort of game, it was going to incorporate some old story lines. Those of you who saw the special on TLC or whatever when they were talking about Crimson Skies will remember them also discussing this game. Microsoft had been a major part of this game until now.

I was actually looking forward to this game. I hope it sees light.
Old 03-30-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a good read in the last issue of Polygon. They talked about the Oddworld series, and this latest game was a "side-story" to the main storyline. It's still an Oddworld game, though. That's all they do!

Jeremy
Old 03-30-04, 08:33 PM

Oddworld was planned from the beginning as a series of five games. So far they've made 3 games but I could be wrong.
Old 03-30-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joshd2012
Those of you who saw the special on TLC or whatever when they were talking about Crimson Skies will remember them also discussing this game.
I did see that - I got the impression from that that this new game was to be a total departure from the oddworld series for the developer and that it wasn't related. MS didn't look too happy about it back then either. Maybe I misunderstood or else MS said they could make it only if they attach it to the existing franchise in some way. I'll play anything they put out though oddworld or not because they make good games.
Old 03-30-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Darn, another $14.99 game I won't be getting anytime soon from Bestbuy!
Old 03-30-04, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Outlaw
Oddworld was planned from the beginning as a series of five games. So far they've made 3 games but I could be wrong.
The second PS1 game, Abe's Exoddus, is actually a side story and doesn't count toward the five-game total. Not that I'm keeping track.
Old 03-30-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Originally posted by illennium
The second PS1 game, Abe's Exoddus, is actually a side story and doesn't count toward the five-game total. Not that I'm keeping track.
You only keep getting to make sequels if your originals are at least somewhat successful. Ask the producers of "Remo Williams : The Adventure Begins".
Old 03-31-04, 12:03 AM

Seems to me that there was a management change and the new guy is cleaning house in an effort to show who's in charge and to get rid of pet projects (pet projects meaning anything that wasn't okayed by him)

But that's just speculation.

D
Old 03-31-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
This might just be backlash for the poor sales of adventure platformers recently like BGandE and Prince of Persia.
Both of which are two of my favorite games this generation, we need more like those darnit.
Old 03-31-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Here's what I don't get (and maybe I just don't understand VG marketing):
Where's the risk for MS in publishing the game? It's been made, right? I can assume they don't want their name on another disappointing poor seller (like Ghoulies or Vince, I suppose), but besides that, what could be the harm in publishing the game? By letting it go, it sends the message that either (a) the game stinks or (b) MS is too skittish as a publisher -- and neither message is that great. Sales of the game are surely going to take a hit, and that can only be bad for MS. I just don't get it.
Old 03-31-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Derrich
Seems to me that there was a management change and the new guy is cleaning house in an effort to show who's in charge and to get rid of pet projects (pet projects meaning anything that wasn't okayed by him)

But that's just speculation.

D
That's probably true to some degree.

Originally posted by Decker
Where's the risk for MS in publishing the game? It's been made, right? I can assume they don't want their name on another disappointing poor seller (like Ghoulies or Vince, I suppose), but besides that, what could be the harm in publishing the game? By letting it go, it sends the message that either (a) the game stinks or (b) MS is too skittish as a publisher -- and neither message is that great. Sales of the game are surely going to take a hit, and that can only be bad for MS. I just don't get it.
Well, it's more costly for MS to publish the game themselves than to pawn it off on other publishers and it sounds like they're merely streamlining down to games that they feel are more likely to be hits and the platform adventure genre is kinda in a slump right now apparently given the poor sales of outstanding games like Prince and Beyond Good and Evil and the games from Rare. Not really any indication to me that these are poor games.

Also - another possibility is that MS is pooling financial resources in order to make a move on a key developer or two at E3 this year. They've obviously adopted a new strategy. And it seems to me that the games they are laying off are well known and fairly close to completion that they shouldn't have any trouble finding another publisher... had they cut em loose sooner, they may have soured the relationship with the developers, but the way they did it there was probably some behind the scenes meetings that left each side parting on good terms. This is all speculation of course.
Old 03-31-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Going the way of Sega?
Old 03-31-04, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by mmconhea
Going the way of Sega?
Doubtful. MS is a money machine. They can afford to bleed XBox losses for years and not feel it. They've never been great at game development and if you compare it to past experiences, the XBox is a huge hit for them in terms of hardware and mindshare. They've set themselves up so that Xbox Next will be able to compete toe to toe with the PS3.

Sega on the otherhand, was grasping at straws every since the SegaCD failed. Out of 6 consoles, only 1 could be considered an outright success and that was the Genesis. They realized it was time to cut bait and get back to doing what they do best.

D
Old 03-31-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Derrich
Doubtful. MS is a money machine. They can afford to bleed XBox losses for years and not feel it. They've never been great at game development and if you compare it to past experiences, the XBox is a huge hit for them in terms of hardware and mindshare. They've set themselves up so that Xbox Next will be able to compete toe to toe with the PS3.

Sega on the otherhand, was grasping at straws every since the SegaCD failed. Out of 6 consoles, only 1 could be considered an outright success and that was the Genesis. They realized it was time to cut bait and get back to doing what they do best.

D
It was a joke....
Old 03-31-04, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Decker
Where's the risk for MS in publishing the game? It's been made, right?
No. They've apparently been paying all of Double Fine's expenses for four years to have it made, and it's still not done.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.