Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

More RE 4 news

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
More RE 4 news

I was looking around and came accross this courtesy of http://www.bio-hq.com/ and IGN.

Here ya go
------------------------------------------------------

From Bio-HQ

Today IGN has posted more details on RE4 this time confirming the infamous chemical weapons corperation Umbrella will indeed be in the game.According to Capcom's official Resident Evil 4 press release, the title takes place in 2004 some six years after the events that transpired in Resident Evil 2. The government has destroyed the Umbrella Corporation, which has been behind just about every plot and disgusting bio-chemical mutation in the survival horror series. Now-US agent Leon Kennedy has been dispatched to Europe to save the President's daughter from "crazed organizations."

But is Umbrella gone for good? We don't think so. Asked whether the infamous corporation played some role in Resident Evil 4, Kobayashi responded: "Yes, it will play some role in Resident Evil 4." Pushed on the issue, though, the Capcom producer remained quiet. "Come on, you know I can't let that cat out of the bag! Play the game and all will be revealed," he said.

Our guess is that the Umbrella Corporation is directly involved with the unexplainable state of the villagers at the beginning of the title. The townspeople seem to roam about the environment in an angry and dazed state. Just how deep the rabbit hole goes, though, we don't know.

The answers to some other interesting questions where also revealed read below for more deatils.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does Resident Evil 4 feature dark and scary environments like the kind seen in the E3 2003 demo?
The demo of Resident Evil 4 we played took place in broad daylight and seemed very action focused. Leon explored the village and the townspeople came after him in endless groups, all armed with sharp pitchforks and axes, with chainsaws and knives, and mumbling incoherently. The demo also showed night sequences in which lighting flashes danced in the background and atmospherically illuminated the environments for split seconds at a time. What we didn't see, though, were traditional Resident Evil areas such as eerie hallways that might house hidden creatures and classic scares.

The E3 2003 demo is gone, but the classic shock moments have not been forgotten. "Yes, there will still be some classic scares in Resident Evil 4, although the game does focus more on action than any previous installments," admitted Kobayashi.

In the old E3 2003 RE4 footage, Capcom hinted that Leon might be infected with a virus. Does this still hold true with the re-made game?
"No it does not," said Kobayashi. "That game's story has changed quite a lot." In fact, the two stories are completely different from one another.

Are the villagers in the Resident Evil 4 infected with the T-Virus?
There is definitely something wrong with these guys. Whenever the church bell chimes, they drop their weapons stupidly and stumble back toward the structure. Capcom has said in the past that these creepy beings are neither human nor zombie. But is Umbrella's deadly virus to blame? According to Kobayashi, the answer is no. "I can't be too specific, but I can say this: the villagers aren't infected with the T-Virus," the producer explained.

Are there ever zombies in the game?
"No zombies," said Kobayashi. This revelation comes as a first for the franchise. Whatever is going on in the village where Kennedy finds himself stranded, it doesn't involve the undead. That noted, the villagers themselves are abnormal in many ways and video snippets of scenes from the game showcase battles with water creatures and ogre-like characters.

Who is the other playable character in the game?
Resident Evil 4 features another playable character in addition to Leon S. Kennedy, but who? Is it a character from Resident Evil 0, perhaps? Or one of the classics? Neither, according to Kobayashi. "[It's] a new character that you haven't seen before," he admitted. It is not yet known if it will be possible to switch between the two characters at random as you could in Resident Evil 0 or if each character plays through specific chapters in the game.

Does the game take place entirely outside or are there some big structures to explore, too?
In the single level demo we played Leon explored around a village and the majority of the scenario took place in outside environments. But that doesn't mean there aren't some traditional inside locations in store for you. "Yes, of course there are some big structures you can go into," said Kobayashi. "A lot of people seem to be under the impression that you can't enter the different houses in the village, but you can enter almost every one of them as well."

Are there environmental puzzles in the game?
Capcom isn't offering up specifics, but the puzzles are definitely back. "Yep, this really wouldn't be a Resident Evil game without the puzzles. They are in there," said Kobayashi.

Does Resident Evil 4 feature FMV cut-scenes as many previous installments of the series have?
"All of Resident Evil 4's cut-scenes use the game's real-time graphics engine," said Kobayashi. Good news, as far as we're concerned because the graphics engine is very capable and this means that the action will never break for story inserts. Also, there's the possibility that Resident Evil 4 may appear on a single GameCube Optical Disc now that it's running in full 3D and dropped the storage-sucking pre-rendered video sequences.

How long is the game?
"It's on par with other action games at about 10-15 hours to clear," said Kobayashi. "The length is definitely going to depend on how skilled the person playing it is at these type of games, especially in this genre."

looking so far eh?

edited to add-http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio4/

Last edited by zero; 03-25-04 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-25-04, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im glad that the RE series is finally trying to do something new and evolve a bit, but as of now, im not to excited about where they are heading. I mean ive seen some screens and the game looks absolutely beautiful and the action seems to be promising, but as a big time RE fan, i dont feel that warm feeling. So far, im not really feeling the whole saving the President's daughter plot. While the villagers look menacing i just cant shy away from the fact that theres no zombies. So far, their saying no zombies but they have other creatures like water monsters and ogre like creatures, well that doesnt excite me much either. But as a big RE fan, im ofcourse going to give the game a chance and see what is going to be done with the franchise.
But in reality, i think Resident Evil Outbreak is where its at. To me this game is overshadowing any RE4 news im hearing at the moment. Its online, its got 8 playable characters, different storylines, unlockable items and NPCs, characters that assist you thoughout the adventure and most of all its got Zombies! Not only that, but you can even turn into one
Old 03-25-04, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by thegame370
Im glad that the RE series is finally trying to do something new and evolve a bit, but as of now, im not to excited about where they are heading. I mean ive seen some screens and the game looks absolutely beautiful and the action seems to be promising, but as a big time RE fan, i dont feel that warm feeling. So far, im not really feeling the whole saving the President's daughter plot. While the villagers look menacing i just cant shy away from the fact that theres no zombies. So far, their saying no zombies but they have other creatures like water monsters and ogre like creatures, well that doesnt excite me much either. But as a big RE fan, im ofcourse going to give the game a chance and see what is going to be done with the franchise.
But in reality, i think Resident Evil Outbreak is where its at. To me this game is overshadowing any RE4 news im hearing at the moment. Its online, its got 8 playable characters, different storylines, unlockable items and NPCs, characters that assist you thoughout the adventure and most of all its got Zombies! Not only that, but you can even turn into one
While I do agree with you on many of your points I have a feeling RE 4 will have a lot of suprises for those of us who have stuck by the series. I do admit saving the presidents daughter is a stretch but keep in mind they (the us government) may have sent Leon there to die. This still doesnt explain what happened to Sherry Birkin, and for all we know Leon himself may have turned her over while Claire was away. Yeah I'm really reaching and maybe that plot line will never get cleared up, just the same Im VERY excited about RE 4.
Old 03-25-04, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Are there environmental puzzles in the game?
Capcom isn't offering up specifics, but the puzzles are definitely back. "Yep, this really wouldn't be a Resident Evil game without the zombies. They are in there," said Kobayashi.
*fixed

no zombies, huh... doesn't really sound like a resident evil game to me then. I'm not really complaining I guess - I'm sure I'll want to play it, but this just sounds like another one of those times where they try something new with the series that they never try again. I bet zombies will be back if there's a RE5
Old 03-25-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Trigger
*fixed

no zombies, huh... doesn't really sound like a resident evil game to me then. I'm not really complaining I guess - I'm sure I'll want to play it, but this just sounds like another one of those times where they try something new with the series that they never try again. I bet zombies will be back if there's a RE5
From the quote it sounds like they are almost answering a different question.

"Yep, this really wouldn't be a Resident Evil game without the zombies. They are in there,"
Old 03-25-04, 09:20 AM
Suspended

for me, a medium RE fan, it wasn't about the zombies as much as the mood. That oppressive menacing fear that a least a couple of the games had... but I guess people just love zombies
Old 03-25-04, 11:12 AM

i'm going to concentrate on Outbreak before i start thinking about RE4...but i'm sure i'll buy it...
Old 03-25-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It sounds like they have really changed a lot of things. Screw zombies, these enranged villagers are even better.

I have seen the 35 second video leak that someone took with a camera (before the sites were told to take it down), there is A LOT of action in the game compared to previous ones in the series and its primarily controlled from the third person over the shoulder and first person (at least from super small video I saw). But there's also a part where it looks like older games in the series where its completely dark and moody except for a flashlight and some torches.

I'm drooling in anticipation for this game, it looks like they've made some big changes to bring the Resident Evil series forward. Graphics are incredible.

and if you don't think there'll be zombies in the game, think about the villagers. What are they doing? They're mad and have a thirst for brains and flesh, hmmm I wonder what they're going to become soon? Doesn't the T-Virus have effects like that?
Old 03-25-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The video camera leaked footage can still be seen over at GameCube Advanced. The game looks amazing even at this early stage.
Old 03-25-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
I can't pray enough that they finally change the HORRIBLE controls that have plauged every RE game so far. Dammit if I want to move to the left why can't I just press to the left like every other game?!
Old 03-25-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by noonan4224
I can't pray enough that they finally change the HORRIBLE controls that have plauged every RE game so far. Dammit if I want to move to the left why can't I just press to the left like every other game?!
The controls are the same. But now that the camera perspective has changed, when you press left you will now go left.
Old 03-25-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Okay. I should be able to deal with that. As long as I don't have spin my charater, then press up to move in a certain direction. That crap had me throwing my controller.
Old 03-30-04, 04:54 PM
Retired

Originally posted by flashburn
From the quote it sounds like they are almost answering a different question.

"Yep, this really wouldn't be a Resident Evil game without the zombies. They are in there,"
There's an interview in the new EGM where they clearly say there will be no Zombies in the game.

The other interesting thing is that there will be vehicles you can drive (only a boat is confirmed at the moment, but the guy says there are more) and you can swim.
Old 04-24-04, 10:57 PM

Controls

People on here were just complaining about the way the controls were always set up for the past Res. Evil Games.
How if you "push left you don't go left." I love those controls. Making you go the way you push the button to go, compared to the screen position. That is not Resident Evil's style. I hope they never change it.
Old 04-25-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
I don't know what the big deal is about not including zombies. Aren't crazed villagers basically the same thing? Is the the new PC way to say "zombies"?
Old 04-25-04, 10:22 PM

Yeah i think crazed villagers sounds pretty exciting. It is like the living form of the journal "Itchy Tasty." In its greatest form. Involving the youngest male surviver to the Resident Evil series.
Old 04-27-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sabrina29D
Yeah i think crazed villagers sounds pretty exciting. It is like the living form of the journal "Itchy Tasty." In its greatest form. Involving the youngest male surviver to the Resident Evil series.
uhhhhh you mean Leon right?
Old 04-27-04, 03:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Controls

Originally posted by Sabrina29D
People on here were just complaining about the way the controls were always set up for the past Res. Evil Games.
How if you "push left you don't go left." I love those controls. Making you go the way you push the button to go, compared to the screen position. That is not Resident Evil's style. I hope they never change it.
I agree. I love the controls because they are absolute. I found it maddening playing something like Clock Tower 3, when I'm heading right on one screen (holding right on the controller) and the camera switches angles. Well, I'm still holding right, now I'm going down on the screen. Fine, except if I release for a split second and hit that direction again, now I'm heading right again.

The one thing I wish they would fix on the esident Evil control setup is to add a quick left and right command. Just like the quick 180 of hitting down and run together, why couldn't we have a quick 90 degree turn by hitting run and either left or right? The need for this became apparent when playing Outbreak... I come through a door into the hall and I need to quickly turn left and run down the hall before attacked by the big bad. The slow pivot doesn't work in this case.

Last edited by DRG; 04-27-04 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 04:59 PM
Retired

Originally posted by thegame370

But in reality, i think Resident Evil Outbreak is where its at.
Outbreak pretty much got slammed in EGM, with reviews in the 5-6.0 range.

They said the online play sucks, since you only have 10 preset phrases you can use (no voice chat) which makes it tough to cooperate and cooperation is required to get anywhere.
Old 04-27-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gamerankings for Resident Evil Outbreak

Site Name / Link Article Date Rating Ratio
Games Chart 4/16/2004 93 out of 100 93.0%
Into Liquid Sky 4/8/2004 A- 90.0%
GamePro 6/1/2004 4.5 out of 5 90.0%
Next Level Gaming 4/15/2004 89 out of 100 89.0%
Games Radar 1/16/2004 86 out of 100 86.0%
PSM2 Magazine UK 2/1/2004 86 out of 100 86.0%
Games Master UK 2/1/2004 85 out of 100 85.0%
Gaming Media 1/12/2004 84 out of 100 84.0%
Gaming Target 4/23/2004 8.3 out of 10 83.0%
Game Zone 4/20/2004 8.3 out of 10 83.0%
Temerarious.net 4/21/2004 4 out of 5 80.0%
To The Game 4/9/2004 8 out of 10 80.0%
Yahoo! Games 4/1/2004 8 out of 10 80.0%
BonusStage 4/14/2004 7.8 out of 10 78.0%
IGN 3/27/2004 7.6 out of 10 76.0%
1UP 3/30/2004 7.5 out of 10 75.0%
Play Magazine 5/1/2004 B- 75.0%
Gaming Age 4/19/2004 B- 75.0%
Game Revolution 4/16/2004 B- 75.0%
Lawrence 4/9/2004 72 out of 100 72.0%
GameSpot 4/5/2004 7.2 out of 10 72.0%
Cincinnati Enquirer 4/22/2004 3.5 out of 5 70.0%
eToyChest 4/24/2004 70 out of 100 70.0%
Gamerz Edge 4/16/2004 7 out of 10 70.0%
Raw Gaming 4/4/2004 6.8 out of 10 68.0%
UGO 4/15/2004 C 65.0%
Christian Game Reviews 4/25/2004 64 out of 100 64.0%
Electronic Gaming Monthly 6/1/2004 6.33 out of 10 63.3%
PSX Nation 4/10/2004 6 out of 10 60.0%
Gamespy 3/30/2004 3 out of 5 60.0%
411 Mania 4/22/2004 5 out of 10 50.0%
XGR 4/16/2004 40 out of 100 40.0%
Old 04-27-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Did that say Christian game reviews?
Old 04-27-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Gamerankings for Resident Evil Outbreak

Site Name / Link Article Date Rating Ratio
Games Chart 4/16/2004 93 out of 100 93.0%
Into Liquid Sky 4/8/2004 A- 90.0%
GamePro 6/1/2004 4.5 out of 5 90.0%
Next Level Gaming 4/15/2004 89 out of 100 89.0%
Games Radar 1/16/2004 86 out of 100 86.0%
PSM2 Magazine UK 2/1/2004 86 out of 100 86.0%
Games Master UK 2/1/2004 85 out of 100 85.0%
Gaming Media 1/12/2004 84 out of 100 84.0%
Gaming Target 4/23/2004 8.3 out of 10 83.0%
Game Zone 4/20/2004 8.3 out of 10 83.0%
Temerarious.net 4/21/2004 4 out of 5 80.0%
To The Game 4/9/2004 8 out of 10 80.0%
Yahoo! Games 4/1/2004 8 out of 10 80.0%
BonusStage 4/14/2004 7.8 out of 10 78.0%
IGN 3/27/2004 7.6 out of 10 76.0%
1UP 3/30/2004 7.5 out of 10 75.0%
Play Magazine 5/1/2004 B- 75.0%
Gaming Age 4/19/2004 B- 75.0%
Game Revolution 4/16/2004 B- 75.0%
Lawrence 4/9/2004 72 out of 100 72.0%
GameSpot 4/5/2004 7.2 out of 10 72.0%
Cincinnati Enquirer 4/22/2004 3.5 out of 5 70.0%
eToyChest 4/24/2004 70 out of 100 70.0%
Gamerz Edge 4/16/2004 7 out of 10 70.0%
Raw Gaming 4/4/2004 6.8 out of 10 68.0%
UGO 4/15/2004 C 65.0%
Christian Game Reviews 4/25/2004 64 out of 100 64.0%
Electronic Gaming Monthly 6/1/2004 6.33 out of 10 63.3%
PSX Nation 4/10/2004 6 out of 10 60.0%
Gamespy 3/30/2004 3 out of 5 60.0%
411 Mania 4/22/2004 5 out of 10 50.0%
XGR 4/16/2004 40 out of 100 40.0%
I've never heard of most of these sources. But of the ones that I do know, the ONLY one I like is EGM. They're the only magazine targeted at a broad demographic and not just at indiscriminate pre-teens and the older-but-equally-tasteless Comic Book Guy types. Moreover, they're the most professionally edited gaming magazine around. I've worked professionally as a copyeditor, and to my eyes the writing and editing in GamePro, PSM, and other such publications is atrocious. I won't read a magazine that doesn't respect me enough to write in complete sentences and adhere to rules of grammar and composition.
Old 04-30-04, 03:28 PM

Re: Re: Controls

Originally posted by DRG
I agree. I love the controls because they are absolute. I found it maddening playing something like Clock Tower 3, when I'm heading right on one screen (holding right on the controller) and the camera switches angles. Well, I'm still holding right, now I'm going down on the screen. Fine, except if I release for a split second and hit that direction again, now I'm heading right again.

The one thing I wish they would fix on the esident Evil control setup is to add a quick left and right command. Just like the quick 180 of hitting down and run together, why couldn't we have a quick 90 degree turn by hitting run and either left or right? The need for this became apparent when playing Outbreak... I come through a door into the hall and I need to quickly turn left and run down the hall before attacked by the big bad. The slow pivot doesn't work in this case.
Yeah Clock Tower Three was a pain because of that. That is a good idea about the turns though. After playing some of the new Gamecube Resident Evils I would always try to do a quick 180 and get frustrated with no result. They just put it in the game just to tease us and never use it again...pains they are...

Now i die trying to do that very turn. They just like messing with us.
Old 04-30-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by illennium
I've never heard of most of these sources. But of the ones that I do know, the ONLY one I like is EGM. They're the only magazine targeted at a broad demographic and not just at indiscriminate pre-teens and the older-but-equally-tasteless Comic Book Guy types. Moreover, they're the most professionally edited gaming magazine around. I've worked professionally as a copyeditor, and to my eyes the writing and editing in GamePro, PSM, and other such publications is atrocious. I won't read a magazine that doesn't respect me enough to write in complete sentences and adhere to rules of grammar and composition.
I completely disagree with you
Old 04-30-04, 08:26 PM
Retired

I don't think EGM caters to a different crowd that most of the other mags (other than say Gamepro and Nintendo Power that are aiming at the younger demographic).

I just trust their reviews because they tell it like it is and and extremely harsh on games.

I'm a very harsh game critic myself (as I've lost some interest and something that costs $50 should be great, not just ok) so I tend to agree with their reviews more than any other magazine or website as they tend to be too lenient and give games much higher ratings than I would.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.