Reload this Page >

Any miniatures gamers?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Any miniatures gamers?

Old 03-23-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any miniatures gamers?

I've always been curious about minitarue gaming - things like Warhammer etc.

So, anyone on here who cares to discuss these types of games, how expensive to get into it they are, whether it is fun or super complicated?
Old 03-23-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 03-23-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
Old 03-23-04, 07:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think El Scorcho posts here from time to time.
Old 03-23-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Old 03-23-04, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've played MechWarrior occasionally that's about it.
Old 03-23-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I used to play a few years ago and I had a lot of fun. It's a great hobby, but it does have a strong geek factor. In my opinion, not as bad as playing Magic or D&D, though. Your basically playing with toy soldiers, not a great way to attract the women. I still have all my miniatures; I just don't know any people who game anymore. The games themselves aren't overly complicated to learn.

My advice is to find a friend who is into it. If you go to a game store to play strangers you'll find a lot of cool people, but you'll also encounter some weirdos and hyperenergetic kids. Some game shops do have beginners nights where you can play a game with some provided figures.

Avoid MageKnight and the likes. Pick a game where you actually paint and assemble the figures. That's where most of the joy comes from.

If you're really interested, go to a game store and pick up a few figurines and a beginners paint set and see if you like it. If you don't enjoy painting them, don't worry. Lots of people never get around to painting them. Some people just use spray paint.

As for buying miniatures, definetely try to buy most of yours used. Buying everything new is going to set you back a few hundred dollars. You can find some good deals on eBay. Some games don't require a large purchase of miniatures. Others, such as Warhammer Fantasy Battle, require a sizable investment.

Last edited by funkyryno; 03-23-04 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-23-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I would love to learn the "Heroclix" game.
Old 03-23-04, 10:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
I would love to learn the "Heroclix" game.
If you have a local GameKeeper store check it out. They are going out of business and have HUGE discounts on everything (or course that could also mean everything is already gone ).
Old 03-24-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I still have my elf warhammer army in an NES box in my garage, they're about 1/3 painted. Years back when i was into it, i would just get a bunch of the plastic figures since most of your army doesnt have to be unique. You will never paint all the plastic figures because nothing is more boring that painting dozens of the exact same figure. My band has a song about painting figures called 'painting guys.'
Old 03-24-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is expensive... warhammer is expensive. you get some decent figures w/ the boxed games, but if you want really specialized figures, better start pulling out the Visa card. painting takes too long... i live near the Compleat Strategist in King of Prussia and i think they have some sessions going on.

frankly, some of the guys that play are scary-geeky.
Old 03-24-04, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody, know any good sites that list all the different figures etc. for easy lookup... I got a ton of the old lead ones(when they were lead, and wanting to unload them on ebay, but no idea what is what anymore. ha)

Mostly I have a bunch of warhammer stuff, and then a bunch of space hulk stuff (space maringes, genestealers etc)
Old 03-24-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by funkyryno
I used to play a few years ago and I had a lot of fun. It's a great hobby, but it does have a strong geek factor. In my opinion, not as bad as playing Magic or D&D, though. Your basically playing with toy soldiers, not a great way to attract the women. I still have all my miniatures; I just don't know any people who game anymore. The games themselves aren't overly complicated to learn.

My advice is to find a friend who is into it. If you go to a game store to play strangers you'll find a lot of cool people, but you'll also encounter some weirdos and hyperenergetic kids. Some game shops do have beginners nights where you can play a game with some provided figures.

Avoid MageKnight and the likes. Pick a game where you actually paint and assemble the figures. That's where most of the joy comes from.

If you're really interested, go to a game store and pick up a few figurines and a beginners paint set and see if you like it. If you don't enjoy painting them, don't worry. Lots of people never get around to painting them. Some people just use spray paint.

As for buying miniatures, definetely try to buy most of yours used. Buying everything new is going to set you back a few hundred dollars. You can find some good deals on eBay. Some games don't require a large purchase of miniatures. Others, such as Warhammer Fantasy Battle, require a sizable investment.
Well the geek factor isn't too huge of a deal just because my wife realizes what a geek i am and is ok with it. So attracting women isn't an issue I actual did paint miniatures for a little while and enjoyed it as a hobby but i just bought ones i liked the sculpt of and never did anything with them post-painting other than sit them on a shelf.

A problem for me though is that i live in a small town and the lone comic book shop doesn't have gaming in it so i would pretty much just be putting out flyers looking for gamers of a particualr game i'm interested in.

As for the Wizkids games and such, Heroclix was kind of fun but really simple. I kind of wanted to play a game where terrain matters and you have things like sieging a castle/space fortress or something. As for used - i need to find someone who is just wanting to unload an army to get it out of their house because i don't want to pay a lot in case i don't enjoy it. Hrm, i need to find a geek yard sale
Old 03-24-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DaveNinja
I still have my elf warhammer army in an NES box in my garage, they're about 1/3 painted. Years back when i was into it, i would just get a bunch of the plastic figures since most of your army doesnt have to be unique. You will never paint all the plastic figures because nothing is more boring that painting dozens of the exact same figure. My band has a song about painting figures called 'painting guys.'
Also, i checked out your band webpage and painting guys wasn't up for download. You tease.
Old 03-25-04, 01:08 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally posted by xmiyux
Well the geek factor isn't too huge of a deal just because my wife realizes what a geek i am and is ok with it. So attracting women isn't an issue I actual did paint miniatures for a little while and enjoyed it as a hobby but i just bought ones i liked the sculpt of and never did anything with them post-painting other than sit them on a shelf.
My wife got into painting them for me for a while. She didn't care about playing, she just enjoyed making them look pretty.

Here's a link to a forum where people trade and sell miniatures:Portent.net

And here's a another one. I used to use it about six years ago: Bartertown