Reload this Page >

Do I need PS2 Warranty ??

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-12-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am plan going Pickup NEW PS2 w/ Online Adapter (20% off Sale at KBTOYs starting tomorrow & Sunday)

Do I need to Purchase 2 or 3 years warranty too??

Thanks
Old 03-12-04, 05:57 PM
Banned

You never need to purchase a warranty. It all depends if you want to. If you will feel better knowing that your PS2 is protected if it ever has a problem, go for it. I haven't had any problems with my PS2 that I couldn't solve relatively easily. Definitely not worth paying the money up front. But some people like the idea of protection. It really depends how you feel about warranties.
Old 03-12-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't recommend it from KB toys. They have closed alot of stores and are just coming out of bankruptcy. The warranty might be more trouble than it's worth.

I would recommend a warranty with a PS2, they are not the most reliable system.
Old 03-12-04, 08:22 PM

Remember that extended warranties are money makers for them. Most items will still not fail within the extended warranty period. If you never buy them, then you will come out ahead in the end. That being said, you will hear about lots of people saying that they needed the warranty. However, I got my PS2 the first day, and I've never had any problems with it.
Old 03-12-04, 08:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Yes. I just dealt with two people today who had broken PS2s that they purchases 6-9 months ago. Both called Sony, and Sny would not repair for free. That is all IN MY OPINION though.
Old 03-12-04, 09:30 PM

I bought mine near launch and about 6 months ago I was getting disc read errors out the wazoo. Luckily Sony offered to fix it for me for free.

I could definitely see the benefit in an extended warranty, it just depends on who the supplier is. Best Buy should just replace it for you if you have problems instead of sending it off to service. I'd rather have a newer model PS2 than to have just gotten mine fixed (Sony says they merely cleaned it), but free isn't bad.

I'd just be concerned about Sony game systems because now both my PS1 and PS2 died within a year or two of purchase.
Old 03-13-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Definately get a warranty on it, though i wouldnt get one at KB cause of their money probs....my Sony systems have never lasted more than 2 yrs, and i dont even use it that much.
Old 03-13-04, 10:13 AM

I got mine at EB and got the warranty, and I've replaced it four times within two years. I think the warranty is definitely worth the money. I also have it on my XBOX, and i've replaced it twice.
Old 03-13-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks you all for you input!

Seem like i have to Pay extra $30 warranty now instead pickup NEW PS2 again in the next 2 yrs.

PS. Really NEw PS2 system with progressive scan that BAD ??
Old 03-13-04, 01:55 PM
Banned

IMO, the only people who have problems with consoles are those who don't take care of them. Unless you have a mechanical problem which affects a larger than normal percentage of owners, then it is usually user error.
Old 03-13-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
PS. Really NEw PS2 system with progressive scan that BAD ??
It should be better I am thinking, I've never had any experience with that one though.

I've been reading that a lot of stores are getting memo's from their corporate branches saying that the X-Box will be dropping price to $149 within the next few weeks, so that means the PS2 will be dropping to $149 as well very soon. Though at 20% right now it ends up being the same anyway .
Old 03-13-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have never had any system have any problems other than normal maintenace issues (cleaning out the dust). So I would not buy a warranty for your PS2, but I also wouldn't buy one for any system.