Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Please help me set up my PS2 to be wireless

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-04, 03:39 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me set up my PS2 to be wireless

Ok, I have a netgear wireless router that is up and running and a laptop is running fine wirelessly. I just picked up a D-Link DWL-810+ to get my PS2 running wirelessly, but can't get it configured.

I can get to the configuration screens on the DWL-810 if I connect it directly to my netgear router, but not if it is hooked up elsewhere. I went through got it all running (or so I thought) then connected it to my PS2 but no connection was found. I then tried to connect to the web configuration screens with it hooked to the PS2 but can't get the screens to come up. The troubleshooting guide says I need to set a static IP on my computer, but if I do that then I can't connect to the internet at all since it obtains ithe IP automatically.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

DAC
Here is the link to the help section of the DWL-810+
Old 03-06-04, 08:12 AM
Cool New Member

Do you have WEP encryption enabled on the router?
Is the router set to restrict access by MAC address?
Is the Bridge set to "infrastructure" mode?
Did you try setting the IP info manually on the PS2 and Bridge?
Old 03-06-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RenoGQ
Do you have WEP encryption enabled on the router?
Is the router set to restrict access by MAC address?
Is the Bridge set to "infrastructure" mode?
Did you try setting the IP info manually on the PS2 and Bridge?
Yep, you need to check all these things, also check and see if you are broadcasting your SSID or not.

If you are broadcasting it (generally not recommended for security reasons) , then your access point should pick it up and ask if that is the network you want to connect to. If you are not broadcasting your SSID (which is generally a more secure way to setup your network), you will probably have to tell your access point what the SSID or network name is that you want to attach to.

By the way, once you get it working, you should generally enable WEP, restrict to the specific MAC addresses, and turn off SSID broadcasting. I'd do it one at a time, so if something breaks the connectivity, you'll know what did it.

I recently hooked up my X-Box wirelessly and before I could turn off broadcast of my SSID, I had to upgrade the firmware on my access point, as the previous version would not handle a "hidden" SSID. Once I did that all was good and I was able to enable all the security items mentioned above. SO upgrade your firmware for the access point and router if newer versions are available.

Edit: Also, for security reasons you should change the default SSID to another name as well as change the default passwords of both the router and the access point.
Old 03-06-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the DWL-810+ for my Xbox. Here's what you have to do:

First, you have to hook up the DWL-810+ directly to your PC. It's okay to unplug ethernet from your netgear wireless router, but it has to be on and transmitting when you configure the DWL-810+.

Now, I have XP so be sure to follow the directions for your OS if different. First, go to Control Panel->Network and Internet Connections and select Network Connections. Right click on your Local Area Connection and select Properties. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on the Properties button.

Click on Use the following IP addresses and enter the following:

IP address: 192.168.0.65
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

Click on Use the following DNS server addresses and enter the following:

Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
Alternate DNS server: 4.2.2.2

You may have to reboot. When you are ready, open your browser and type 192.168.0.30 and log on with your ID/password (default is admin/blank).

Click on the Wireless tab.

Select Infrastructure as the operating mode and click on Site Survey. Here you will see your router - this is why we needed to keep it plugged in while doing this. Select it and it will configure the DWL-810+ automatically based on the router settings.

Really that's it. When you do Site Survey it will show you if the router has WEP enabled. My advice is not to use it, since it really doesn't offer much in the way of security. A better way would be to use MAC filtering from your router, and you can do that after you have your PS2 connection working.

This is exactly what I do, and it works like a charm. Hope that helps!

Jeremy
Old 03-09-04, 02:01 PM
DAC

Thanks,

That did it.

DAC
Old 03-09-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, how much do one of these

D-Link DWL-810+

go for?
Old 03-09-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

$63 at Fry's. Damn pricy.
Old 03-10-04, 03:55 PM
DAC

Yeah, I got it from buy.com for $58
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...9&sp=1&loc=101

Went with the free shipping and it got here in like 3 days too.

I am getting a lot of disconnects though. I'm not sure if I can tweak the setup or if its a matter of my placement. I tried NCAA Football 2004 and got dropped twice. In Tiger Woods 2004 I am alright if I play a 9 hole match game but to play the daily tournament I get dropped on the back 9 for some reason.