Let's talk about the Apex Extreme vs. console machines

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3414281.stm

Specs:
1.2 GHz processor
40GB hard drive
5.1 digital audio
DVD/CD playback
$399 US retail price

I have a few problems with this, naturally. First off, it is made by Apex, who I don't have a lot of confidence in with their quality.

Also, though I get PC Gamer magazine (good article on this unit) I really don't play many PC games. I have never liked the controls for pc games (other than simple ones like Dune II, X-Com, etc.). Granted they are probably just as good as any others today (confirm?), but I still haven't gotten into it.

Having said all that, I am intrigued as hell. Ignoring exclusives that are on consoles for now, the great equalizer is the fact that the publishers do not have to pay Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo as cut, so the games tend to be $10 to $20 less and drop much quicker. Another nice thing (even though I ripped on the controlers earlier) would be having the ability to use good controls for flight sims, racing (though there are good ones for consoles), etc.

Anyway, I could actually see it take off. Why more than regular PC gamers? The consoles will appeal to old time console players (like me) who prefer to have a computer on a screen, and games on a TV.

Anyway, this out to fuel a pretty good debate.
Old 02-29-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, can't see paying $400 for it. I have a pretty good PC and I never use it for games so I'm not going to buy this thing to play them. Its a cool idea, but the Apex name spells disaster IMO. I can only imagine the playback and quality problems this unit will have.
Old 02-29-04, 11:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you want to play PC games, it's better to buy a PC.

1.2 ghz? That's great if you want to play games from 5 years ago. Won't play any of the latest and greatest stuff.
Old 03-01-04, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
If you want to play PC games, it's better to buy a PC.

1.2 ghz? That's great if you want to play games from 5 years ago. Won't play any of the latest and greatest stuff.
Sure it will, because it is a dedicated processor. It doesn't have to run a full version of Windows in the background like you do with most PCs.

But the way things upgrade so fast, you would be required to purchase a new machine at least every 2 years to be able to play the newest games. $400 every two years is too much.
Old 03-01-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Again, I don't think this unit will break the mold, but it might be the start of things and someone with the ability might do it. Hell, you can buy a dell with more crap on it right now for this price. They may not want to rock the boat with Microsoft, but Gateway may. And they have started to branch out in a number of ways as well.

And the price probably wouldn't bother me knowing the games would be quite a bit cheaper.
Old 03-01-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=apex