Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else NOT see the magic in Star Wars: KOTOR?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, I just got my Computer Gaming World and they named Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game of the year. I know other magazines and websites are following suit. But I have to tell you, I bought this game, played it for about a week, and just don't get it. I found it slow, unexciting and difficult to sit through. The graphics were great, but even the controls seemed clumsy.

So what did I miss?

Fortunately, I sold it on ebay for nearly what I paid for it.
Old 01-30-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
I read in one review of it that it was the best product to have the name Star Wars since the original trilogy movies. I would have to agree. I'm not sure how far into it you got, but the story was amazing. Also this was the first game that I know that allowed to join either the good, or bad side resulting in different endings. I agree that there were some slow points at the beginning (the first planet dragged a bit), but I guess I'm just used to playing a lot of RPG's. It didn't bother me one bit. I'm a huge fan of RPG's, and a huge fan of Star Wars, so for me this was a no-brainer. Now the wait has begun for Bioware to release Jade Empire...
Old 01-30-04, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I rented it for awhile and feel somewhat like you do. It was slow getting started and while the controls weren't the best the in the world they were easy enough to pick up I thought. Overall though I wasn't impressed enough w/ it to purchase it but I may pick it up once it hits the $15-$20 range.
Old 01-30-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still in the middle of playing my first time through. I've got about 35 hours into it. I can't wait to go through as a dark side jedi next time.

I'm not a big fan of console or computer RPGs but I've played my fair share. I think this is the perfect combination of console rpg, traditional computer rpg, and Diablo like hack and slash rpg.
Old 01-30-04, 10:14 AM

Same here. I started playing it and just couldn't get into it and stop playing after a couple days. This is rare since once I start a game, I always feel like I can't stop until I complete it. I am also a big fan of RPGs and Star Wars, but for some reason, this game just never clicked with me. Maybe I will give it another chance sometime down the road.
Old 01-30-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm having a hard time getting into this game as well. I've had it for a while, but only played it over 1 weekend, and haven't picked it up in at least 6 weeks. I just couldn't get into it because everything seemed rather slow and dull.
Old 01-30-04, 10:20 AM

Disagree... KOTOR rocks!

Believe me, it picks up... as mentioned, the first planet is a little slow, but it starts to kick in from there. The control scheme took a little getting used to, but I had no problem with it after about 6 hours.

The last SW game I truly enjoyed was Jedi Knight Outkast, which got a little repetitive towards the end... this game takes the best elements from that and adds multi-character, RPG, good/evil, etc. and is way better.

I played KOTOR about 12 hours straight last weekend... after sitting down to play for 1 hour. It really sucks you in once it gets going!
Old 01-30-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts
If the game were truly "slow and dull," why would it get the attention that it does?

If it was some "sleeper" or niche title, I could see there being a difference of opinion.

But for a game that was routinely named one of if not the best title of the year for the Xbox, wouldn't that be reason enough to think that maybe you should give it more of a chance than a few hours or even a weekend?
Old 01-30-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Disagree... KOTOR rocks!

Originally posted by gorgo99
The last SW game I truly enjoyed was Jedi Knight Outkast,
Did you play as Big Boi Kenobi or Darth Andre 3000?
Old 01-30-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by Draven
If the game were truly "slow and dull," why would it get the attention that it does?

If it was some "sleeper" or niche title, I could see there being a difference of opinion.

But for a game that was routinely named one of if not the best title of the year for the Xbox, wouldn't that be reason enough to think that maybe you should give it more of a chance than a few hours or even a weekend?
Well, I entirely agree. That's why I gave it a full week of playtime. I know I'm missing something here--maybe it's just that I don't "get" RPG gaming. I'll admit, I'm much more into games like Jedi Outcast, Half Life, Jedi Academy, Deus Ex, etc. This was probably my first "true" RPG, and I just found it kind of like one of those old text adventures. TONS of stuff to read, read, read, way too much to do to enjoy. I know I'm missing it. Maybe I'll pick it up again when it's $20.
Old 01-30-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by JuryDuty
Well, I entirely agree. That's why I gave it a full week of playtime. I know I'm missing something here--maybe it's just that I don't "get" RPG gaming. I'll admit, I'm much more into games like Jedi Outcast, Half Life, Jedi Academy, Deus Ex, etc. This was probably my first "true" RPG, and I just found it kind of like one of those old text adventures. TONS of stuff to read, read, read, way too much to do to enjoy. I know I'm missing it. Maybe I'll pick it up again when it's $20.
Well at least you admit that

I could understand someone not really enjoying RPGs. And it sounds like you gave it a shot. I'm not a big Final Fantasy fan (I don't have the time any longer.) But KOTOR was pretty unique as far as RPGs go. The combat system was a lot of fun with a ton of variety (characters auto-fighting, especially when they are Force users, was always cool.) The cutscenes and dialogue weren't TOO long (and I HATE cutscenes and reading dialogue.) And the story was actually fairly interesting.

Also, there were some nice twists in the dialogue, including one segment where you need to "solve" a crime by asking the right questions. Things like that kept it entertaining enough.

Did you get off the first planet?

edit: of the games you listed, I'd say Deus Ex is the most similar. The only real difference is the first person perspective.

Otherwise it's all there: dialogue, cutscenes, equipping/upgrading your character, different ways to do things (not quite as many as in Deus Ex, but enough that you had some choices.)

Last edited by Draven; 01-30-04 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-30-04, 10:59 AM

Yeah, I got pulled into the hype and bought it too, but only further convinced myself that I really, really hate RPG's.
Old 01-30-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Huh. I was hooked right from the get go. RPG's have to have a great storyline to keep my interest and KOTOR easily has one of the best ever. The game play could have been a little better. This game had its share of bugs, especially if you're playing the Xbox version. So on occasion I found my party members standing around doing nothing while I was in battle or sometimes I would switch party members only to find the one I switched to had strayed away from the battle. However, the bugs were minor and did nothing to ruin the experience for me. The story in KOTOR easily out does what Lucas has done with Episode 1 & 2. Sorry you guys didn't get the same enjoyment I did out of this game....I guess "different strokes for different folks".
Old 01-30-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I admit it was somewhat slow in the beginning, but from about 1/3 of the way into it, until the end I was completely hooked. I'd always wind up playing longer than I had anticipated to at each session.

After finishing it I have actually taken a break of a few weeks before plunging into another game.
Old 01-30-04, 12:29 PM

Not only did I see the magic in KOTOR, I saw the magic of a great RPG. I'm not usually an RPG player, last one I played was FFVII, and never finished.

When I started playing KOTOR, I just couldn't put it down, like a real GREAT book that you don't want to put down and wanna know what happens next. Finished it on the light side, and loved the story(cept that really big bug about cloaking )

I also saw the magic of the SW franchise, missing from the last 2 movies. Again we can all list tonz of reasons why we liked the game, but if you didn't like it, then this thread will jus keep going. All matter of opinions. It's like tring to convince someone Dood where's my car was NOT a funny movie
Old 01-30-04, 12:31 PM

This was going to be the game that sold me on the Xbox so I bought the system and gave KOTOR a try. I hated it. It turns out ESPN NBA Basketball is all that is making me hold on to the system. I was so let down after all the glorious reviews-but blah-it just wasn't FUN. I'd rather just read the strategy guide to learn the story and the "twist" and skip the heartache of playing it.
Old 01-30-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate rpg's but I loved this game. I've been through as both dark and light side characters and I'm considering going through it again.
Old 01-30-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thought the graphics was the worst part! and the relative "smallness" of the maps/planets.

but, i couldn't really put it down. took over my gaming life for a good few weeks.
Old 01-30-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rented the game twice, and I couldn't get into it neither time. It just seemed really slow and totally unexciting.
Old 01-30-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was watching my friend play this game and I thought it was interesting, but as soon as I started playing on my own, I lost interest quick. I could get into the story, but I don't really like RPGs.
Old 01-30-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Get a light saber and then come back and talk to us.

I personally hate RPGs but I thought this game was awesome!
Old 01-30-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I got really hooked really quickly the first time and beat it as a light jedi when it first came out. I want to replay it as a dark jedi, but I'm having a little more trouble getting into it.

I guess I'm kinda on an action kick right now (that and MTGO). I really want to play MotoGP2 as well which is just sitting on my tv, but I can't get into it (and I loved the first one). I'm doing alright with Metal Arms because that's what I feel like playing most right now but it's also frustratingly difficult.
Old 01-30-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I bought it used at BBV for $25 before Christmas. Played it for a few days(then I got Top Spin, which I haven't stopped playing), but it seemed really slow. I don't usually play RPGs, but this one has potential, but it is pretty boring so far. I will go back to it soon. I do want to play all the way through it.
Old 01-30-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Got bored of it on PC and havent played it much. It just felt like Baldurs Gate in the Star Wars universe, and quite frankly i never enjoyed Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale much either. Just not a fan of the way they're set up (although KOTOR was better to me). Meanwhile, i've reinstalled my old copy of Fallout 2 and having a blast. Damn you Interplay!
Old 01-30-04, 04:19 PM

I HATE RPGs
and Star Wars: KOTOR was the first one ive ever played! i loved it, im about 27 hours in on the last planet, and i was just confronted by Malak, WOW, let me just say im in love wit the story! if this were made into a movie it would kick the 2nd trilogies ass numerous times! (even though the 3rd is still to come)

all im sayin is...if sumone who absolutely despises RPGs gave this a shot....then so should you

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.