Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

007-EVerything or Nothing (PS2) demo impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
007-EVerything or Nothing (PS2) demo impressions

I scored another demo today at work, this time it was for EA's 007 Everything or Nothing. As you all may know this is a Bond game with a new approach(not exactly new it was done once I believe on the PS1), the third person action game. I know a lot of gamers still cling to Golden Eye as the pinnacle of Bond games but (IMO) I can't go back and play it like I used to, not after playing Agent Under Fire, or Nightfire.

Well back to the subejct at hand. The demo (and assuming the game as well) is presented in THX, which brings me to my first point of praise the production value. The intro is treated just like the opening to a James bond movie...except the women arent naked . The voice talents include John Cleese (sp?) as "Q" Judi Dench as "M", Maya (the singer as whom Im not sure) singing the title track, Willem DeFoe as the games villian Nikolai Diavolo, Shannon Elizabeth (who appears whenever you pause the game in the menu ) as Serena St. Germaine, and of course Pierce Brosnan as Bond.

The demo sadly is rather short as I finished in ten minutes. However I played it over, and over again. Controls are easily picked up right analog moves bond, left analog rotates the camera around you. Weapons are your standard Bond fair automatic rifles and his trusty P99. The first part of this demo has you repelling from the top of a building down to a train to intercept a Doctor. The last time I played a repelling mission was in Golden Eye and this was 100 times cooler. Namely because your repelling against a building with many windows and they are exploding. Upon touching down you have to (as per usual) take out the bad guys. You can lock on to distant enemies, duck and cover, and if they get too close give them a little crack across the face with your gun. You can lock on to enemies but youll have to rotate the camera to make sure your actually hitting them.

Im not too sure if the programmers have included Bond to use his gadgets like his watch with a million and one uses, but he does have thermal vision. Like I said this demo is short so once I got to the train...end of demo. However there is a second playable mission on the disc and this involces chasing down Jaws (not the shark) in a motocycle equipped with flamethrowers, and missles. This was pretty cool but the controls took some getting used to right analog steers the cycle while the left one accelerates, and I couldnt change that.

Much like the first person Bond games, the game tells you when youve done something cool and Bond-like, as in blowing up a shed of bad guys with a missle as you drive by. Once on the high way you have to chase down Jaws before he reaches the city. You can persue him with the flow of traafic or against the flow of traffic, just dont hit a car or else youll start over. There is a gap you can jump, just make sure you do it at full speed, or else. The coolest thing I did in this part of the demo is slide under a crashed rig while the guys chasing me crashed into said rig and blew up in slow motion. Once you catch up to Jaws you have to disable his rig by taking out the tires with you flamethrower, once youve done that...end of demo.

This demo while short did provide me with a good idea of how the final game will play, and Id like to think of it as a teaser. The demo did include a multiplayer option but I was unable to get into it because well duh two players and Im living alone. I do wish however they had included a part you can fight hand to hand. The opening video shows Bond throwing down with ease, and with all the gunfire coming at me in the first part of the dmeo i had no time to stop and punch.

As I said I was worried this would end up sucking, but to my suprise it turned out rather well. I will definately be picking this up when I can (bills, and rent suck sometimes ya know?).

Another post from your friendly neighborhood zero.
Old 02-02-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
When does this game hit the shelf?
Old 02-02-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2/18/04.

Playing the xbox demo, I felt it took a bit of time to get used to, and even after finishing it, i'm still undecided. I guess I'll wait for the final product to drop before I have my final say.