Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mario Kart Double Dash Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mario Kart Double Dash Questions

Can two people play "co-op" and go through the single player game? Is the one player game enough to entertain for a while? Are their unlockables (courses, karts, etc?).
Old 01-23-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yep, you can do a co-op mode and unlock stuff. There are a lot of unlockables including new karts, characters, and Special cups.
Old 01-23-04, 01:02 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of unlockables, but I got sick of it fast as the one player game is probably 90% luck/10% skill on 150 cc. Winning races comes down to just getting the right items at the right times and not getting hit with something horrible at the wrong time more than any driving skill. Thus it gets incredibly frustrating.
Old 01-23-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I disagree about the game being "90% luck/10% skill on 150 cc". I've had the game since it came out back in November and I still play it regularly. Driving skills are definitly a big part of winning on 150cc. I'd say it is the opposite, 90% skill/10% luck. Especially with the added blocking techniques, there is a lot more skill required in keeping first place.
Old 01-26-04, 12:44 AM

At first it seems like the game is pure luck when you keep getting hit near the end of races. But keep in mind that your driver can hold an item 'in reserve'. There are several defensive items in the game, and if you switch positions as soon as you get one, you can save it for later in the race. If you see a red or blue turtle shell approaching, switch positions and use the item to stop the attack. You can avert blue turtle shells with a star, and red turtle shells with a star, banana, hearts, another turtle shell, etc. Whenever I get a star, I try to keep it until the last half of the last lap, then use it to close out the race unscathed.

You can also keep a powerful offensive item, like a red or blue turtle shell 'in reserve', and use it to nail any opponent who passes you near the end of the race. Hit the AI with it's own strategy.

I just finished the game this weekend.
Lots of fun, and lots of things to unlock.
Old 01-26-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only problem, if you manage to maintain first place the entire race, you'll never get a star. If somebody decides to launch a blue shell or lightning bolt, you're pretty much out of luck.