Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New Nintendo console (DS) revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Nintendo console (DS) revealed!!

Saw the news just before going to bed. *yawn* I thought this was going to be something revolutionary and not specifically a console. Doesn't seem like a great idea IMO. Maybe when more details are revealed I'll get more excited.....

Additonal details available on yahoo.
Old 01-20-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That seems like a really odd, some may say dumb, idea.

"Nintendo said the dual screens on the new game machine would let players see the same game from two different perspectives, or see game action on one screen while looking at a map of the game environment on the other. "

The second idea is interesting but it just sounds like it will already be too bulky. The prototype shots of the PSP showed a small and very slick looking handheld.

Nintendo should just stick with the SP for now since it is on kick ass device. This new idea might be a step forward in technology but in portability it might be a step back.
Old 01-20-04, 11:32 PM
Banned

It sounds like a good idea to me. Think about, while playing a racing game, having one screen be the front view and the other being the back view (like a rear view mirror). Or it could even be a top shot of the track. Many possibilities. I just wonder if this is going to be another VirtualBoy?
Old 01-20-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

This is their idea?

So is it a successor for the GBA or not? I suppose not otherwise they would said it.

Very very strange. I am a huge nintendo fan but this idea seems a little kooky. If they anounced the sucessor to the GBA that just happened to have two screens I would be much more excited.

This is not the way to do a leak. At least give us something. Will it use carts or CD media? Will it be compatable with the current crop of gameboy games?

Last edited by tanman; 01-20-04 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-20-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

why not have a wide screen display w/ a split screen view? one half could be the game, and the other, the map, etc. instead of having 2 screens.

very weird... i guess, it might make more sense once it actually gets announced in may.
Old 01-20-04, 11:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Wow, that sounds really lame. I can't see many people support this. There last device (e-reader) is barley supported as is, and this thing just sounds LAME.
Old 01-20-04, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by joshd2012
It sounds like a good idea to me. Think about, while playing a racing game, having one screen be the front view and the other being the back view (like a rear view mirror). Or it could even be a top shot of the track. Many possibilities. I just wonder if this is going to be another VirtualBoy?
Yeah, thank god the hassle of having to press a button to switch perspectives or bring up the map screen has finally been eliminated merely by forcing consumers to pay for an extra LCD screen and a set of video processors. Hey, it'll cost us at least 50-75 extra dollars and will look stupid as hell in the process, but thank god we no longer have to push a button to change perspectives.

Dumbest idea EVER!!!
Old 01-20-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

*Cue Virtual Boy*

@ IGN's conceptual artwork

Sounds pretty weak to me. Aimed at taking some of the thunder away from the PSP hype machine. Wouldn't this just serve to weaken the GBA's position in the market? (if possible) Regardless of what they say, if its a success it will replace the GBA line. But isn't pulling something like that risky with the PSP looming around the corner? It'll just make the marketplace think that the GBA is on the way out, and be more open to a PSP. I just don't understand the motivation here.

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 01-20-04 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 12:30 AM

The two-screen thing does sound gimmicky, but it's what the article says next that caught my attention:

The unit will feature two three-inch LCD screens, dual processors and up to one gigabit of semiconductor memory.
ONE GIGABIT of RAM? By my calculations that's 128 megabytes. That's a lot of RAM for a handheld. Hell, that's a lot of RAM for a full sized console. Gamecube only has 40MB total RAM, GBA has less than 1MB, and according to Sony's official specs the PSP will only have 8MB. What does Nintendo intend to DO with all that RAM? Makes me wonder if this is going to be a fully 3D handheld...
Old 01-21-04, 12:34 AM
Suspended

Wow, no third parties are going to support this. Well, I'm sure an Army Men game will somehow make it onto the system.

I was sure that they were coming out with an EarToy peripheral.
Old 01-21-04, 12:41 AM

Wow...another Nintendo gimmick
Old 01-21-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jesus Nintendo...i dont think you guys are trying anymore.
Old 01-21-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally posted by sararekuforever
Wow...another Nintendo gimmick
I like their "gimmicks" ie E-Reader, GBA-GCN link and don't mind them experimenting with new ideas but don't base an entire console on around it. Can anyone say Virtual Boy. (I know I know it's been said ten times already).
Old 01-21-04, 01:11 AM

I think the semiconductor memory just means that it will use cartridges that can be up to 128MB in size.
Old 01-21-04, 01:21 AM

I think the semiconductor memory just means that it will use cartridges that can be up to 128MB in size.
Well that would certainly make more sense, but why include that in the system specs? Maybe just the result of a poor translation from Japanese to English. Still, 128MB cartridges? The largest GBA cartriges are only 16MB. N64 carts topped out at 64MB. Either way, I'm more interested in whether this will just be a two-screen GBA (yawn) or something more powerful...

Last edited by vd0man; 01-21-04 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-21-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Ear Toy
Old 01-21-04, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is....not good...
Old 01-21-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by young
why not have a wide screen display w/ a split screen view? one half could be the game, and the other, the map, etc. instead of having 2 screens.

very weird... i guess, it might make more sense once it actually gets announced in may.
Cost. It's cheaper to provide the setup this way. Nintendo seems to believe firmly in affordability of their products.

In addition there could be other uses of the seperate screens. Perhaps the unit can be seperated for instant 2 player games etc.

The idea is a sound idea and actually much needed if you think about. The true challenege is creating the software that shows off the systems abilities. Hopefully Nintendo can gain support for it, I could see this as the next big thing if utilized properly.

Recall for a moment, when the SNES came out everyone said "My God! why so man buttons on a controller?!" Then SFII hit the shelves and people understood. Point is, in the past Nintendo has demonstrated amazing foresight, and when coupled with the software to showcase the hardware gamers will come.
Old 01-21-04, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
with 128 MB cartridges does that mean this will have N64/PSX graphic capabiliites?
Old 01-21-04, 07:57 AM

Sounds interesting. People may think the e-reader is gimmicky but they don't have the extra levels in SMA4: SMB3, the sweet designs and "presents" of Animal Crossing and Game & Watch re-releases. Hurry up and get here E3. How about those awesome Sony and Microsoft wireless controllers? Nintendo is ahead of it's time. One word proves it - wavebird.
Old 01-21-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jediwicz
Sounds interesting. People may think the e-reader is gimmicky but they don't have the extra levels in SMA4: SMB3, the sweet designs and "presents" of Animal Crossing and Game & Watch re-releases. Hurry up and get here E3. How about those awesome Sony and Microsoft wireless controllers? Nintendo is ahead of it's time. One word proves it - wavebird.
Amen brotha.. amen.
Old 01-21-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll wait to pass judgement on it. Remember all the other innovative products Nintendo has brought us that are now staples fo gaming? Shame on all the doubters.
Old 01-21-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by tanman
At least give us something. Will it use carts or CD media? Will it be compatable with the current crop of gameboy games?
Did you READ the release?
The portable will not use GameCube optical disc or Game Boy Advance cartridge based media. Instead, it will play software on semiconductor memory of up to 1 Gigabit, according to the manufacturer.
Sounds rather lame to me. I have trouble focusing on all that happens on one screen (like course maps during racing games like Mario Kart). I don't think many games would have much use for this. PLUS making it unable to play any titles but those specifically designed for it really reduces its "must have" factor. At least with the GBA(& SP) you also could still play old GCB and GB titles. This sounds EXACTLY like Virtual Boy - but with a different set of headaches.

Last edited by rfduncan; 01-21-04 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-21-04, 08:36 AM

I like Nintendo a lot, just clicking on my videogames icon in my sig will show that. With that said, I'm getting a Virtual Boy vibe at the moment, which isn't a good thing. I'll reserve complete judgement till later but this is discouraging. I don't own an SP anymore because of the shitty screen and now they want me to worry about 2 seperate ones on the same device, no thanks hehe. The only thing that perked my interest was "Instead, it will play software on semiconductor memory of up to 1 Gigabit" part.
Old 01-21-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll wait to pass judgement. Nintendo *usually* gets it right, but they may be due for another failure, who knows. Let's see what they launch with, if they come up with a solid launch game then we may be good to go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.