Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Gamecube observations and questions

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-03-04, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've Been lurking a while and figured that It was about time that I posted. I'm a dedicated XBOX owner that couldn't figure out what to do with some gift certificates I got for XMAS, so I bought myself a Gamecube along with Metroid Prime, Monkeyball and Waverace.

I was uncertain about getting it at first, but so far I'm very happy with my cube and have gotten past the "kiddie" stigma attached to it. While the graphics aren't quite up to the best XBOX games like Halo and it doesn't have anything like Morrowind, there are still lots of pretty polygons to look at and at $99 it's a bargain. The playability of the games I've played so far have been great. The thing that I'm most impressed with is the controller. Unlike the controllers for the PSX or XBOX, it's easy to tell the buttons apart by feel... Best Controller Ever IMO. Now that I have used it for a while, I think it is a great design. Metroid + the Game Cube Controller are near perfect together! The only thing I don't like is the fact that the trigger buttons aren't smooth and "click" when you press them all the way down.

I was wondering, is the wavebird controller everybody likes so much exactly same thing as the regular controller (except for being wireless), or does it actually feel different? Looking at it, it looks just like a wireless version of the standard controller. I was thinking of getting one, but if it's the same as the wired controller I don't really think I need it . Does it have smoother trigger buttons?

Also, is Super Monkey Ball 2 more of the same thing as Super Monkey Ball 1? Would it be worth getting as a single player game for somebody that has the first one already?

Anyway, now that I have taken the plunge, I'm almost ready to forgive Nintendo for the blinking light NES and the GBA screen.
Old 01-03-04, 05:04 PM

We got two wavebirds yesterday with our cube, the main difference is that there is no rumble. But having an XBox the main reason we got the waves is that there are no wires to have drapped all over the living room. Storage is easier and the cool factor is there also.
Old 01-03-04, 05:05 PM

The wavebird is the same as the regular controller except it is a bit heavier since it has batteries and all in it. I cant answer the Monkey Ball question because Ive never played either.
Old 01-03-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's how good the wavebird is... I don't know what the packed in controller feels like, because I have never used it
Old 01-03-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The wavebird is a really cool device...

I find myself wanting to buy games for the GC just so I can use the wavebird instead of my stupid, wired PS2 controllers and their twisted up extension cords.

I'm considering getting at least one PS2 wireless controller now because of the wavebird...

BUY IT!
Old 01-03-04, 08:12 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wavebird is great because, as you said the GC controller is awesome, and it is so nice to not have to deal with cords. I get so sick of my PS2 and X-box controller cords getting all tangled up.

The batteries last a hell of a long time. 100 hours according to the manuel. I've had a wavebird since June 2002 and I've changed batteries only 2 or 3 times.

There's no rumble though, so if that's important to you don't get a wavebird. I've never liked rumble, so it wasn't an issue for me.

As for SMB, the sequel offers a harder main quest and a slew of new many games like baseball and soccer so if you like the first you should love the second as well.
Old 01-03-04, 08:33 PM

I love the Wavebird, but the button layout still sucks. Gotta love Monkey Ball though. Sole reason to own a GC for me. I hope the series continues, only next time don't try to include some lame story mode to it.
Old 01-03-04, 08:42 PM
Retired

BTW, the click in the shoulder buttons is so developers can use it as two buttons. I.E. pressing it slightly is one button, pressing it until it clicks is another button.

I love the trigger buttons, and the way they're molded to fit your fingers. It's the only controller where I can keep my fingers on the shoulder buttons all the time and be comfortable.

The Z-button sucks though. Fortunately it's not used much.
Old 01-03-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
Wavebird > all
Old 01-03-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The wavebird feels terrific just picked one up yesterday, I also agree that GC has the most intuitive controller I have ever used.
How long can I expect a couple AAs to last in the Wavebird, and is the recharger unit worth picking up
Old 01-03-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
Wavebird > all
No wires dangling across the table anymore . Also looks very sophisticated, there isn't a cord coming out of your console anymore.

I like the single player in SMB2 better than the one in SMB 1, but we mostly play multiplayer in that game. There are probably some who disagree because I didn't get to play the first one that much. You're good eitherway because they're both good. SMB1 might be a little harder I've heard, which is a good thing.

You need to pick up Viewtiful Joe and F-Zero GX, and Eternal Darkness or Resident Evil Zero!

Viewtiful Joe is another game like Metroid Prime that uses every single button on the controller. If I recall Pikmin does this too.
Old 01-04-04, 11:21 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Apocrypha

How long can I expect a couple AAs to last in the Wavebird, and is the recharger unit worth picking up
Like I said above, manual says 100 hours. I've had the Wavebird since June 2002 and changed batteries only 2 or 3 times. I have all three systems though, so my GC sometimes goes a month or two without being touched as I'm playing something on another system.

But I'd say decent batteries (i.e. duracell or energizer, not crappy cheaper brands) last at least the advertised 100 hours.

To me, that makes the rechargable options not worth the $.
Old 01-04-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
I didn't even use the generic Panasonic batteries that came with my Wavebird. I threw in some Energizer Max AA's
Old 01-04-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I agree about 90% on the GC controller being the best design ever. The only beef I have is with the z button. Terrible, terrible. I like the feel of the camera stick more than just a second analog. And of course, factor in the wavebird and the z worries are forgivable.
Old 01-04-04, 10:01 PM
Retired

I hate the Z button as well, but in reality it's not much worse than the R1 or R2 button on the Dual shock, or the R buttons on the SNES controllers or the GBA.

I just f**cking hate "shoulder" buttons in general. Triggers like L and R on the GC, X-box and Dreamcast controllers are fine as they are more toward the bottom where my fingers normally rest. On top shoulder buttons are a pain for me as I just can't comfortably hold a controller with my fingers on those buttons all the time, thus I have to just move my fingers up to them when I need to use them.
Old 01-04-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I might be in the minority but I think the Z button is one of the best buttons ever. The way its used in most games is actually quite intuitive in its placement and use like for the map in a lot of games like Metroid Prime and switching characters in Mario Kart. Anyway this is getting off topic and this is such a minor thing so I'll stop.
Old 01-04-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Outlaw
Anyway this is getting off topic and this is such a minor thing so I'll stop.
Nah! C'mon man... let's keep this thing rolling!

In all honesty, I didn't realise there even was a "Z" button until I played Resident Evil 0. Seems OK to me, as long as it's just used for maps, option screens etc. It's easier to get to than the START button anyway.

I dare some hot new developer to use it as the FIRE button...
Old 01-05-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have to say, I really hated the GC controller at first, but it's really growing on me. The only control function that still feels very awkward is using the D-pad (left) to enter scanning mode in Metroid: Prime. No matter what, the greatest controller of all time (non-analog) was the SNES pad.
Old 01-05-04, 12:51 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to come in here and say that the GC controller is certainly one of the best of all time (I LOVE the N64 controller though, believe it or not). The different shapes for the face buttons make everything easily identifiable, without having to look down while playing. The Z button isn't horrible in the least bit, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that it is one of the greatest buttons ever. And I still haven't picked up a Wavebird because I actually enjoy the "rumble", as well as I can't see worth a shit from far off anyway... The platinum ones do look cool though, and I'm sure I'll get one in the near future.