Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox Live setup question (hub vs. router?)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-04, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got broadband set up the other day through my local cable provider, and it's sweet. Of course, thoughts of potential Xbox Live setups are now going through my head.

My cable modem provider's help page even includes a setup page for Xbox Live (http://help.insightbb.com/game_conso...soft_xbox.html). However, there were a few things I read that surprised me:

3. A hub is needed to connect both an Xbox and a computer to the cable modem. Insightbb.com does not provide support for any form of networking equipment, such as hubs or routers. Customers desiring to use a hub will need to acquire one from a retailer or manufacturer, as this is equipment that is not available from Insightbb.com.

4. It is recommended that the use of routers NOT be used in conjunction with using the Xbox online. Microsoft reports a number of gaming issues when the PS2 is connected to a router.

5. Customers using both a computer and a Xbox will need a second IP address to allow the Xbox to work online. Please contact your local Insightbb.com customer service center for assistance.

My questions:

1. What's this business about using a hub and not a router? I'm assuming that's a typo in #4 when it says "PS2 is connected to a router". Maybe from their PS2 setup page (haven't checked), like they copied text and forgot to change something. I've been looking at wireless 802.11g routers for a while--do I have to throw this entire option out the window?

2. Why do I need a second IP address to use the Xbox online? Why can't a router just route the information over to the Xbox once I get it set up?

Sorry, I'm not a networking pro (which is probably obvious from the above questions) but I want to make sure I understand what I can and can't do before I start dropping money on getting my Xbox online.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All you need is a router. If the router you get only has one port, you will also need a hub. Not sure what the problem would be running a PS2 through the same router. I have mine connected that way. Although, I have not tried to be online with the xbox and ps2 at the same time. Shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-03-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have a wireless 802.11G router hub. it has 4 ethernet ports. i have the xbox connected to one of those directly. the rest of my home network is wireless. i plan on getting the xbox wireless once the wireless bridges get cheaper (the xbox one is like a $100 as well as the linksys one).

1. it's not a typo. it's a router and a hub. i don't see why a ps2 connected would be a problem either, but who knows?

2. afaik, you don't need another static IP address. the router should handle the dynamic ones. i still try to turn off my computer when i'm on live though just in case.
Old 01-03-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Xbox Live setup question (hub vs. router?)

Originally posted by DavePack
My cable modem provider's help page even includes a setup page for Xbox Live (http://help.insightbb.com/game_conso...soft_xbox.html). However, there were a few things I read that surprised me:

3. A hub is needed to connect both an Xbox and a computer to the cable modem. Insightbb.com does not provide support for any form of networking equipment, such as hubs or routers. Customers desiring to use a hub will need to acquire one from a retailer or manufacturer, as this is equipment that is not available from Insightbb.com.

4. It is recommended that the use of routers NOT be used in conjunction with using the Xbox online. Microsoft reports a number of gaming issues when the PS2 is connected to a router.

5. Customers using both a computer and a Xbox will need a second IP address to allow the Xbox to work online. Please contact your local Insightbb.com customer service center for assistance.

My questions:

1. What's this business about using a hub and not a router? I'm assuming that's a typo in #4 when it says "PS2 is connected to a router". Maybe from their PS2 setup page (haven't checked), like they copied text and forgot to change something. I've been looking at wireless 802.11g routers for a while--do I have to throw this entire option out the window?

2. Why do I need a second IP address to use the Xbox online? Why can't a router just route the information over to the Xbox once I get it set up?

Sorry, I'm not a networking pro (which is probably obvious from the above questions) but I want to make sure I understand what I can and can't do before I start dropping money on getting my Xbox online.

Thanks!
1. You should be able to use a router. The only hang up would be if your ISP registers your MAC address (basically the hardware address of the chip in the router or NIC, it is a different thing than the IP address), in which case you would need to register the MAC address of the router now instead of your PC. (I have heard of some ISPs doing this, but I'm not sure why) However, this is probably unlikely. They should not care that you attach a router, other than they probably do not want to deal with the tech support, etc.

2. If you use a hub and not a router, you would need them to supply you 2 IP addresses if both your X-Box and PC would be turned on at the same time. If you use a router, the router will dynamically assign both your PC and your X box IP addresses specific to your LAN (using DHCP, most often these are 192.xxx.xxx types of numbers that are only valid inside your LAN) and the one address that they assign to you (presumably dynamically, i.e. DHCP) will be assigned to your router, so there is no need for them to assign you a second IP address in that case.

Last edited by sniper308; 01-03-04 at 01:06 PM.