Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Suggest a Game: Best RPG for GBA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggest a Game: Best RPG for GBA?

Being a huge fan of Advance Wars, I'm looking for a traditional, turn-based RPG for the GBA. I recently got Sword of Mana, but was very disappointed in the action oriented nature of the game (vs. story and strategy-based). I'm not looking for a frenzied button pressor. I've heard bad things about FF: Tactics Advance, and Fire Emblem looks too much like Advance Wars (need a break from that)... so I'm not quite sure what to get.

Does anybody have any RPG recommendations? Thanks for your help.
Old 12-30-03, 04:19 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

In terms of FFTA looking like Advance Wars, I'd have to say no. Yes there is a similar element as they both have a strong strategy portion to it... but FFTA is much more in depth in it's RPG element. Hence it (and Fire Emblem) is a Strat-RPG, much different than Advance Wars. Anyways FFTA is a pretty good game, albiet I enjoyed the PS1 version much more. The best Strat-RPG game for GBA happens to be Tactics Ogre. That is my absolute favorite GBA game.

Anyways, if you are looking for a good RPG, I suggest trying out Golden Sun (and then Golden Sun: the Lost Ark) and/or Lunar Legend. There is also Lufia: Ruin of Lore, which is okay, but not that great. Similarly there is Breath of Fire, BoF2, and the Phantasy Star collection, all of which I don't care much for.
Old 12-30-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Golden Sun, IMO, is one of the most overrated games on the GBA. Avoid!!!! And the Breath of Fire series has aged tremendously - you'll lose interest in a few hours.

On the other hand, I whole-heartedly recommend these, in no order:

1. Fire Emblem (don't be put off by the seemingly Advance Wars-esque battlefield - it's excellent!)
2. Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
3. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Old 12-30-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mario & Luigi is the best RPG on the GBA.
Old 12-30-03, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know what bad things you've heard about FFTA...? Other than I can't rotate/zoom the battle field, because it's not 3D, I love this game. Best RPG/Strategy game this year...period. I would also recommend Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis. These two games will easily provide over 60 hours of play each...best $30 you can spend, IMO. You may have to do some searching for Tactics Ogre because the game is no longer being made.

Mario & Luigi is a good RPG too, It's just way to short. Just when the game really starts to get going....it ends. Liked it more than Paper Mario though.
Old 12-30-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks all... I'm happy to see most of you agree on many of the mentioned titles. As far as hearing "bad" things about FF:TA -- I've read some mediocre reviews and thought I could do better. I might check it out though, along with Superstar Saga, Golden Sun, and Tactics Ogre.
Old 12-30-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can try Lufia.. it's SNES style all the way.. except it SUCKS. Okay, that's just my opinion but it's really not that great espically compared to it's 2 SNES brothers (classic RPGs). The battles are slow mostly because of stupid drawn out animations.. there is SLOWDOWN in towns (WTF?), and overall it's just not that impressive to be honest. It's old school, and if you're looking for that you may enjoy it.

Lunar Silver Star.. awesome game no matter how many times they release it. The GBA version is dumbed down a bit mostly due to removing the portion of battles where you moved characters around, but it's the same game. Story elements changed again (Game Arts likes to do this with each new version to keep it a little fresh), obviously no videos but LOTS of full screen artwork to make up for that.

I will make another vote AGAINST Golden Textbook 1 and 2. The gameplay is great WHEN YOU GET TO IT. There is really too much dialouge in this game, none of it really good. Plus there this REALLY STUPID aspect of the game that every SINGLE time a character says something they have to twitch, seizure, or animate in some way. This makes going through the avalanches of text a horrendous process and it probably triples the amount of time dealing with it than if given the option to just READ it at your own rate. I know some people are into these "games" with so much text and boring story, but I don't see how it works on a Gameboy game.. really dumb for portable gaming.

Still.. Mario & Luigi is the best RPG on the system and I've at least sampled most of them released on the GBA in the states and some overseas. I haven't beaten it yet so I can't vouch for it's length, but it's graphics, gameplay, story, hell EVERYTHING is just top marks. Yes.. I did say story.. the dialouge in this game is interesting and humorous, unlike most RPGs. Plus if you are a Mario fan there's a TON of hidden refrences and stuff for almost EVERY Mario game. You get to fight the Fighter Flies from original Mario Bros, there's a level where you have to climber rafters and jump barrels ala Donkey Kong, there's Dr. Mario viruses (which die when you get them all to match colors!), etc, etc.. wonderful, wonderful game. Second best game on the GBA hands down.
Old 12-30-03, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Mario & Luigi is the best RPG on the GBA.

Best one considering all platforms IMO
Old 12-30-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Second best game on the GBA hands down.
I'm happy to say I'm now an owner of Mario & Luigi. Thanks again everyone. But Pixy, your quote begs the question... what's the best game?
Old 12-30-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by vivarey
I'm happy to say I'm now an owner of Mario & Luigi. Thanks again everyone. But Pixy, your quote begs the question... what's the best game?
Old 12-31-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You might really enjoy FF tactics(a great game for my money)while not a true RPG it offers a deep strategy style of play, mixed with RPG elements , either way it features highly addictive and customizable gameplay with a fairly engrossing storyline.
Also the first Golden Sun has incredible graphics as well as story line.
Old 01-02-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't buy Final Fantasy Tactics Advance unless you are willing to spend many, many, many hours playing it. I'm currently 50 hours into it and I've only finished about 1/3 of the missions. I own the original and I think the sequel has better gameplay (I beat the original in about 50 or 60 hours). The ability system is completely different and the classes are changed a bit. You can even get Blue Mages from Final Fantasy V (and they are very cool). Anyway, it's easily my favorite Game Boy game this year.

Mario and Luigi is an excellent and innovative RPG that took me about 20 hours to complete. Since I generally squeeze every last drop of gameplay from a game, 20 hours is probably about the maximum completion time for that.

Play Mario and Luigi first, then succumb to FFTA and let it suck any semblance of a life away from you.

FWIW, Golden Sun is a more or less standard (but by no means bad) RPG with some neat graphics. It has plenty of RPG cliches and the story is your typical Quest for X Number of Objects plot that is split into two games. I haven't played the second one yet.
Old 01-02-04, 02:14 AM
Cool New Member

Mario & Luigi. It's $19.99 at Ebgames.com right now too
Old 01-02-04, 01:58 PM

I also love M&L, and I'm glad you bought it...but you should definitely give FFTA a chance! I can't imagine where you read a bad review of it, but don't let one person's opinion cause you to miss such an awesome game. If you liked Advance Wars, you will truly love FFTA! I have to agree with Breakfast with Girls, though - I've probably spent 100 hours playing FFTA, and I'm nowhere close to finishing it. I'm enjoying the non-storyline battles enough that I'm only kind of even trying to move the story along

And for what it's worth, Fire Emblem is similar to AW in style, but pretty different in actual gameplay (all of your units have stats/levels that you can increase, and they carry over from battle to battle).