Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Stars Wars Battlefield 1942 clone coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stars Wars Battlefield 1942 clone coming soon

If you check gamespot news, there is a blurb about a new game called Star Wars Battlefront coming next year for xbox and PS2. It's a multiplayer BF1942 clone set in the SW universe.
Old 12-02-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thought it was only for the PS2, glad to hear it's coming to the box!

"A LucasArts representative confirmed today that the studio is working on a new Star Wars title which it will unveil early next year. Currently called Star Wars: Battlefront, the game will feature online multiplayer war action a la Battlefield 1942 set in the Star Wars universe.

Although some rumors pegged Battlefront as a PlayStation 2-exclusive title, LucasArts told GameSpot the game would be available on PS2, Xbox and PC. The studio declined to reveal any other details on the game, although a Battle of Hoth map is all but guaranteed."

I doubt it comes out next year, though ya never know.
Old 12-02-03, 02:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Could be cool if done right. I want to pilot an AT-AT, yo.
Old 12-02-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Could be cool if done right. I want to pilot an AT-AT, yo.
Get/Rent Rebel Strike then.
Old 12-02-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or Rogue Squadron 3
Old 12-02-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Which is the same thing
Old 12-02-03, 04:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well, now I feel dumb. I own Rebel Strike but I haven't played it yet. I knew you could do an AT-ST, but not an AT-AT. I need to pop that game in post haste!
Old 12-02-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
For Battlefield 1942 owners, give this a try.

I haven't tried it in forever, but I had a lot of fun with the initial alpha release.
Old 12-02-03, 04:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
This could be so cool on Xbox Live.
Old 12-03-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More info and 3 pictures:

"Ever wonder what makes your PC friends yap on about Battlefield 1942 all the time? You're about to find out -- but not in a World War II setting. Star Wars: Battlefront takes the idea behind 1942 and moves it to a galaxy far, far away.
In the latest issue of OPM (January 2004, which celebrates 2004's big games on the cover), we exclusively reveal the next major Star Wars game.

Think SOCOM's online-multiplayer experience, only with a wide variety of characters to choose from and a bunch of cool Star Wars vehicles to operate. You can play in the Galactic Civil War or the Clone Wars, meaning you can choose one of four armies to command (Rebels vs. Imperials or Republic vs. Separatists). You can't mix and match sides (e.g., no Republic vs. Empire), but battles can take place on any planet.

As for the vehicles, Battlefront includes pretty much every major ride you've seen in a Star Wars flick. Yes, even AT-ATs. Yes, even X-wings. Hell, you can even mount a tauntaun. Better yet, certain vehicles carry multiple troops: One player drives as the others man guns."

Link:

http://www.playstationmagazine.com/a...1400903,00.asp

Old 12-05-03, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bumping this up in case people missed the screenshots
Old 01-13-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This looks so bad ass, SOCOM but in a SW game.... Oh please be in 720P....please please please
Old 01-13-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Ready. to. buy.
Old 01-13-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmm another Star Wars game. I will wait til it is reviewed to make sure they didnt just use the liscense to sell a bad game (SWG). Sorry to be the downer in this thread guys .
Old 01-13-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by msdmoney
Hmmm another Star Wars game. I will wait til it is reviewed to make sure they didnt just use the liscense to sell a bad game (SWG). Sorry to be the downer in this thread guys .
I tend to agree that they seem to slap it on anything just to make a quick buck.
Old 01-13-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another detail about the game (From EGM)

If a team is controlling a certain planet for a long period of time, say the Imperials have Tatoonie. Darth Vader will appear and start kicking some ass with his Lightsaber. If the Rebel's are in control, then Luke comes down.

Can't wait to play it on Live.
Old 01-14-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds a little more like Star Wars meets Operation Flashpoint.

Anyone heard if this will be strictly first person or like SOCOM/Flashpoint where you can alternate between first and third?
Old 01-14-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
It will suck if this is not on Live, but then it will have paid off that I never sold my PS2 I guess.
Old 01-15-04, 02:51 AM

From gamespy:

Star Wars: Battlefront (PC/PS2/Xbox)
Publisher: LucasArts Developer: Pandemic Studios
Genre: Action Release Date: Q2 2004
ESRB: Rating Pending More Info on this Game:
(PC/PS2/Xbox)

Every year, LucasArts readies an arsenal of Star Wars games, ships them, and waits for the profits to roll in. It's no secret that Star Wars has millions of fans, and many of them are gamers; unfortunately, quality is not always an issue for an audience that grew up with Luke Skywalker. But last year's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was a huge step in the right direction, courtesy of RPG giants BioWare -- and may represent a new leaf for the popular franchise. While Battlefront is from a different developer and of a different genre, it seems that the balance of The Force may be once again tipping towards the Light Side.

Despite the fact that the game isn't going to be released until this fall, the developers at Pandemic -- admittedly last responsible for the could-be-better Clone Wars game -- seem to have gotten off to a prodigious start. Borrowing some ideas from EA's Battlefield 1942 on the PC, Battlefront is a squad-based first-/third-person shooter -- you choose -- which has teams attempt to gain control of numerous checkpoints in each map so one can be declared a winner.

Even at this early stage, the game engine is attractive and runs smoothly, even on the beleaguered and swiftly aging PS2. This is an impressive feat given the size of the game's levels and conflicts: each map is a huge environment, many with significant outdoor portions, with dozens of A.I. soldiers running about. Graphical effects are of paramount importance to the team, who claim they're trying to squeeze the last drops of power out of the PS2. Of course, the PC and Xbox versions have those bells and whistles to begin with, so hopefully. The game features what the developers call a "romantic camera," a softening glow effect similar to the bloom featured in the PC version of Deus Ex: Invisible War or the soft focus of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

But perhaps more interesting than the graphics is the "metagame" driving Star Wars: Battlefront. Tentatively called "Galactic Conquest," this mode will throw players into a full-scale war. Once you capture every checkpoint on a planet and defeat the enemy's forces utterly, you'll control that planet. Control all of the planets and you'll win the game -- but you may have to go back to a planet you'd already won to do some mopping up if things fall out of your favor while you're traveling through the galaxy on other missions.

"Leftenant Sebastian, reporting for duty."

In single-player mode, each side has 32 soldiers, so you're going to be embroiled in some pretty big battles before the game is through. Although you'll be backed up by bots in the single-player game, A.I. is currently being worked on and you can issue commands to the soldiers in your general area. Once you control a planet, you receive bonuses -- including the ability to unlock special characters, like Darth Vader or maybe even Luke Skywalker.

Of course, what will get Star Wars fans hot under the collar is the fact that the game contains such a heaping helping of the characters (such as those just mentioned) and locales they know and love. Taking place across ten worlds, with sixteen different maps, Battlefront represents a huge chunk of Star Wars real estate. The developers have decided to leave no one out in the cold, either, when it comes to the game's timeframe; you can choose to play the original movie trilogy timeline or the Episode I-III period.

To bring these environments to life, the developers started by watching the five currently available movies multiple times and thinking about which scenes and locations would make for the most epic, engrossing maps and battles in a video game. LucasArts provided reference materials for the artists at Pandemic to work off of, and design of the game began.

Since some locales aren't featured in one continuity or the other, you won't be able to access all the planets at any time. Geonosis, for example, which is desert world featured largely in the last third of Episode II, will only be open if you're fighting in that continuity. Yavin 4, where a Rebel base is secreted in the original films, is also featured in the game, for the original trilogy time period. Its canopy of trees, with sunlight streaming through, and scattered ruins -- which the Rebels used as bases -- are quite striking even this early in development.

On the other hand, Tatooine features in both eras, although, of course, what vehicles you can use changes depending which era you're fighting in. Naboo, as seen in Episode II, is filled with courtyards, stone edifices, and nooks, crannies, and balconies to fight from. While creating levels the designers decide whether the locale would be better for straight infantry or vehicle-based fighting and design appropriately, keeping the appearances of the areas in the films in mind.

No time for a senatorial meeting, I'm sure.

Each period has two sides, with several unique soldiers, for a grand total of 24 different types -- but it's not an even split of six units for each of the four sides. Nor are these combatants carbon copies of each other; the designers promise they are striving to avoid cookie-cutter syndrome. They do this by designing special abilities into each and every type of trooper. The Rebel spy, for example, can disguise himself as an Imperial unit and sneak behind enemy lines -- but the Imperial officer can unmask spies, making things tricky for both sides. That Imperial officer can also call in orbital strikes from ships, laying waste to exposed Rebel forces. A Rebel pilot automatically ejects from any vehicle when it's destroyed -- unlucky soldiers who aren't pilots will go down with the ship. Environmental elements, like Ewoks running to and fro on Endor, are also planned.

If you're looking for an example from the newer films, there's a Clone warrior with a jetpack who can access vantage points on the map nobody else can get to. There's also a Clone sharpshooter who can launch a probe droid that can either investigate remote areas or self-destruct to damage enemies. These special abilities don't only promise to be fun to play; they enhance the necessity of players making up squads of different types of characters and using teamwork to win. Vehicles, of course, are based on those in the films, and everything from AT-STs to the desert vehicles used in the climactic battle at the end of Episode II is represented.

Network gameplay is, of course, of immense importance to a game like this. Fortunately, this is provided for, using GameSpy technology on the PS2 and PC and Xbox Live on the Xbox. While all three versions are currently cross-compatible, Xbox Live is a closed network and likely won't be able to talk to the other two versions when all is complete. PS2 and PC? Well, that's another story -- it's not yet decided. Just as the Xbox version supports the Xbox Live headset, the PS2 version will support the SOCOM headset, and in a more potentially exciting development, will also support the upcoming PS2 hard drive, which ships in the next couple of months. Downloadable maps for all versions are a possibility as well. Two-player split-screen on and offline for both console versions will add to the fun for players used to fighting it out side-by-side.

Better yet, you can play the Galactic Conquest metagame as described above online with a huge group of 16 real-life comrades on each side on consoles, or 32 on PC. Your progress as you battle for control of the galaxy over the course of 30 different matches can be saved and continued until the whole mode is completed. There will be tons of stat tracking, too -- the early build tracked every aspect of the game to generate a report on each player's style and complete records, and that data will be available to peruse online.

"Hey, guys, this is a perfect spot for our picnic."

Star Wars: Battlefront will feature "all the greatest battles" of the films, according to LucasArts' Jim Tso, the game's producer. Normally, this sort of hyperbole is easily ignored, but given the planned scope of the game and the progress made on getting it running well so early, it's easy to fantasize about that prediction coming true. It's too early to tell exactly how good this game will be in the end, and Star Wars fans have certainly been burned before -- but Star Wars: Battlefront has all of the building blocks of an addictive and successful action shooting game.
Old 01-15-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I personally cannot wait to get this and Republic Commando this year for Xbox. It looks like SW is finally getting back into a good grove after KOTOR.
Old 01-15-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Star Wars to death but I've never been so disappointed with Star Wars games as I was this year, sans KOTOR. Clone Wars for the Xbox was so choppy and laggy, and Jedi Academy was painful to play and watch. I want these to be good games but I have a feeling...a bad feeling...they won't turn out as good as they sound.

Jeremy
Old 01-15-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who is the more foolish?

The fool or the fool that keeps buying these games?
Old 01-16-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hell, you can even mount a tauntaun.
Yikes. This game will be rated Mature, I take it?
Old 01-31-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A Trailer and New Pic's are up @

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/battlefront/

Old 02-05-04, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
very nice. I guess that mod for BF1942 isn't needed anymore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.