PS3 to integrate EyeToy technology?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-03, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS3 to integrate EyeToy technology?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content...e=DEV&aid=2625

Rob Fahey 11:23 26/11/2003

Minority Report style menu systems on the, er, menu for Sony's next console

Comments made by SCEE vice president Phil Harrison in an interview with the Australian Financial Review suggest that a more advanced version of the EyeToy motion sensor is being considered for PlayStation 3.

Speaking to the business publication, Harrison stated that Sony is investigating the integration of a motion sensing device into its next console, and suggested that the existing EyeToy was a preliminary test for the technology.

"EyeToy was a signpost for things in the future," enthused Harrison. "If you can attach very high-resolution, low-cost video cameras you can deduce some quite interesting things about their users. We'll be able to extrapolate eye movement and gestural recognition, more complicated finger movement, and the logical next step of that is to deduce from a person's facial expression and demeanour what their emotion state is."

Harrison also discussed the possibility of the new console sporting a menu system which was entirely driven by hand gestures, comparing it to the computer system used by Tom Cruise's character in the movie Minority Report.

Although there's no guarantee that a motion capture camera will be integrated into the PS3 hardware, it seems like a logical move for Sony on a number of levels. As well as opening up new gameplay possibilities, and scaling down the importance of the joypad interface - often seen as a barrier to more mainstream acceptance of gaming as a pastime - it would offer a number of other benefits to the console.

For example, online multiplayer games - an area which Sony is sure to promote strongly on the PS3 - could use the feed from the camera for in-game message windows, allowing you to see your opponents and teammates as well as hear them. Although there are obvious privacy and security issues with such an approach, it's not hard to envisage video cameras being to the next generation of consoles what voice headsets are to the current generation - and Sony would certainly gain a headstart in this area by including one with the console hardware itself.

Chris
Old 11-26-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, there's a surefire way from keeping me from buying a PS3.
Old 11-26-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
That's kind of cool.
Old 11-26-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Playstation 3: We're Watching You™
Old 11-26-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So if you were to actually do something that involved the built-in Eyetoy..wouldn't you need to sit directly in front of the unit? That sounds like a pretty dumb idea.
Old 11-26-03, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait to flail my arms around ala Cruise to get a game loaded up
Old 11-26-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Does anyone think they wouldn't leave the ability to do it with the controller in?
Old 11-26-03, 02:39 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Draven
Does anyone think they wouldn't leave the ability to do it with the controller in?
Of course, but it's more fun to bitch and moan about it
Old 11-26-03, 08:55 PM
ME2

Don't get dressed while playing the PS3 EyeToy.
Old 11-26-03, 10:34 PM
Banned

Cool this means when I masturbate to the new Lara Game modal she can react to what I'm doing kick ass. OHHHHHHHH yeah you could do so much cool shit like that with games and that camera. OHHHH yeah Lara can you tell where I'm moving my hand over now baby (guy some family guy vocie)ohhhhhhhhhh yeah.
Old 11-27-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Well, there's a surefire way from keeping me from buying a PS3.
Well, that and the fact that somewhere on the machine, the word "Sony" will appear.
Old 11-27-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally posted by jw2299
Well, that and the fact that somewhere on the machine, the word "Sony" will appear.
ouch