Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Please help me pick a surfing game for Xbox...Kelly Slater or Transworld?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my X-Box for only about 6 months and I'm still learning, but from the beginning I wanted to pick up Transworld Surf.

However, I have a limited budget and other games just seemed to come along that I got first.

I just received a $25 gift ceritificate to a video game shop and they have Kelly Slater's surf game for $15, which means it will be free.

The guy at the store told me he thought it was better than Transworld Surf, but he also wanted me to buy his game so I didn't know.

The online descriptions make them seem about even, but Transworld looks a bit more fun.

Can I please get some opinions on what to do here? Is the Slater game just as good or better, what about graphics, and what about just having fun?

If they are even, then I should go for the free game and still have some money left over. But if Transworld is better, I would only regret not getting it and I should suck it up and spend the $30 to get it.

Please let me know what you all think. Thanks.
Old 11-23-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone? Please...I need to make a decision by tomorrow because the store held the used Kelly Slater game for me for 24 hours.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've sold at least four of copies of Slater on ebay in the recent past and they all sold above $15. If you don't like it you can dump it and get your money back. I never played it but it definitely seems popular.
Old 11-23-03, 10:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I'll sell you Transworld. Opened it once, it was pretty fun, but I'm like 45 games behind.
Old 11-23-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trevor
I'll sell you Transworld. Opened it once, it was pretty fun, but I'm like 45 games behind.
That's kind of why I asked about them both.

Free is free and I can get the Slater one for nothing with my GC. The Transworld one goes for $30 locally at other stores or I could take my chances with Ebay, where it's listed around $15 (plus shipping) new or sells for $8-$10 in mint condition (plus shipping).

But I don't want both, we are not huge gamers. If you want to dump the mint Transworld it would have to be at a great price or maybe I'd have a dvd that you could/would trade it for.

I'm really trying to find out whether there's a huge difference in the games and, if so, what, so that I can decide on tossing out more money or grabbing the free one.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-03, 11:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Did you peruse www.gamerankings.com ?
Old 11-23-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trevor
Did you peruse www.gamerankings.com ?
I think you really need to know a lot more than we do about all games for those rankings to be useful.

Slater's got an 80% from gamerankings and an 8.9 from IGN which was where I had checked before I posted.

Transworld gets a 73% and an 8.8 from IGN.

That's pretty damned close and in reading the reviews it didn't help compare the two.

It "seemed" like Slater's was a more serious game, but damned if I really could tell why. Is it more complicated? If so, then maybe it's not for us.

The one big complaint of Slater's was the view of the surfer and not seeing where you're going. Yet, in the Transworld you do see where you're going.

A big complaint of Transworld was that it puts in "silly" things like turtles, piers, sharks, and dolphins that really have nothing to do with surfing. Well, ok, but do those things get in the way of the game itself or might they be fun for someone who's not trying to have the most intense experience possible? I can't really tell.

For 2 rentals at Blockbuster, I can buy a mint Transworld on Ebay. But if Slater is really better all around, and isn't just the better one for really experienced gamers, than I can pick it up tomorrow for no charge.

I'm glad I'm married with a child who can grow up with 8 billion choices of games. We only have a handful, but it wasn't such a big deal when the choice was Asteroids or nothing.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 11-24-03 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-24-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
I have Kelly Slater. Bought it for $18 after that great IGN review. I wasn't very impressed. It's pretty slow and doesn't seem to be nearly as much fun as the Tony Hawk games. Maybe I just don't get it and I've never played the Transworld one for comparison, but I wasn't a fan at all.
Old 11-24-03, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Decker
I have Kelly Slater. Bought it for $18 after that great IGN review. I wasn't very impressed. It's pretty slow and doesn't seem to be nearly as much fun as the Tony Hawk games. Maybe I just don't get it and I've never played the Transworld one for comparison, but I wasn't a fan at all.
Thanks, that helps a bit. If I can just get someone's opinion who's played both now. You might not like the other one too. The reviews, as I stated, don't really compare the 2.

They are very close in their scores/grades and both seem to have their advantages. But, if I can get someone to elaborate on those, it would really help, because if truly they are both even close to be even overall, then I might as well pick up the free one.

My concern is that the Slater one is for the more hardcore gamer, while the Transworld might be more fun without being all about skill. If that's the case, I just need to buy the Transworld one and use the GC on something else.

I don't like buying games from Ebay, so a new Transworld will run me $20-$30. It might not seem like much, but in our house right now we don't need to be spending that one a game if the free one is as good or better.

Again, thanks.

Trevor, did you want to consider a trade or can you do $10 shipped of the used one through paypal?
Old 11-24-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought Transworld a while ago for $10 at Best Buy, played it once, and traded it in at Gamestop. I guess I like Tony Hawks, SSX and Amped more.
Old 11-24-03, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by dolphinboy
Slater's got an 80% from gamerankings
Transworld gets a 73%
Gamerankings takes reviews from dozens of media sources and comes up with an average. It seems more accurate to me than to just go by the reviews of one site - that said - I don't really put all my faith in reviews. But since you're looking for varying opinion - gamerankings is where you should look first.

Wakeboarding Unleashed got an 82% on gamerankings and it's gotten alot of solid praise - it apparently uses the Tony Hawk formula and gameplay mechanics and adds some twists and water. I've yet to play a surfing game that I liked and I have yet to play either of those, but I have played surfing games... and I've gone surfing.

Last edited by Trigger; 11-24-03 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-24-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
I think surfing games are, by their nature, flawed. Unlike skating or snowboarding games, surfing games require the camera to be in front of the rider so that you can read the waves. This make controlling the rider during the ride awkward and counter-intuitive. I don't know if there's a workable solution, I just know that it isn't very fun to play (at least in KSPS)