Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

40 Nintendo games built into the controller.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I apologize if this has been discussed, and if it has, please fill me in. I searched for various terms for ten minutes.

Alright, so this guy at the mall is selling this set. It's a box with three controllers - one looking like a Super Nintendo joypad, another is a light gun and another looks like the nintendo64 controller.

All the games (all old-time Nintendo games, like Mario, COntra, Duck Hunt etc) are built into the controllers themselves. No console. The controllers hook up with RCA cords, and that's it.

Having played Duck Hunt with the gun and having memories brought back, I wondered would this be a good gift for my nephew (he's 3, so I thought it'd be a good 'starter set'). Any stories I should know? This mall is a nice place, and I doubt someone would be getting away with selling boots. The set is $45 - just over a buck a game.
Old 11-23-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Do you have any picks? I have not heard about a Nintendo compilation. Have seen some generic ones.
Old 11-23-03, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen nintendo ones sold out of hong kong... but they were all in PAL.

I would tend to doubt the legality of this product... although it still sounds neat.

Is it kind of like the namco and atari ones that recently came out? Those are $20 - $25 price range.

Last edited by QuAcKeR; 11-23-03 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-23-03, 02:42 AM

Wouldn't touch those with a 10-foot pole... they proclaim to be 1,000-in-1 games but they're just clones of the HK famicom carts that were popular way back when. But I will say this, it's an easy way to play Famicom titles w/o having to get a Famicom. But beware, not all of these machines have a port for a cart. they will play NES games like a toploader but the sound emulation just isn't the same plus you need an adapter. I have a couple of relatives that have these things and they're cool just for a couple of small games but no major titles are on it. They're normally sold at swapmeets and here in downtown LA. Don't overpay for it... i think you'd be able to find something like this on ebay for a cheaper price.
Old 11-23-03, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

another looks like the nintendo64 controller.
Is this it?

From the review:

One of the admins from the Power Joy site assured one user on their forum that all of the proper licenses had been cleared, but being the suspicious type, I e-mailed Nintendo of America's legal department to verify. Their response was that "unlike previous versions-- i.e. Power Joy I & II-- none of the titles shown on this page infringe Nintendo's intellectual property rights."

That said I'm not really convinced because all that means is that none of the games on the system are owned by Nintendo. It doesn't mean they cleared the rights with Namco and the other companies whose games do appear. Use your own judgment.
Old 11-23-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We actually just picked up a different one, that is a joystick and has Namco games (Bosconian, Dig Dug, Rally-X, Galaxian and Pac-Man). Picked it up at walmart for about $17. My kids (3 & 5) are loving it... it seems to faithfully reproduce the games very well. Even my wife who is not a gamer has become addicted to Rally-X.

It is battery powered and has the composite RCA connections. We got it for use on the TV in the mini Van for an upcoming trip.

Normally I would have just bought one of the compilation disks for the X-Box or cube, but picked this up with the trip in mind and seems to be working great.

Update: Target has the one we just bought in their ad today for $14 ... got to go get my $3.98 difference back from Wal Mart

Last edited by sniper308; 11-23-03 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-23-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by Dan Average
Is this it?
Doesn't sound like it. The light gun is built into the N64-ish controller for the Power Joy, and the second controller is modeled after a PlayStation controller, not the SNES. Also, the Power Joy doesn't have the games listed in the first post (though there is a reskinned SMB and the clay shooting portion of Duck Hunt).
Old 11-24-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Dan Average
Is this it?
No, but I do think it's made by Power Joy; also, I was wrong earlier - it's 76 games, for $45.