Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Manhunt

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Manhunt

So has anybody seen any reviews for this anywhere? I know that alot of people are looking forward to it, and it's coming out this week.
Old 11-16-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I'm renting it. Will let you know.
Old 11-16-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts
I'd rent it if it were on Xbox
Old 11-16-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The box art frightens me
Old 11-17-03, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It honestly looks terrible to me, and I don't think it'd be getting this much notice or hype if Rockstar wasn't behind it. I could be wrong though. We shall see soon enough.
Old 11-18-03, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im somewhat interested and tempted to pick this one up, but everytime i think about it, i dwell on what happened with State of Emergency.
Old 11-18-03, 07:31 AM

... or Max Payne.
Old 11-18-03, 02:49 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

yeah because max payne was horrible
Old 11-18-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by illennium
... or Max Payne.
I can see the State of Emergency argument - but Max Payne? That title was very well received, and only helped bolster Rockstar's image along with the GTA series...

I'm looking forward to Manhunt; it's one of the few PS2 titles that I'm interested in at the moment - although I will probably feel dirty while buying it...
Old 11-18-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I soooo need a review for this game. I'm urging to play something, but I don't make blind purchases anymore( I fell for state of emergency...doh!).
Old 11-18-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
This game and Suffering are two that I'm curious about, but haven't seen much in a long time.
Old 11-18-03, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
yeah because max payne was horrible
Roll your eyes all you want, but the writing in Max Payne was awful.
Old 11-18-03, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by cheapskate
I can see the State of Emergency argument - but Max Payne? That title was very well received, and only helped bolster Rockstar's image along with the GTA series...
I did honestly think that Max Payne was terrible. Since there are many aspects to a game, it's possible that those who liked it ignored the faults and focused on the better features, but I found the game unplayable for the following reasons:

1. The writing was atrocious. I'm a writer (though not a great one) and these things matter to me. It's disappointing that in a story-driven game, so little effort was put into the writing. At one point, the narrator described the situation as being "laden with forboding." That would be unacceptable in even a low-budget Hollywood movie, and I expect similar care in games.

2. The graphics, at least on the PS2, were really weak. Max's feet never seemed to touch the ground, which was distracting, and the turning looked fake (like you're a cube rotating rather than a person turning). The art direction was exceedingly generic.

3. The gameplay got monotonous, though it was definitely pretty fun for the first hour or two.

4. The dream sequences...
Old 11-18-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh please; you didn't like it because the writing in the skippable cut-scenes wasn't up to your standards? :rolleyesTOTHEEXTREEEEEEME!!:

Bah, you posted an extended critique at the same time... anyway...edited to add:

Max Payne, like almost every other game, had elements that could have been improved; or in the case of the dream sequences ELMINATED - you're right those levels were a chore... but this title can hardly be lumped in with State of Emergency as a reason to doubt the quality of the newest Rockstar game.

I only played the PC version however, the drop in graphical quality is to be expected on the PS2.

God, I am such a rabid Rockstar fanboy I just peed my pants...

Last edited by cheapskate; 11-18-03 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-18-03, 06:09 PM

gotta weigh in here... yep, we all know it, the dream sequences sucked big time! But the writing was classic film noir cheese! Look, even the hater remembers lines and I think that says something. If it was really bad, it would be utterly forgetable, not so memorable.

"The sun went down with practiced bravado..." Classic!
Old 11-18-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, some of it was. But I am glad it was cheesey, otherwise we wouldn't have seen Dick Justice or John Mira in Max Payne 2. They basically poked fun at themselves.
Old 11-18-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Max Payne was one of the most fun single-player games of the last decade, so I can't be talking bad about it

ign has their review of manhunt up - 8.5 out of 10, and it sounds solid.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/440/440887p1.html

In the end, Manhunt is a highly polished strategy game of hide-and-seek, kill-or-be-killed gameplay. It's narrow in focus, but deep in its specialty. There is not much of a story nor are the levels terribly varied, but without a doubt, Manhunt is (with the exception of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty) unsurpassed in its unique brand of stealth and tactical combat. If you're up for a serious challenge and have a tough stomach, go get it. But don't make the mistake that this is an all-out run-and-gun action game. That would be a $50 mistake.

Ratings: Description:
out of 10 click here for ratings guide

8.5 Presentation
The content of the cutscenes may be grisly and harsh, but they're handled with care, skill and expertise.

8.0 Graphics
The video cams, static, old VCR tape effects and the like give this game a unique style. Excellent mo-cap and great gang character models.

9.5 Sound
The best audio on the PS2 this year: Excellent character voices and disturbing music. The sound-based audio AI work is peerless.

8.7 Gameplay
This is the definition of stripped down stealth. The old school, try-and-die gameplay is an acquired taste but the level of difficulty and skill-based gameplay is undeniably good.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
You'll spend 20-30 hours playing this game the first time through in Fetish. There's lots of replay value here with those and four bonus levels.

8.5 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)
-Rich
Old 11-19-03, 03:51 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
20-30 hours... wow, I feel like most single-player games/modes these days are a lot shorter. And who would've thunk that anyone would compare this game to MGS2 (that's probably the one part of the review that turned me off, actually).
Old 11-19-03, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like a rental to me. Too bad I don't have a PS2 anymore.
Old 11-19-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well after playing this for abit I have this to say...

It comes across very much like Splinter Cell. Alot of the time it's really a game of trial and error. And the death scenes make Mortal Kombats fatalities look cartoonish...it's not for the squeamish at heart.
Old 11-19-03, 11:16 AM

The IGN review is enough for me to get the game. I'll be picking it up today if I can find it.
Old 11-19-03, 09:14 PM

Gamespot review

Score 8.4

Last paragraph
Manhunt is an audacious game that backs up its extremely violent subject matter with solid stealth action gameplay. Subsequent games in this vein could stand to learn a thing or two from how Manhunt successfully provides all the tension and grim satisfaction that this style of gaming can offer but does so without so much of the sluggish pacing and trial-and-error tedium that hurts other games of this type. On the other hand, the shooting sequences do feel a little stripped-down and are rather overbearing, but the incredibly visceral action, coupled with the game's thoroughly impressive graphics and sound, makes even these sequences relatively good. Obviously, Manhunt isn't for the faint of heart. Like it or not, the game pushes the envelope of video game violence and shows you countless scenes of wholly uncensored, heavily stylized carnage.

By Greg Kasavin
Old 11-19-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am not sure if this is mentioned in the reviews but...I found out that the SOCOM headset is compatiable with this game. You can use it to listen to the director(voiced by Brian Cox) and use the mic to distract guards or get yourself into trouble! That sounds like a really cool feature.
Old 11-20-03, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by flashburn
I am not sure if this is mentioned in the reviews but...I found out that the SOCOM headset is compatiable with this game. You can use it to listen to the director(voiced by Brian Cox) and use the mic to distract guards or get yourself into trouble! That sounds like a really cool feature.
Wow, yeah it does....
Old 11-21-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm glad it's getting good reviews and all, and not to drag this off topic again or anything - but I just wanna point out that I didn't hate the dream sequence in Max Payne... I thought it was kinda cool. The blood maze didn't make me crazy - I finished it really quickly and could never figure out what everyone was complaining about. I thought that Max Payne - in the end - was just average because if you take away the bullet-time gimmick, it's just like everything else out at the time and the game was far too short - missing a chapter basically. I did enjoy it, but nothing all that special. Seeing that Manhunt is 20-30 hours is encouraging because I like getting my money's worth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.